Register now to get rid of these ads!

were can i get some lead?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustumizer, Nov 25, 2003.

1. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

Does anybody know were i can get some lead to use as body filler?

2. wayfarer

wayfarer

The Eastwood Company sells lead and all the tools to use it.

3. Curt Six

Curt Six

They also sell the RESPIRATOR you should use when working with that stuff!

If you haven't used lead before, it would be worth it to "sit in" with someone who knows how to sling it. If you don't know anyone who does, look through your back issues of R&C - there was a decent article about a year ago. There was also a really good post on here, but I didn't see it in Tech-o-matic and good luck finding it.

Eastwood also sells a video that I've seen that gives you the basic idea. I bought their basic leadworking kit when I first started learning how to work with lead, and the video was included (along with paddles, some sticks of lead, tinning compound, files, etc.)

I'd recommend buying the stuff elsewhere since I've learned some pretty crappy stuff about Eastwood's business policies, but they do carry it if you can't find it anywhere else.
    Curt

4. MichaelDorman

MichaelDorman

5. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

tin, i want to get some lead because i would like to do the work on my car like they did in the day and experience like they did it.

6. lownslow

lownslow

yeah then you can experience the failures due to lack of technology too...just get a good plastic body filler .......lead is hard to use ...VERY TOXIC..... and fails in comparisson to modern body fillers....but its up to you.....if they would have had bondo back then believe me they would have used it over lead .........good luck you will need it..........lead sux.....

7. That's cool, I guess. Just keep in mind the stuff is toxic, difficult to work with, and is inferior to modern materials.IMHO. You'd be better off spending your time perfecting your metal working skills.

8. lownslow

lownslow

WORD tinbender........

dude not tryin to be a dick....just tryin to impress upon you that its not a good decision for you ..........

9. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

Thanks guys. i just wanted to say i tried it but maybe ill just read up onit instead of using it. Its cool you guys werent being dicks, youve been there and done it, i havent yet. Thats why i ask questions. Thanks Again. Nate

10. lownslow

lownslow

right on.........hey did ya get my reply to your metalflake thread ????? [​IMG]

11. Curt Six

Curt Six

I didn't want to burst your bubble either, but what these guys are saying is true. If you want to try it, go for it. But lead IS a much bigger pain in the ass than working with quality filler. I got all the stuff, worked with it a little bit to see how it worked, and now the paddles collect dust in one of my tool drawers. About the ONLY place I would see using it is around high-stress areas...like around the doors on a chopped top, etc. Even then, just invest the time in working the metal and use as little filler as possible.
    Curt

12. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

yeah ill have to read up on it. I dont plan on painting it for a few months but i want make sure i know how to do it before i do it. Im not sure if i have the rod and custom that you were in explaining it. Thanks Nate

13. Curt Six

Curt Six

If you can't dig it up let me know - I might be able to find it and xerox it for you. It is pretty neat how the guys that really know how to work it use the stuff...just too much trouble when there are better alternatives. Drop me a line if you can't find the article.
    Curt

14. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

kool thanks guys!

15. There is more than one reason why nobody uses it anymore.

16. buckethead

buckethead

If you really just have to try the lead thing, you might try to contact your local telephone company dude. I worked for them years ago and they used the same process to splice the big cables together. The cables were lead covered and the splices were sweated on useing the bar lead and the same type of wooden paddles. We still have this type of cable in my town. BUT PLEASE think about it, lead is bad news. Allot of old cable splicers have health problems due to this stuff.