Register now to get rid of these ads!

wet sanding hot rod flatz

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1949windsor, Apr 16, 2012.

1. 1949windsor

1949windsor

I know you are not "supposed" to sand it. I know its "supposed" to come out perfect when you spray it on....however I live in the real world of what can go wrong will. Does anyone know or has tried to wet sand say down to a 1500 or 2000 grit, and what the results were??

2. Master of None

Master of None

Just curious what are you planning to do when you get it sanded? If you buff it it will loose the flatz part of the paint. But there is a few cars on here that have hot rod flatz and has been buffed it doesn't look too bad.

3. Only one way to find out.

4. 1949windsor

1949windsor

still want the matte finish, just a better one... Do you have the names of the handles that have done it? I would love to see the results.

5. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

Used to have an o/t (way o/t) flat black harley fxdbi - and I was able to remove a light scratch with 1000 grit. Not really the same thing, but could be applicable here.

6. fiddy

fiddy

I would think you would want to wet sand the entire car if you try it. It will probably add a little shine to the paint. You could always cover it with a light over-reduced coat if the finish is too shiny after sanding.

7. Hanson

Hanson
    from Belfair

From my personal experience with flat clear or single stage, sanding and buffing always shines it up. You could always sand it to about 3000 then use a light scotchbrite with a scuffing paste. Comet can subsitute if ya can't get any scuffing paste. It's about the best solution I can think of. Good luck man. Let us all know what ya did and how it turns out.

8. j_johnson

j_johnson
    from Iowa

Just did my dads car with hot rod flats carnival red pearl. We wetsanded it with 1000 first. Then went over it with a grey scothbrite. We were going for the old and weathered look. It didn't have any effect on the pearl after sanding it. It gives it a lot duller look. After all the sanding we just washed off the residue. Only thing I noticed is it changes the color slightly. If you did this to a flat black it might make it look more of dark grey. It lightens up to color.

9. Hey check out El Bombero he buffed his sedan after spraying it with Hot Rod Flatz, but it ain't flat any more. If it was me I would sand out your imperfections and re-shoot those areas and blend it in, surely it would be better than sanding, otherwise it could turn out to be a disaster.

10. I'm not a big fan of Hot Rod Flatz because it does not lay down well at all. Most jobs I have seen turn out splotchy and mottled. I have a good friend who painted his '36 Ford Coupe in the brown color that looks like red oxide primer but with a gold pearl added. It's weird looking.

I did see a '32 Tudor in Street Rodder many months ago that was shot with a Hot Rod Flatz maroon and the owner color sanded it and buffed it and it turned out awesome. It had the look of a solid color lacquer that was slightly aged. I thought it looked great.

11. El Bombero

El Bombero

Yes I did buff my sedan that I painted with Hot Rod Flatz. I felt it layed down fairly well. I did get a few problem spots but it wasn't the paints fault it was mine. If you use the proper reducer, equipment and technique it will work fine. I have been painting cars as a hobby for 20 plus years. I sanded mine with 1500 and buffed it with the 3M cutting compound and followed it with finess it. If you are going to buff it make sure you put enough paint on. All that being said I will not paint another car that way. Mostly because I don't like doing the same thing over and over. I have a different idea for my roadster i'm building now. Look for an update on my build thread in a few weeks.

Good Luck,
    Mike

12. 1oldracer

1oldracer

If you use kustomshops.com Flatz single stage paint, it will lay down nice and it comes out even, no shiney or dull spots. I have sprayed 3 cars with it and have had no problems. It is satin not completely dull. It is the only Flatz paint I will use.

13. good paintjobs are made with a spraygun, great ones are made with a buffer. even if you buff flatz it wii dull up with weather ageing.

14. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

you loose the suade look after scuffing. its a bitch, espesially if its not laid down right the first time and you have to go back and fix it. the best way is to re shoot it. sorry.