Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Went to an auction with no $$$, had to call a Loanshark.......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Da Tinman, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Oh you can bet its had a full on Cat scan, you can see the paw prints in the vid!

Lifter still clatters a bit, gonna pull the valve covers and see if needs adjustment, its gonna get an oil change so I might throw a quart of trans fluid in it and run that for a bit and see if that cleans it up a bit.

The smokestacks will come up behind the front seat thru the floors and will also work to keep the seats warm.... ( I cant believe some folks took that as a serious comment)

As for getting money out of that particular Loanshark its fairly easy,, kidnap Moms car!

Yeah its a 300 iron block alum heads, not really a Nailhead either, suprised nobody called me on that one either, and if it ever becomes a problem I got its BIG brother under the stairs,,,,

[​IMG]

I'm thinking it'll have a bit more pep with that other motor, but the mileage may drop a tiny bit.

Astros/pinners and an altitude change are in the works too.

2. uncle buck

uncle buck

I took it far from serious like the rest of that plan , note the sarcastic face:rolleyes:

3. Nice score there. That should make a real nice cruiser for your wife. I agree some Astros with skinny whites and a couple inches lowering would be perfect.

4. Dont put any cobwebs or skulls on it or Barris will say he built it! LOL!

5. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

nice convertable , wife kinda has that deer in the headlites of a peterbuilt look on her face

6. Abomb

Abomb

I bought an OT Olds 442 like that once...I went to buy an aircompressor...the 442 was cheaper...your Buick is much nicer, so's your wife, my Olds went directly to eBay.

7. Congrats jay!@

8. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

Gals love a ragtop.

9. I refer to mine as a "baby nailhead" because of the valve cover angle. nobody ever calls me on it either.

10. deflaytedwayz

deflaytedwayz

Nice ride! My wife would kill me if I came home with another project.

11. StevieJo

StevieJo

This is THE WIFE. I love MY new car! Thank you so much! He did get him self out of the basement this time but I still have the shackles down there just in case. :rolleyes:

12. Abomb

Abomb

I never get sent to the basement....I have a two car garage down there....congrats on the new ride.

13. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Sticks and stones my break my bones but shackles and chains excite me.... Oooops did I say that out loud?

Anyway quick update, the lifter refuses to pump up so I have intake gaskets and a couple lifters on the way. Suprisingly easy to find parts for this powerplant and the price is way less than expected.

I also got to playing with the Kenwood radio in the dash, hit a button and Jealous Lover by Sinatra starts blaring out of the speakers, poped the lock out of the glove box and lo and behold theres a 6 pack cd changer in there. Both the radio and cd changer are staying but will be moved to a less visible area.

We gave her a name too, after staring at it for a while I got to thinking that its like licorice, red and black, mentioned that to the Wife and she says we should call it Twizzler. Cool enough I think!

Anyway thanks for the interest and we will keep you posted as we progress thru its rejuvination.

14. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

Nice score jay.

15. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

ok,, so in addition to working on Moms roadster I have been putting a bunch of time on this thing too.

Long list of crap done,,, cam is swapped, I also pulled the bottom end apart and bearing are fine. oil pump is rebuilt and the relief spring changed (much better oil pressure), rocker shafts redone, alternator swapped for internally regulated 90 amp, its got a 4 bbl now too. Brakes are all rebuilt and I put a dual chamber m/c on it. Motor has been cleaned and detailed/painted and the wiring for the motor section has been redone. Got rid of the winged razor blade in favor of a thermo clutch/fan.

I've taken it for a couple short drives and it runs and drives great!

The paintjob has been put thru the ringer,,, I took a marker and colored in all the scratches on the decklid so they would show up (sorta) in the pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Every square inch of the car has those in it, evidently once the car was no longer drivable it became a bed/jungle gym for his dogs and they scratched everything climbing in and out.

It has now been wetsanded and ready to buff out. We also found a paint code for it so I'll have some touchup paint mixed up so we can fix the areas that its popped off or chipped. I wouldnt be that worried about it but luckily for me they never cut and buffed the paint after it was applied so its gonna shine like new.

[​IMG]

I've also got a set of Astro Supremes and Pinner whites coming for it, thanks to a bit of horse trading with a customer. We are planning to lower it this weekend, 2" all the way around.

The top turned out pretty smurfy too, not a lot of work thankfully.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple days in the sun and it should straighten itself out to near perfection.

Not bad considering with all the repair parts, tax/title/license/insurance we are under 3 grand in it.

Thanks to Ray for the pump housing!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  16. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Looking good!

17. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Just what I was thinking. Best plan here? "Hey sweetie, look what I bought you!"

19. Shaner's74

Shaner's74

Was that first photo taken outside of Peirson's in Jacksonville?

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sometimes you fall in it and come out smelling like a dozen roses. That is going to be a nice ride that many of our wives would love to have to drive.

21. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

yup. The former "Bump Stop". Were you there?

22. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

as it was before,,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and some from today,,,,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like it should and theres not much left other than wait for paperwork.

23. BBYBMR

BBYBMR

Very nice. Good on ya!

24. Gerg

Gerg

really looking like it's coming together bro good score

25. Zeke

Zeke

Still hate you :p

26. JAWS

JAWS

You said smurfy......homo