Register now to get rid of these ads!

What’s the rule of thumb before cutting coils?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Garage Concepts, Mar 27, 2009.

1. fat141

fat141

5. make part of it stop being a spring - that's what heating it does. Unfortunately, that part still bends, and I don't know how much the heat affects its working life (how many bounces before it cracks).
    For some cars, coils are still available - take a look to see if there's a 6 cylinder spring instead of your V8 to get slightly lower ride height + softer ride.[/QUOTE]

If you must use gas why not put the spring in a bucket of water with coils that you want to cut protruding? IMO you are asking for industrial strength problems if you try and cut them while they are in the car. Why hell bent on gas? Cut them with a disc and save all this shit.:confused

2. panic

panic

if you try and cut them while they are in the car. Why hell bent on gas?

Perhaps if you point out where I said either of those things we could discuss it?

3. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Yes! That's the only correct way to do it.:eek::rolleyes::D

4. fat141

fat141

[. I love hearing all the backyard engineers claim that cutting with a torch ruins the spring. In order for that to happen, the entire spring would have to be heated enough to ruin the temper,

Not so, if only PART of the remaining of the remaining spring looses its " spring" then you dont have a very accurate measurement for lowering equally .Not the way I would do it , but each to his own. To me, its about as dumb as heating your rear spring eyes and let the car drop down on a brick I know that it was done in the old days, but some of us have become a little bit smarter with the passing of time End result.... do it however you like:D

5. fat141

fat141

Sorry Panic, not to single you out, just the general trend of this thread.
    Opinions were ask for and you gave yours and I gave mine.
    Can ANYBODY honestly say that there is not a big chance of error if you cut them in the car with gas? They aint hard to take out and a lot of safety is riding on it
    Cheers to you all:D