Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What’s the best place to find project cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LuckySpade, Mar 14, 2021.

1. LuckySpade

LuckySpade

2. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, the classifieds on this site have a lot of cars. That's a good place to start.

3. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

as above, craigslist, ebay motors, but the best way is networking. Talk to people who have vehicles similar to whar you want, it is amazing how often other people tell them about similar vehicles.

stillrunners and jimmy six like this.

4. squirrel

squirrel

if you want to find one that's within fetching distance, craigslist or word of mouth seem to be the best places to look. Ask everyone you know who lives near you....and watch CL all the time. The good ones get snatched up quick.

I've bought most of my project cars from CL, over the past 5-10 years.

also, knock on doors where you see old cars sitting rotting away, you might get lucky

5. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

6. goldmountain

goldmountain

Look close to home. Shorter distance to go look and to drag the thing home. Consider more than one specific make and model.

squirrel likes this.
  7. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

searchtempest allows you to draw a mileage circle around you and hit several sites takes a lil boogering to operate correctly but works pretty good once ya get the hang of it ..
    fabricator john
    miss you dad

8. Join or hang around with a local car club. Ask who’s got a project they want to get rid of.
    Also do some research. Find out what kind of project you want. What is within your budget?
    If you are going full hotrod. See if there is a local Model A clubs. Start there.
    There are a lot deals to be had on Model A’s

I would recommend to stay within your state.
    Make sure to get a bill of sale. Make sure you get a title. Make sure the VIN number matches.

Driver50x and MO54Frank like this.
  9. Squablow

Squablow

The best way to find a great deal on a project car is to tie up all of your available cash on a different project that's close to what you want but you're not totally in love with. Then, shitloads of sweet deals on really good stuff will come your way.

Honestly though, Craigslist is pretty dead for the last couple of years, ever since they went to paid ads, the volume of cars getting listed there is very low and a lot of it is from dealers and flippers with high pricing.

Facebook Marketplace is like the wild west, there can be deals on there but it's a clusterfuck of ads and sellers and it's hard to do a specialized search.

I've found a lot of great deals on projects at local auctions. Collectors and hoarders die, and all of their stuff goes in one day, to the highest bidder. Sometimes the prices go insane high, and it's easy to get caught up in the excitement, but I've also gotten some tremendous deals at auctions. It's tougher currently, a lot of auctions are bid-online-only for the time being so it pays to make an appointment to pre-inspect.

10. Get out and ride around in the city and rural areas, I have found projects less than a couple of miles from my home. HRP

11. HSF

HSF
    from Lodi CA

Drive around and leave notes on people's fences/mailboxes,. I work for the county so I see EVERY old everything sitting outside rotting. I left a note about this Plymouth and sure enough, the owner called and said he'd sell it. Rock solid, not a lick of rust original state of Illinois government car. Bare bones, car. I had it running right quick, doing the brakes and getting her road ready. Interior needs some work but going to he a great daily driver for me. Driving project, for 2500 bucks, I stole it. Screenshot_20210306-184230_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210306-184153_Gallery.jpg

Driver50x, MO54Frank, 40LUV and 8 others like this.
  12. HSF

HSF
    from Lodi CA

Found this little document while going through the interior. Screenshot_20210307-103711_Gallery.jpg

13. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Also, if you live in a drier climate, you may look in junkyards.

14. I get the "facebook marketplace" being popular..but, considering the average age of us who frequent this site, who are searching for traditional Hot Rods and Customs, they may not participate on Facebook.
    Considering this, it may behoove people selling traditional Hot Rod stuff to use Craigslist and Offer Up, as well as their favored Facebook site.
    Us old guys are slow to transition..maybe it's just us being stubborn.
    Some of us (and I know it may be hard to believe) don't text either.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  15. Every good deal I have ever come across has been word of mouth or something I saw sitting in someone's yard. I don't know that I have ever got what I thought was a good deal on something advertised other than maybe a sign in the window. Driving around and talking to folks always works best for me.

16. Thinking about this more, my 56 Ford, my 60 tbird, my 66 C10, my son's 63 C10, my other son's 51 Chevy pu and countless others were all word of mouth buys. None of them were advertised for sale.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  17. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

We need more info. Are you looking for a 30's Ford project or a 1950's-any make Sedan?
    What State do you live in? Always best to make sure the car has a clear title at least in CA. Some States are very lax, but not here.
    Agree that Craigslist has become a flippers clip joint. Offer Up is sometimes good.

Agree with others that word of mouth, estate/moving sales and word of mouth is best for something local to you.

Squablow likes this.
  18. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Don't know if there actually is a "best" place anymore. It seems like it is more or less luck nowadays. Most sellers have watched too much Barret Jackson.

19. Wouldn't an old farm with a dilapidated barn be the best site :rolleyes: ;)

scotty t and guthriesmith like this.
  20. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

For me, my back yard.
    I have a car from Australia, a tiny woody from England, a bare 40 frame, a land speed truck, a 200mph P-38 drop tank (I hope), 30 Plymouth sedan,,,,,, That is just the projects, I have stuff to keep running
    The question is will I live long enough???

TrailerTrashToo and Tman like this.
  21. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

I don't know where you are located, but I have a '50 Ford 2dr Sedan project for sale. PM me if interested. It doesn't need a whole lot to be a nice driver. Ron

22. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Call around to all the insurance companies, big city auto pounds, custom car shops and body shops. Some times people have big dreams and halfway through the process run out of money so the shop keeps the car and has to sell it..

23. scotts52

scotts52

Please tell us a little about yourself, where you're from and what kind of car, or era you're looking for. We can help, we just need more information from you.

24. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

I once got a tip about a car in an old neighborhood but the guy (a RailRoader) didn’t know for sure where it was so I used Google Earth to pinpoint its location. 39 Chevy Coupe hidden behind a hedge that could only be seen for an instant from the train as it sped by at 60 mph! So Typo, what you got hiding under that blue tarp?

25. You could also place a "wanted" add on craigslist, facebook,etc. But you will get responses from people who don't know an A Model from a Tri Five Chevy. But if they don't know what they have then you might swing a good deal. I have found some rare parts by putting wanted ads on craigslist and it is local so you can put your hands on it before shelling out the dough.

26. Just realized this thread is likely part of trying to get a post count up as I searched other posts... However, not a bad conversation overall. :D

27. Hellfish

Hellfish

There are a lot of Facebook Marketplace

28. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

True, that you will have more result the more people know of your desire. It does not always occur that one stumbles upon the treasure all by his self.

One thing in your favor is that the many owners of vintage autos aren't in it for the bucks. They are getting ready to check out, and need to know that their junkers are going to a good home. So spread the word in your neighborhood. Start conversations that wind up mentioning your interest in building owning a unique auto. You may be shocked by the result.

29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

best place? in the FREE section of whatever you are looking at.