Register now to get rid of these ads!

What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by usmile4, May 8, 2012.

1. usmile4

usmile4

I've seen the Sangria Sled in primer and I only wish mine looked as good. The color looks like it will be killer when completed...I've enjoyed following the build.

2. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you're using laquer primer, It has to dry, but it also has to shrink and fill in all the imperfections and sanding scrathes. The sun is the best and I used to wait about a week during the blocking to make sure the shrinking was done. If previous coats haven't dried, successive coats will trap solvents. Follow the specs sheets from your supplier as to film thickness and build rate. I don't use laquer any longer; I like the epoxies because of very little shrink.

3. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I spray the top first; spray from the middle to the drip rail on one side , then do the other. I start at the bottom of one side at the door and go up; I walk the length of the door and front fender, then half the hood from the center out, do the front of the hood , then the other side including the top of the fender. I do the whole second side from the bottom up then the decklid from the center out on each side. On the section left ( rear fender and quarter panel to the door edge) I leave the door slightly open so I don't oer spray where I started. I tend to use slower reducers and more reducer so the paint stays wet and I can blend 2 surfaces together as I go around the car.

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Probably not a good idea to paint when the metal is hot either.

5. usmile4

usmile4

Some success today. I started checking everything and found first of all that the regulator on the gun was not operating correctly so who knows what psi it was running. I replaced that and mixed a little more thinner and it seems to have better flow.

I did the two ladders and the plank and that helped with the roof although being as vertically challenged as I am it's still a reach to the center of the roof. But it looks much better.

6. Tin Can

Tin Can

Good to hear you got it figured out