Register now to get rid of these ads!

What amp fuse between bat. and ign. switch?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BlackFlag, Sep 14, 2005.

1. BlackFlag

BlackFlag

As the title states can someone tell me what amp fuse I need between my battery and ignition switch. I just barley got home on a burned out wire and so im heading to get an inline fuse.

2. 4tford

4tford

Like was said usually a 25 amp with 14awg wire for ignition. But you stated your wire burned out. You need to see what caused the wire to burn out fix that then add the fuse.

3. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

What fuse???

I don't think I own anything with a fused ignition.........

4. 4tford

4tford

I think we are talking what should be protection for an ignition circuit. All ignition circuits in production cars are protected by either fusible links (older production cars), Maxi fuses (today's production cars), and most aftermarket wiring has 25 amp fused protection for the ignition circuit. All that I am saying is if you don't have one of the above you could have a car fire should there be a short.

5. Big Pete

Big Pete

If you melted wire, it's not just a fuse problem. If anything your fuse is too big if the wire melted.

Size of the fuse is to protect wires distributing the electricity, once wires melt the fuse is too big as is....

Where did the wires melt after the fuse or before........?

If it starts and tests in the driveway, but blows fuse on the road you're sure to be shorting out, again not a fuse problem........

One method of troublshooting is to disconnect things see which branch is the troublemaker............

If you have fancy lights or big sound system you may want a "master battery switch" seperate from the ingnition

6. squirrel

squirrel

this started when, the late 60s? I don't have fuses in the ignition in my old cars, they never were equipped with them from the factory.

Sure, a fuse or link is a good idea, but it's not original, nor traditional.

7. 4tford

4tford

All factory wiring used fuselinks back then and it is original equipment I designed and released this stuff for over 30 years at Chrysler. Fusible link is usually 2 gauges smaller than the feed circuit i.e. 18 awg on a 14 awg battery feed into the ignition switch and they were approx. 6 inches long. This was to protect for direct shorts to the feed into the car, Fuse links were in the engine compartment on all battery feed wires as well as on the alternator circuit for protection. Your ignition circuit was protected for a direct short this way since the battery feed to the ignition switch had protection from the fuse link.

8. 2manybillz

2manybillz

9. squirrel

squirrel

starting when? in the 1960s?

I have cars from the 50s....sorry for the confusion.

10. 4tford

4tford

I was referring to the sixtes when fuselinks started and evolution after that. My point was for the orginal issue of protection for the ignition circuit and how it evolved and what you should have protecting it. Hot Rods need this protection reguardless of age is my only point.