Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What’s its worth.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jim Lato, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

anyone in wisconsin interested in helping me get her out of there?
    model a.jpg

2. alchemy

alchemy

Wouldn't be the first story on the HAMB of a guy fishing an old car out of a lake.

Have you seen the Model A bodies that Corn Fed has for sale? Search his classified ads.

3. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

i suppose i could get the ol johnny boat out and take piece by piece, maybe i could float that frame back on barrels.. lol
    this would be one hell of a good story to a start of a project

4. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

ya he was one of the guys, i really want to do business with him. he was one of the fellas i was talking about.

5. scotts52

scotts52

Use a hippo pedal boat to bring it to shore.:rolleyes:

6. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

You would like that wouldn’t ya! Haha would be a hell of a sight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Guy with a little paddle boat, barrels floating a 30’s car across the lake lol

8. Jim, looking at your long list of cars you own it might be time to prioritize and sell a couple to free up some cash,then you can buy a coupe body. HRP

1955 Pontiac Chieftain
    1973 Chevrolet Nova
    1971 Chevrolet Nova
    1974 Chevrolet Nova
    1962 Plymouth Savoy
    1948 Chevrolet Thrift Master pickup
    1977 Pontiac Trans Am
    1967 Volkswagen Convertible beetle
    1968 Volkswagen Convertible beetle

saltflats and Jim Lato like this.
  9. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Ya I been trying to sell all those vws I am not a vw guy just them free, and some novas I’m selling as well as that Plymouth

10. Put the VW's on Samba, they will sell. HRP

VANDENPLAS and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

I’ll have to look that up

12. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

[​IMG]or go see what the guy that owns this one wants it’s in south western Wi

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I picked this up for $600 and traded him some Redline Hot Wheels and saved another $170. I looked for 3 years and found a lot less for a lot more money. Found it on the Sitting and rotting thread. Scan0687.jpg They are out there.

14. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Dude. Wow

15. That car on the first page probably has a $100 cowl, $100 each doors, and they do not reproduce those quarters, so minimum a couple hundred each, the rest depends how solid they are. The top stuff can be replaced. And the title is more or less irrelevant, there's no ID number on the body to tie a title to one anyways.

I'd say the $800 estimates are about right, anyone saying less is stuck in 1975.

VANDENPLAS, 49ratfink and joeycarpunk like this.
  16. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Well initially, being a newby to 20’s and 30’s cars.. I was thinking gosh maybe 600 he would ask.. them everyone said they have yard art that is nicer than that and it would be free and 100$ I was like... hmm this doesn’t sound like good advice or whatever. But so far all the hambers been super helpful and great, I’m really passionate about building one. As I been going I been slowly putting things together and love it. Just can’t wait to get the rest

17. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Anyone got some scrap piles I can dig through to start the rest of my build ?

18. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

19. alchemy

alchemy

That Eau Claire guy is dreaming, and doesn't even know what he has (29 Fordor sedan is not a Model T).

20. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Ya I figured you fellas would like that

21. younglove

younglove
    from MT

My initial thought was $100 but then why, it's not truly worth that unless a person places zero value on ones time. I'd say get out of Wisconsin in your searching, get out of the mid-west in general.
    Even at $25/hour, you're in the hole after 4 weeks work vs finding a clean unit elsewhere.

22. Pretty sure I would get tired of this project quickly ,but thats me.(I`m into year eight on a 64 Riviera I bought in boxes) Go offer what you think is fair . I love resurrection builds . If you do go for it please document with lots of pictures . Sounds like it is time to step up to the plate.

Jim Lato likes this.
  23. fuzzface

fuzzface

I am not sure how long you been here but the hippo pedal boat story is true and was documented here a few years ago.

With B. Reynolds dying recently, it would be a good time to list the '77 TA on Craigslist. Might be worth it to add in your listing that you would entertain possible trade for the right old car. No better time then now.

What Adam posted above is true. when you get one and park it outside you will have people stopping to see if you are interested in some more or just even parts. But a heads up warning when the person says it is just like this one it can be totally not even related but to some an old car is just that an old car.

Another warning if you park one outside you will also have people stop and try to buy it because they will claim you will never do anything with it and when you turn them down, they start calling you a hoarder. :)

Good luck in finding the right project .

Max Gearhead and Jim Lato like this.
  24. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

I would not pay anything for it! Pass on it and save your money until you can buy a better one to start with. They are not that hard to find!

25. I also wouldn't buy it. I paid $1500 for an old race car body [34 ford] and after all was said and done, the only part of the body that was usable was the top and I had to do a ton of repair to it! Good news is I was able to recoup some of my $$$ by selling the old body parts to guys in Europe....they'll fix anything!
    This meant I had to source all the body parts, one at a time from all over the U.S. Took 8 years of scrounging and patching the coupe body together. You could probably do it quicker and cheaper [Model A parts are cheaper] but why? Get a better body and save yourself time and $$$. 34larrycane1.jpg 34floors1_09small.jpg 34front3_4ths2016.jpg

VANDENPLAS, Jim Lato and Max Gearhead like this.
  26. I would base my offer on what the sun visor and top of the cowl panel is worth.
    The rest is throwaway or yard art.

27. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

So I battled to get to that car down by the lake where I was telling you guys I saw it when I was 11, check it out [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

28. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

37 Plymouth

29. Not to be a wise ass but pay me to take it away is my feeling.

30. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

It’s nothing I’m buying. It’s free. I found it lol it was pushed down a 200ft cliff