Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What’s the value of a 1955 Pontiac 3x2 setup?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GreaserJosh13, Jul 13, 2019.

1. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Hey guys I have the opportunity to buy a 3x2 setup with all carbs & progressive linkage. I do t even know if they made this in 1955, but I believe it will fit a 1955-57 motor. What are these things valued at?
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Im pretty certain the first Pontiac tri power was in 57 for the 347 mill. They made a lot of tri powers the intakes are common. I have a 58 intake I bought on the internet for $75. A complete set up with the correct carbs & linkage is harder to find. They where troublesome. so the end carbs got removed and block off plates installed. Or the entire setup removed and a 4V intake & carb installed. As far as price the ones I see are priced at more than im willing to pay.

3. belair

belair

will 55-56 fit on a 347?

4. carbking

carbking

1957 - 1958 three small Rochesters
    1959 - 1965 small center and large end Rochesters.
    1966 - three large Rochesters.

1957~1960 manifolds will MORE OR LESS INTERCHANGE
    1961~1964 manifolds will MORE OR LESS INTERCHANGE
    1965~1966 manifolds will interchange

1956 was dual quads
    1955 no multiple factory Pontiac setups
    1957 experimental dual quads, but no production; have seen one set.

Value depends on too many things to post here; but in general, factory cast iron setups with CORRECT carbs are worth significantly more than aftermarket setups.

Jon.

5. I had a tri power on a 55 287. The end carbs had the bottom portion of throttle plates ground off. They set on top of a block off plate. I had carb linkage and fuel lines hooked up. However it ran on the center carb. Three twos wouldn't have added any significant performance to a stock 287. But it looked awesome.

6. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Hey guys. I ended picking up the 3x2 & here’s some pics. It’s pretty rough. I wanted to get your opinion. It has Carter carbs which I believe are not correct.
    -Is it a Pontiac 3x2 from 1957????
    -What’s the value???
    -what’s the best way to clean this thing up? Sand blasting???
    -what type of carbs should be on it???
    Thanks
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  7. I don't think the carters are correct the end carbs seem to have the chokes removed. Do the end carbs have the idle adjust screws in the bases. I would value what you have at $100. the tri power water outlet is missing. The carbs likely are not rebuildable. Its really not viable to try and use it. its a collectors item conversation piece. the progressive linkage looks home brew. Clean it with hot soapy water and elbow grease.

8. carbking

carbking

If it were a 1957 Pontiac, it should look like this:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/1957passengerside3x2.jpg

Value is a stumper. As Old Wolf stated, the carbs are wrong, and probably not rebuildable. The fuel line are missing. The linkage is, well, something. As to the intake manifold, it appears the choke tube and exhaust tubes will need to be bored out, and new ones fabricated. No offense, but guessing a usable manifold in any condition from good to restored could be acquired for less than the cost to put this one in the same condition. I guess if you are happy, then it is worth (to you) what you paid for it.

Jon.