Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Went to the spring swap meet today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ekimneirbo, Feb 29, 2020.

1. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

Hey Bill, been doing that swap for years and always had a good time. Uncleandy from Plymouth

2. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Buy at swap meets and sell on eBay.
    'Nuff said!

Squablow likes this.
  3. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-3-4_4-5-48.png
    Hello,

Maybe it is the constant “eyeing” of rusty or worn out parts that eventually gets to people after rows of stuff. I know we used to go to the big events in So Cal for just stuff and to look around. Our goal was of course, Hershey, but time and circumstances never matched. Money in the pocket does funny things…for the local searches. But, after a while and many of those events, it just was not worth the time and effort. To go up and down those aisles is to see pretty much the same stuff over and over again. Even as a hot rod guy, it was getting old, fast.

We went to the big west coast events in those early days. We even went to the big non auto related, but plenty of vintage auto stuff in Pasadena. That type of show lessened the disappointment of a constant barrage of rusty, crappy parts for sale at awful prices. Sometimes those other shows give a better prospective on vintage hunting.

It is nice to see photos of the events in Southern Cal and Northern Cal from @Jalopy Joker. His photos make it like we were actually there in the hot and cold environments. Only we are kicking back in our nicely climate neutral houses wherever. There were times when it was important to bash heads to walk an evert, but, we as old and new hot rodders have other things to see/do, these days.

Jnaki

Now, if we go to a vintage sale of “stuff,” there are plenty of things to do and see. Maybe it was stepping back a few years and then the hunt is back in play. At any rate, the small shows and sales have a hot rod vintage car section that is fun to walk around. Who knows? Maybe the next car is waiting…
    upload_2020-3-4_4-6-59.png
    This small show has 190 vendors, is located in sunny So Cal and happens on the 2nd Sunday of every month. If you go every month, it might get old. But, if you pick and choose, the stuff for sale brings surprises. With the aspect of vintage clothing going through the roof for young So Cal teens, there will be more booths for that purpose. If you have checked out the “vintage” clothing shops, the prices are like owning a 32 Ford instead of a cool, Model A Sedan. So, sometimes, small shows and events have stuff anyone might need. Do we actually need that NEW/OLD item or new car?
    upload_2020-3-4_4-7-34.png
    Saddleback College on March 8, Sunday with 190 vendors, food trucks, vintage trailers and more.

“This used to be called Driving Miz Daisy, but it’s now been renamed as the Coast Vintage Market. Parking is free too, on the second Sunday of the month.” This So Cal event was given a spread in a swap meet magazine as “one of the top places to go…”

Even before that time period, there were these little swap meets that had stuff from garages and storage sheds, not the massive factory rejects on sale from merchandising vendors or rusty stuff for sale.
    upload_2020-3-4_4-8-19.png
    So, a short drive on any freeway to the I-5 North or South, may offer rewards in a relaxing atmosphere that is a little different. It is much more enjoyable than one that is a few miles north in Costa Mesa.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  4. We all shop, and veiw swap meets differently. I know I have more miles on me than most. I'm not looking for stuff just to flip or sell. So I don't stop to check price tages, or look at things I'm not interested in. But when I spot that COOL item that I think I can't live without. I'll stop and check it out. I actually like it when things aren't priced. I like being the buyer, and seller. I'll just make a fair offer. When seller jumps on it. I know that I probably paid more than he was thinking. But if we're both happy, great. But if my offer is too low, that's when the FUN begins. I may walk away with a new treasure, or not. At least I had a friendly and nice conversation. My starting line usually is, {Will you be offended if I make ya an offer? } I don't think an offer ever hurt anyone. I also try not to waste their time, if they're busy. If there's a car show or a swap meet on the same week end. I'm going to the swap meet! The FUN is in the hunt. The Hershey meet is one of the best week ends of the year for me. I Love cheap & Rusty :) I found this old Dodge on a rainy day at a Hershey Pa. meet. Ron...... 2476.jpg 2475.jpg

waxhead, jnaki and catdad49 like this.
  5. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

I like the smaller swap meets but there aren't hardly any left in this area. The large ones, in my area anyway, tend to be more across the board but seem to specialize in SBC chrome valve covers. The one in Auburn, Ca. by the Model T club is by far my favorite. The one that used to be at ARCO arena then moved to Cal Expo seems to have really gone down hill. $10 to park $12 to get in and it's really shrunk. It would take me all day to walk when it was at ARCO, now the last time I went took about hour and half. The swap at the RPM Nationals last October was excellent. Probably about 90% of the items for sale were composed from the era identified as traditional.

Squablow likes this.