Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What abouts a 1956 Buick Special?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jakedreamer, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Jakedreamer

Jakedreamer

:confused:Sooo I have really been thinkin hard about gettin a 1956 buick special 4 door(the only stipulation my girlfreind has.....now). It looks pretty straight but needs work on the interior. I rrrreeally want it but I wanna here what you guys have to say about it.... By the way he only wants 500 for it so I am being a little weary, the guy says it runs and shift good too. It would really help if the guy ever em-mails me back too. I hate when you have to wait for sh*t but thats life I guess.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

....Well I posted a add on craigslist which is where i origanally found the car......and it was sold. :| It is sad too, only you guys can understand how much I wanted the car. I planned for it like i would plan for a child.....I am soo...I don't even know what word can be used for this situation. She emailed me back and this is what it said..

hello i saw your posting on craigslist and i bought the 1956 buick speical that you are talking about.i have done some work to it and cleaned it up alot and i will take no less than 1500.00 for it most of these cars are selling for about 3000.00 now if you are still interested in the car e-mail or call kevin at......

Thanks for all your advice though, and prayers as well.

Ok, the one for 750 has sold too. I have found yet another one... it is the same color and everything reaaaallly nice, here in MI!! I have been looking outta state when there was one in my backyard the whole time. It is pretty decent, front crome is pretty rusty but i like the look of it( personally), and same with the back bumper. The engine runs like a song from what I have been told has the same tires it rolled out of the factory on!! The white wall part is actually falling off. The interior is in really good shape. The inside chrome is in awesome condition, front seats are a little raddy and the rears are pretty nice, aside from a few tears towards the rear window. It also has a cassete player installed and has a whole new exhaust. The only thing it needs is a brake booster (so if anyone can give me a deal or has one or knows where ta get one....pm me or post it) and a loving owner.

He has been ntrying to sell it for the better parts of about a year now I think, he is tryin to sell it for 2499...What would be a starting bid for you?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  2. If it runs, $500 is a good deal on that car. They have a few quirks - the starter button is in the throttle linkage, you have to floor it to crank the motor; the Dynaflow doesn't really shift per-se, you might read up on how those operate, they do have a low range though.

The only real issue with a Buick is they use a torque tube and coil springs. This means that should you ever want to put anything but a nailhead motor in the car, you not only have to do motor and trans mounts, you have to add some means of locating the rearend - 4-link, trailing arms, what have you.

Was it me, for $500 if I can test drive it and it checks out, I'd grab it, clean it up, put some junkyard seats in it or buy some covers for the stock ones, and have a fun summer car out of it. At that price, even if you put another $500-$1000 into it, you aught to still be able to sell it and break even should you decide you don't like it anymore.

As for the girlfriend and the stipulations, that's a whole other discussion.

3. 2Hep

2Hep

I'd get it for $500

4. Judd

Judd

Looks like a dual exhaust car. The bumper and manifolds are worth the price.

5. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

I wouldn't be "weary" that he wants "only" 5 for it. It's a 4 door... aint worth a lot to begain with. But for $500 it would be worth it....if it runs ok.

6. 51fleetline

51fleetline

500 damn homie...tell me where its at ill go get it right now....

7. Go for it, they are a blast. Side trim is worth cabbage as well.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it runs and drives ok it will be a hell of a comfortable cruiser that your gal won't mind making a road trip in.
    I had a 55 Special 4 door hardtop when I was 19 and wish I could get my hands on another one.
    As long as you don't abuse them the engine and trans should work for a long time if they are in good shape. That trans doesn't go for a lot of abuse though as my years ago experience proved.
    It's one of those cars that you don't want to get into too deep financially, meaning no high dollar interior or paint job. Think nice/presentable and have fun with the money you didn't blow on the 5k+ paint job or interior.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

9. If all goes south on this car, a running nailhead anything is worth 5 bones. Go find a running nailhead these days if you can. Bottom line, nailheads chrome up nice and have reasonably good power for a 50's car.

10. 454_4_ON_THE_FLOOR

454_4_ON_THE_FLOOR
    from Selden, TX

for 500 i'd get it and not think twice if it ran. can't beat a deal like that these days. jump before someone else gets it! i just lost out on a $50 327 cause i didn't jump quick enough :(

11. Squablow

Squablow

Being a Special, it can be converted into a 2 door sedan using donor parts if the desire ever strikes you. And if the car ends up being too big of a project, it would part out for much, much more than your initial buy-in price. $500 is a no-brainer, so to speak.

12. Jakedreamer

Jakedreamer

I have pretty much made up my mind that I am going to get it, just need him to contact me back.....:(

13. Castr8r

Castr8r
    Member Emeritus

Ya need to get this pile. They run like a turpentined cat! Ours would run an indicated 120 mph in low range. (Just glad Dad never found out...)

14. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

I had a 2-door rag top in High school.
    Loved that car.
    That Tranny does NOT take abuse well.

15. Jakedreamer

Jakedreamer

Everybody please pray that they guy e-mails me back. As soon as he does it is mine!!!! MOooooaahahahha......ok, calm down.....breathe..... Then I will do posts on the build......aaaaah the smell of sweat, blood and grease, don't ya love it?

16. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

good deal hope you get it..those cars ride so smooth

17. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

Just swapped for a '55 (Petematterson) They are a blast.

18. I think it would be fun to get one like this and make a Highway Patrol clone, not a cheesy rat rod deal, but done nice and as authetic as you can. would make great photo ops and might get some movie or TV rental income, but like has been said can't go wrong at twice the price...

19. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

go for it if it cames to it part it out and make some money.thanks

20. Century

Century

I say do it, but I'm biased.

21. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say do it also.. But, I'm biased as well, I have a wagon :)

22. Jakedreamer

Jakedreamer

I seriously am hoping this guy just doesnt check his email often.......

23. Jakedreamer

Jakedreamer

Same posted at top...

....Well I posted a add on craigslist which is where i origanally found the car......and it was sold. :| It is sad too, only you guys can understand how much I wanted the car. I planned for it like i would plan for a child.....I am soo...I don't even know what word can be used for this situation. She emailed me back and this is what it said..

hello i saw your posting on craigslist and i bought the 1956 buick speical that you are talking about.i have done some work to it and cleaned it up alot and i will take no less than 1500.00 for it most of these cars are selling for about 3000.00 now if you are still interested in the car e-mail or call kevin at......

Thanks for all your advice though, and prayers as well.

24. Sounds like she wants $1,000 for "cleaning" it up. call it a finders fee or chump fee because she has it and you want it, even at $1,500 if it is decent it is still worth it, especially if you have already put a bunch of though into it.
    I know you don't like the shake down but swallow a little pride and go look at it, ya never know and you could regret passing on it ...again.

25. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Get out there and look stuff is out there all day long for a lot better that a 56 4 door for not much more money. Trust me, I buy cars every week.

I bought a pretty nice solid 56 Buick 2 door post that ran and drove up on a trailer a couple of years back for $900.00. I paid more for it than I normally do for that kind of stuff.

If you really want that car, tell them you have cash right now and offer 1K. Worst they will do is say no. And you might get suprised.

26. Jakedreamer

Jakedreamer

I found another one same year and everything for 750, I am hoping that guy e-mails me back now. It needs a tranny rebuild and new drums but it is in better looking condition than the other one. Here we go again.......

27. carsentry

carsentry
    from ont canada

Hope you get!! I found the identical car, same color everthing, nobody wanted it because it is a 4 dr. Well i got carried away and shaved door handles, lowering it 3 inches, disc brake conversion etc.

Attached Files:

28. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I'd tell him to go fuck himself

but that's just me.

29. Jakedreamer

Jakedreamer

Well it isn't the same person, it was baught and the perso who baught it was trying to sell it to me. You don't know how hard it was for me to NOT say that....

30. Paul

Paul
    Editor

that's who I meant, the buyer trying to play you for the chump.

that is unless he could show you 8 or 9 hundred dollars worth of recipes..

if he put on a new set of tires and had new exhaust installed then maybe...

anyway, you are a better man than I for not saying it.

keep looking up and good luck on your hunt