Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What’s its worth.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jim Lato, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

turn my shop into a wood shop for a while then aye?? lol

2. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

maybe ill fire something across the bow, i havent heard back from him yet, i dont want to insult him but i wouldnt mind having that thing from the yard that i originally posted about. what do you guys think i should pitch out there for a starting #, i know i said 100, but i think id pay more. but if you were in my shoes and wanted this thing for cheap, what would you ask? 250? 300?

patmanta likes this.
  3. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

NEVERMIND! he doesnt want to sell the ones i was looking at lol

4. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

tell him you'll make him a deal on bothe the coupe and the vicky... always had a soft spot for vickys....

5. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

he wants 3500 for that vick!

6. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

coupester1.png People have started with way worse. This is my bunch of crap from our local model A guy who makes trips out to the drier provinces. The BC guy with the yard art probably got it from him which means it came from Alberta or Manitoba originally. If it had sat out in BC it would be nothing but an oil and rust stain in the dirt....if you're not into rebuilding the A & C pillars on that roof build a roadster...I'd say at least $750 it's a coupe save it

Oh and for those guys that don't like metal work and are intimidated by rust therefore put on airs that it is "beneath them" then advocate buying a more expensive car ...what are you thinking? this guy is building a hot rod not restoring a Model A! You're $5-10,000 in already and you still have a hunk a junk that needs major rebuilding plus the rest of a pile of rusty bent stock Model A shit you have to haul to the dump or haul back and forth to the swap meets for decades...for what? to save a little welding?? :confused:come on....

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  7. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man, from where I sit, this IS the donor body. Just need a good one on which to attach those doors and quarters. :D Still, $800 might be reasonable if the deck lid is lying around somewhere. Otherwise, not so much.

Of course, if your luck is anything like mine, you could go ahead and buy it and get started on the most difficult repairs immediatley. The moment you're done with those, a really good body will pop up cheap. That's how it works in my world.

treb11, Jim Lato and town sedan like this.
  8. so the owner will not sell the coupe? or are you saying the sedan is not for sale? If you are still looking at the coupe, I would go $300. That sedan body needs the panels above the doors and they ain't cheap, I think about $180 each. Don't be fooled, you can find all the parts needed for model As but some of the stuff gets up there in price, try to find the inside window molding for the rear quarters for the tudor sedan. They will cost you. Then you still have the rest of the trim to get regulators door latches etc... It does add up. All that said I would take a go at the coupe body. It's alot of fun welding up something like that.

9. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

I see threads like this and I scroll through. I read the responses, most say "it's a pile of junk" or "I would only offer $100.00"
    Usually I just move on to the next thread but today I am feeling fiesty.
    To the naysayers and pessimists: YOU ARE A BUNCH OF PRIMADONNAS!
    $100.00? The doors alone are worth way more than that even if the bottoms are gone!
    Jim, I hope you can buy that coupe for a reasonable price (in the Northeast this would easily fetch $1500-$2000.) Also, the cowl and windshield posts are the same for a coupe, pick up, and sedan for 30-31.
    So you could swap out that scary 'a' pillar with one from another cowl. Don't be scared, if I can do it, you can do it! PM me with ANY questions bro 578.jpg 20170527_175730.jpg 1524846301439.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. fuzzface

fuzzface

Another Wi. guy here. I was to a farm/consignment type auction last summer and a body very close to what the op was originally looking at was there. That one sold for $1200 and the guy was happy that brought it but he said he was getting close to dropping out himself.

46international likes this.
  11. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

there was that coup i originally posted at the very beginning, and a old Plymouth i believe as well. and he said no to selling both. spoke to his son and he said yea grandpa likes to horde all the old bodies.. so they just are gonna rot into the ground i guess. i mean there is alot out there and its the first time i inquired about one. all the "survivors" aren't going to survive there thats for sure.

12. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Ditto!!!

13. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

wheeldog, you crack me up brother. unfortunately the guy is hording all of the 27-37 stuff on that yard. and like i said earlier, what survivors are out there arent going to survive with him not getting off them, they have trees growing through them and out in the elements. just bummed to know that they arent going anywhere especially to any of us!

Nailhead A-V8 and wheeldog57 like this.
  14. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

ya i have scored some neat 30's and 20's stuff from auctions and what not. farm deals are the best!!!!

15. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

you guys got some badass rigs. im slowly gathering my collection. getting closer! just getting antsy:mad::D

16. Hello
    most important part of this project does not involve cut-off wheels, MIG or a tetanus shot. CAN YOU TITLE THIS THING IN YOUR STATE?...

17. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

yes, they have lightened up the laws here in the past, i dont know 5 or so years? bonding a title, but im unsure about if you cant find numbers at all.
    im pretty sure you can still get a hobbyist title or salvage or something? im the wrong guy to ask for a project this old, any wisconsin guys know this question? if you cant find numbers on a old old rod?

18. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

so far, this is what i got, for the front end some stuff i found for free over the years, found that grill in the dirt. and a good radiator. and the 46 flatheadv8 ford, trans and other radiator. also front suspension. so the quest continues for the frame and body, and all the other goodies
    23d55063b23cbd3522d7494f278c9370.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Don't get your hopes up and be unrealistic about how cheap it may be. Chances are it's 1)been sitting there for a long time. 2) you're not the first guy who's shown an interest in it. 3) he's asking way too much for it-and that's why it's still sitting there.
    Having said that, if you can/will do the metal work and can get it reasonable, grab it and then start working on it/looking for patch panels.

20. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

it was #3 but i love doing steel fab, so i was really hoping to get it, but oh well. i am slowly gathering my parts soon ill find what im looking for !

edit: it was #4 not for sale, out of the hundreds of them he has...

21. Tomincanada

Tomincanada
    from b.c.

Thats a beautiful table........that my kids would have full of peanut butter and jelly mixed with lego's in about two days. But still a beautiful table.

The37Kid and Jim Lato like this.
  22. Make a roadster after you pay $300 or less.

23. banjorear

banjorear

If you look around, you can get a driving Model A coupe for $6-8K. My dad bought an older, 31 coupe restored one (I mean 100% correct restoration) for $10K two year ago.

24. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Yea that would be sweet. I’ll have to find my money tree lol. I’d rather build one myself to tell ya the truth. Plus I don’t got unlimited cash, over the years I been collecting parts, soon enough I’ll have it all ready to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. 55styleliner

55styleliner

In my opinion buy a complete car and sell off what you don’t want. Better deals to be had that way and you’ll end up with a better start. There was nothing left of that body, except being yard art.

The37Kid likes this.
  26. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Here's what you do... you keep goin' back become sort of a pest but not quite. Look around for something you can buy ...buy it at his price just for the sake of warming the guy up to dealing with you. Bring up that he seems to have more projects than he can get to and leave it at that. Drop by from time to time to show you're still interested...one day you will get a call saying come get it

Jim Lato likes this.
  27. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

All those in favor of the OP grabbing it up, can you post how many hours you think it would take you to get it in primer? That means ready to be sanded and painted. Also how many years of experience it you have. Give him a real idea of how much work he has ahead.

28. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

you know, that is a good idea, obviously the ball is in his court. let him show me what he will sell. poke at him time to time. till he lets up a little. that is a good idea.

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  29. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

well to me, there really isnt a massive rush, i like making and creating things, fabbing steel, massaging and molding stretching and pulling. i enjoy taking my time and doing it right, but from what i did see in person of this cab, it will be alot of fabrication which is fine. but since its my first time with something of this sort, shoot im sure ill have alot of hours into it! but in the end, i like to think that im doing something that i love. unfortunately this 29 or whatever year it is, the guy wont sell. along with all of the others he has. BUT @Nailhead A-V8 im going to take his advice and work on him a bit. you never know. i may get him to say awe hell with it here ya go for a certain dollar amount

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  30. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If you still have all the enthusiasm you had at The Fall- Out last year when I met you, I'm guessing you have that on the road in 6 months. :D

Jim Lato likes this.