Register now to get rid of these ads!

What am I looking at here?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 416Ford, Mar 22, 2008.

1. 416Ford

416Ford

Received my new gas tank yesterday and went to install it this afternoon but not as easy as I was hoping. Took out the original 46 Ford tank with the fuel pickup being on the bottom to what is in the attached pictures. Can anyone tell me what I need to do with this to get it to work for me.
    I told them I was running a carburetor and engine mounted fuel pump so I was expecting a simple pickup tube of some sort.
    Tank came with no paper work what so ever.
    Did get the sending unit installed with its own instructions.

Attached Files:

2. left is the rollover check/vent.....on the right is your fuel pickup. it also has a return, which you can plug if you don't need it

you need to trim the pickup tube to length for your tank. then plumb the fuel line

3. C-1-PW

C-1-PW

Yep, what 36-3window said.
    Since you're not running an electric fuel pump, you don't need a return line to the tank.

4. 416Ford

416Ford

36-3window, do I need to trim both to about a half in or less from the bottom of the tank or do I trim trim one and cut one off? There are three openings, one for pickup, one for return, one for ? Two threaded and one nipple.
    Also, what is the large washer for?
    I most likely never run a in tank pump so I am not worried about later use.

5. trim the tube at an angle . i make it barely touch the bottom . remove the other tube and plug the extra hole...i believe it needs a 1/4" pipe plug

the nipple you hook the check vent to with a fuel proof hose. mount the vent higher than the tank somewhere out side the car...not in the trunk! i usually put it up in the wheel well

you also should have a hole for a 5 bolt fuel gauge sender

6. 416Ford

416Ford

Thanks 36-3window, it all makes perfect sence and I can get it from here. Yes it does have a five bolt sender and I trimmed that up and installed it already.
    Thanks again.