Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What 4-speed shifter in a 40 Ford?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 40panel348, Oct 28, 2013.

1. I have searched the forums, but just can't seem to find the answer. What are you guys using for a shifter in your 1940 fords with a bench seat? I was told by an old timer that you can use a 57 Chevy Hurst shifter, but I thought I would see what else might work. Post some pics if you've got em. Thanks!

BTW I'm using a Muncie or T-10 trans...

2. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

If it were me, I would use a Hurst Competition Plus with a bolt on handle.

And for the handle I would take a stock 39 Ford shifter handle and adapt it to bolt to the Hurst shifter with a 39 stock boot.

3. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Look up this old post
    <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr valign="bottom"><td>[​IMG]</td> <td> </td> <td width="100%">THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > Traditional Discussion & Happenings </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="navbar" style="font-size:10pt; padding-top:1px" colspan="3">[​IMG] T & F Shifters (Top shifter for side shift trans.) </td></tr></tbody></table>

4. Big problem with any 4 speed shifter in a '35-'40 Ford is that you have to modify the X member to make room for the shifter, and the shifter is in an awkward position under your leg.

5. Muttley

Muttley

You may be able to get away with using a Hurst Mopar stick if you dont want to bend your own.

[​IMG]

6. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

<center>At Last! A shifter for your 4-Speed where your Hot Rod needs it! On Top and Up Front!</center> <center>The T&F Shifter is a heavy-duty unit that moves the shifter closer to the firewall in early model hot rods. No more awkward shifter placements or unsatisfactory shifter modifications. </center> <center>Easy bolt-on installation! Easy to adjust! Smooth and solid shifting! Bullet-proof construction!</center> <center>[​IMG] [​IMG]</center>

7. alchemy

alchemy

My '40 tudor has a Muncie behind a flathead. It also has the stock bench seat, but it's moved back an inch or two for more leg room.

I used a Hurst shifter with the handle that Muttley shows, but I heated and bent the handle forward a bit. I heated it on the horizontal section. I clears the seat and my legs just fine. The side of the X-member is notched pretty good, but all the original bottom of the X is still there, including the stock wishbone and mount.

8. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

What Gary says!
    I had one in my 40,, I had the others but you have to heavy notch the X-member to get it in and then its under your knee cap, yes you can bend or buy a moved over shifter, but it is still right at the edge of the seat. T&F Shifter puts right where it belongs.

9. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here are some pics of Richmond 4+1 ( 5 speed) with a Hurst shifter and the frame mods I made using reworked Chassis Eng. torque box replacement plates. I had it set up for a T 10 with a Hurst Comp Plus and had to move everything to the rear about 2 1/8 in. The 5 speed requires more side clearance for the shifter (about 1/2 in.) With the 4 speed you don't have to add much reinforcement to the left side of the X. I used the Hurst lever 4331 and it is not against my right leg and easily misses the stock seat even when fully forward.

Attached Files:

10. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

55,6,7 Chevy benchseat shifter. I'd try this or Hurst comp-plus shifter for a '67-'68 Camaro w/console. Stick pitches to the right just a bit. Werks great in a deuce.

11. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

How much is the T&F shifter?

12. wannadrag

wannadrag
    from WI

Looks $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

13. Adapt it somehow, to the stock column shifter.

14. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

$450.00

15. fordflambe

fordflambe

The Hurst website has information regarding everything currently available....The attachment came from their website........

Attached Files:

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Enough to cause you to have to hit the cheap beer section for a couple of weeks. http://www.hotrodscustomstuff.com/OLD_SITE/TFshifter.html Shopping around might get a better price though as that was the first link I found outside of the HAMB.

17. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

that T&F works great..I have one in my 32 bolted to a Muncie and Hemi motor. He also makes them for 5 speeds too

18. manyolcars

manyolcars

Do you have any better pictures?

19. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Like Crashnburns mentioned_I saw a 32 with a column shifter hooked up to a 4 speed. To use Reverse a lever was on the floor. Pretty cool

20. manyolcars

manyolcars

The column shifter was desirable when it came out in 1940, it gave more room inside the car, but wear on the grommets left you with a car that would go into two gears at once and you dare not to let the clutch out. You had to find a good place to pull over and open the hood and operate the shift arms down by the firewall. This was no fun, embarrassing to be seen on the side of the road with the hood open, getting your hands greasy, and maybe in the rain and dark. We hated column shifters
    The aftermarket floor shifter was the answer to a real problem.

21. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Jimmy, that column shifted 4 speed is a cool idea; One of the customers has that in a 39 Buick, with a large cable to operate reverse.

I like that TF shifter !

4TTRUK

22. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

Curious if anyone builds a floor shifter for a 40 Ford 3 speed and later side shifter box?
    39 trans are getting hard to find and pricey to rebuild.

23. 1941coupe

1941coupe

I have an old hurst in my 46 merc,hard to find

24. 1941coupe

1941coupe

fits 40-48 ford or merc

Attached Files:

25. khead47

khead47

Maybe adapt a 4 speed column shifter from an early econoline ( rare, but they are out there )