Register now to get rid of these ads!

Westinghouse air compressor? Any info?

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Moloko, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Moloko

Moloko

I picked up an old air compressor today for my shop. It's a Westinghouse Air-Brake Company. Only info I can find is that they made air brakes for trains, not much on their off-train units other than some ads on Ebay. It's a 1.5hp 220v motor, and a v-twin compressor, and it was made in 1950. Anyone have any experience with these?

2. Thats what I have for a compressor motor. I've been using it for a couple of years with no problems. If you want I can take a pic to make sure we are on the same page. Todd

3. Moloko

Moloko

Here are the pictures of the unit. I got it cleaned and painted tonight. I used Rustoleum hammered paint. Turned out pretty good.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. badduce

badduce
    from aristes pa

any more info on this,i just picked up the twin to this.

5. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

I have one that is a little bigger, I would like to overhaul it someday it is kind of worn out and is currently "out of service".

This is a 15 HP 3YC model, it seems as if most of the internet information on these compressors relates to trains. I did find someone who offered kits to rebuild but can't remember where now.

[​IMG]

6. chrispope281

chrispope281

Hello Moloko I have a pump just like yours with no serial plate or model number and I am trying to locate some rings think you could copy the model number down for me. My pump looks exactly like yours.[email protected]

7. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

It's a good brand but obviously old. 1.5 H.P, is not indicative of a compressor that will do much work but if the price was right and you already have it, try it out. You may be happy with it or you may get frustrated when it won't keep up with an air sander or a paint gun. It appears that that the motor is wound for 220 v. only. Hope you have the right power source. I lived with a 2 H.P. Craftsman for a long time but now have a 5 H.P. Curtis that pumps up to 20 C.F.M. It's a whole new world.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. raengines

raengines
    from pa.

t30 is the model that comes to mind, when I worked for the power co. we had many of them. they were very good compressors and bulletproof, ran forever

9. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Mine is a big brother to yours with 5" pistons. Been in continous use since 1956. I bought valves, rings and gaskets from AIR POWER OF NEBRASKA INC. in Omaha at 1-800-727-7693

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  10. mlbeardsley

mlbeardsley

Just purchased a building with a 1955 Westinghouse air brake compressor that is hydraulic. I'm guessing it was used for the in ground lift. Everything part, line, gauge, motor, valves, etc. appears to be there. It is a Type 1 BYC, serial #268140 or #26814Q' 240 V 60 CY' the top of the compressor is stamped T37722, the front of the compressor is stamped T30749 and 0XX. It is an upright with a tank that appears to be in great condition The tank itself is stamped and labeled as Buehler Tank MFG, serial #A-3431, W.P. 200 lbs, UW52b ??, HDS 3/16 1056-A (not sure if this is model or style # of tank), shell 199 1956-4. The motor is NOT labeled...but looks exactly like your picture, the capacitors are there and the terminal block. It even has all the original fittings and the original gauge. It was last certified in 2005 by Labor and Industries in our state. It also has a very large flywheel like yours stamped T30999XX. After spinning the flywheel by hand...the tank still has some pressure in it...although it is not hooked up to power. I am having a tough time finding any info on this tank. How do I verify the motor???

11. wineslob

wineslob

mlbeardsley ,Your tank is 200 psi working pressure, the shell is 3/16" steel.
    Measure the shaft dia. of the motor and the hole spacing of the foot mount. You should be able to get close on what "frame"(NEMA) it is and HP.

12. Neil64

Neil64

I am selling mine. Located in Maryland near DC. It runs, is a little loud, makes and hold pressure. I suspect the pump can use a rebuild. The motor is huge. Twice or three times the size of the ones pictured here.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/m...739386854.html

13. Carl Hankins

Carl Hankins

Mine came from Jordan Dam in Alabama and I have been using it for 35 years. It needs rebuilding now.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  14. weld sptk

weld sptk

I read review on other forums on top air compressors, and my finding is Makita makes some impressive air-compressor. You can check Makita MAC700 as well. It has gotten impressive ratings on Amazon.

15. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

I dont know if you are still needing info on the compressor, but i see these daily at work. I have lots of info in the single cylinder models, and i have 2 2 cylinder units on the shelf. I work for an electric utility, and they are used in pneumatic high voltage breakers mechanisms.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Denny Switzer

Denny Switzer

Old thread alert and I’m sorry. A good friend of mine has an old Westinghouse Air Brake Co 1 BYC. It’s fugly but it runs well and holds air. His father owned it years ago and serviced big trucks. I’m attempting to assess a value. Anyone have an idea what one of these wound be worth. Like it said, works well, holds pressure but it’s ugly.
    Thanks for any info!

Attached Files:

Deuces and down-the-road like this.
  17. rusty valley

rusty valley

Looks to be a two stage, one cylinder bigger than the other. Thats a good thing. Any of these old pumps will out live the new box store junk, being fugly is irrelevant !