Register now to get rid of these ads!

Westley's Bleche-White before & after

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dandingo, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Dandingo

Dandingo

I'm starting this thread for anyone looking for a solid white wall cleaner. This is my first experience with this stuff and all I can say is HOLY...CRAP!

before...

[​IMG]

after...

[​IMG]

I'm sure most people on here already have their own mix that they use but I thought this'd be good for people not sure about what to use. I just had to share my elation for this stuff!

2. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Yes Sir!! That stuff works AWESOME on white walls and white lettering. I've been using it for years. Just don't use it around polished aluminum wheels. It will stain them REAL BAD. I know from experience unfortunately. It takes forever to buff the stains out too.

Thanks for the pics, that looks pretty cool.

3. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Isn't there an oil or something you should treat the white with after... so it doesn't checker up?

4. john walker

john walker

lacquer thinner works too.

5. Dandingo

Dandingo

Thanks for the heads-up! I'll keep that in mind when I finally get new wheels.

Good question. Although I'd have to say on all four wheels, there isn't an inkling of cracking...yet. Anyone out there use anything to treat their white walls?

6. Racewriter

Racewriter

In a pinch, Westley's is a hell of a degreaser, too.

7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Westley's has been the whitewall cleaner of choice for as long as I can remember. At 64 years old that's a loooooooog time;):)

Frank

8. TexasDart

TexasDart

It cleans carpet pretty good too.

9. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Hmmm... I've been using that stuff for years and haven't ran into any checking yet... however it's not a point to over look. It could just be that my certain brand of tires didn't do it. I do know that Bleach White does get pretty deep into the pores of the rubber... I think some Armor All or if you can believe this... Mop n' Glow would work.

Not to hi-jack your thread, but when I was a kid working at Currey Aviation at the Georgetown Airport, here in CenTex, we used Mop N' Glow on the rubber de-ice boots on the leading edges of turbo prop King Airs and other similar aircraft. It's just as shiny as Armor All but it's more durable, and it DRIES. Imagine an Armor All finish that's dry to the touch and you could just brush dust off. For some reason I always forget to get that stuff for my tires and still use Armor All though LOL....

I swear i'm going to pickup some Mop n' Glow this weekend. Give it a shot!

10. Dandingo

Dandingo

Not a hi-jack at all, but a great piece of advice for anyone looking to clean a tire and KEEP it clean! Thanks!

11. Not2low

Not2low
    from Eaton,Ohio

Wait until you inhale some on a breezy day.Then you will know why it works so well.It has many uses.

12. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

I use Westley's on black-walls as well. It gets off all the old Armor-All and leaves the tires looking new. Then I just hit it with Armor-All and they look great. Here's a tip: if you squirt the Armor-All on the tire while it's still wet, then wipe with a clean towel, it looks more natural, not nearly as "greasy" and doesn't fling off.

13. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

I use brake-clean on mine...just spray it on a rag and not directly to the tire and wipe away! plus it smells good:p

14. Jarzenhotrods

Jarzenhotrods
    from .......

Unfortunetly Mine have checked. I bet there is no way to fix it except buying new tires..

15. shoebox72

shoebox72

I use it for cleaning around the house.

Billy

16. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

It also did a great job of making those wheels black also lol

17. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I just heard that the westleys attacks some of the natural oils that rubber has and shortens the life of the surface, and that you should treat it after cleaning. Don't know if it's true or not though. It sure does work good.

18. Elrod

Elrod

It works great, but put some kind of oily product on the tires after you use it, or whestleys will dry out your side walls and make them look cracked like the desert.

Armor All 'em or something. I've had to purchase new tires as well after Westley's.

19. 59KUSTOM

59KUSTOM

Don't use it on your new expensive wide whites! It WILL dry them out & make them crack. Castrol Super Clean works just as well & will not dry out your whitewalls.

20. JoesGarage

JoesGarage
    from Murland

I know this is slightly off topic - but know any good stainless polish? I have some trim pieces that have what look like water stains, but may be from something else previous owner used. I tried several products from the local Pep Boys w/no luck.

21. ^^The first two folks think this thread is awesome. The third just thinks it's okay.

22. Skunk Works

Skunk Works

Westleys works great, but according to Coker Tire, it DOES dry out the natural oils in rubber. When I dropped some serious coin on new bias ply wide whites, I wanted them to last and look good for as long as possible, so I bought Coker's "Wide Whitewall Cleaner". I've tested it side by side against Westleys on my hot rod and my Harley and Coker's cleaner works EXCELLENT. It's also good for your tires since it's fortified with natural oils. The cleaning action comes from a white compound in the cleaner, I assume a type of white jeweler's rouge in suspension, which kind of polishes the whitewalls clean. My Harley whitewalls get caked with brake dust and the Coker cleaner takes it right off and leaves the whitewalls glowing WHITE. I'm not sure how long it would take for Westleys to dry out a tire, but why take any chances when there's another product that works just as well, if not better? The only downside is that Coker's cleaner isn't available at the local auto parts store... Just my experience and thoughts...

Coldwar: Nice picture. I haven't laughed that hard for a long time. Thanks!

23. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

S.O.S. pads work better. and the run off that gets between the rim and tire doesn't turn into psychedellic art after the first trip around the block.

24. kustombypook

kustombypook

Try Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner. That is what my dad always uses on his boat to get the water spots off the chrome and stainless trim.

25. Dandingo

Dandingo

Good to know, I'll pick up a bottle of that stuff when I get my wide whites. Thanks!

26. scumfuxcarclub

scumfuxcarclub
    from Anaheim,Ca

i agree, Cokers is easier and faster to clean. I dig how bright white they get in half the time it took me to clean with the other brand. A little more expensive but definately worth getting. one reason i joined the alliance.

27. 59KUSTOM

59KUSTOM

Diamondback Classics recommends Castrol Super Clean. It works very well, won't dry out you whites & is easily available. It also has a million other uses. It was the only thing that would clean the crud off my jukebox.

28. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

You've got that right! I used Westleys to not only keep the wide white on the back my Panhead sparkly white, but to get the oil slung off by the chain as well!:D Worked great.

29. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

My buddy Amor All'd the wide whites on his Cushman scooter :eek:. They were blinding white, but he wondered why he kept falling over in wet grass :rolleyes:.

30. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

OMFG. You ain't lyin! Birds were runnin' around my yard and dogs chipin' in the trees.