Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Went to an auction with no $$$, had to call a Loanshark.......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Da Tinman, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

One of bodyshops went bankrupt and today was the auction. The only thing I was really interested in was an older Weaver long frame floor jack and they went for a lot more than I had to spend, so I bought a desk to make a welding table and a chunk of railroad track to make anvil out of.

There were a couple vehicles that were up for auction as well, a beater chevy truck, a wrecked 90s Riv, a full size van and a Buick ragtop. As I was done spending what little cash I had I went out to watch the cars go up, first thing was the Buick Ragtop.

Bidding started low for the shape the car was in so I jumped in figuring that soon I would be outbid and I wouldnt have to face up to the LOVELY CARING WONDERFUL GREATEST WIFE ON THE PLANET with the story of how I bought another car...........

Well things kinda went way off the planned track as the bid topped out at less than half of what I thought the car was worth. And, of course, I won. Whoopsie how am i gonna payfor this..... Made a phone call to one of my favorite people on the planet and that was taken care of too. Had he turned me down that "favorite" part would have been changed though.

So my BEAUTIFUL LOVING WIFE of nearly 20 years will hopefully forgive me for buying yet another crappy old car.

You kinda have to tilt your head and close one eye to see the potential on this one though, its pretty rough......

[​IMG]

Not sure what I'm gonna do with this one,,, gonna take a lot of work to make something of it.

[​IMG]

Floors need patched full of pinholes, but there are still floors in it. Interior is a bit shabby but with a seat cover and some duct tape it will be fine.

[​IMG]

Wheels really arent my speed but unfortunatly they are perfect so I guess they will have to stay,,,

[​IMG]

its got a cute little nailhead too.

[​IMG]

All the chrome and bumpers are nearly perfect and the paint is great.

[​IMG]

Really really straight body, couple small rust bubbles, no dents or dings.

[​IMG]

not sure what shape the top is in, but thats no big deal I prefer roadsters anyway.

Plans are to get it running and driving, and go from there. I figure we could rattlecan it flat black, paint the wires red, pull the fenders and hood, replace em with a tractor grill and some smokestacks, weld some spiderwebs and skullz on it and be right in style......:eek:

Anyway, if you dont hear from me for a while, she has me tied up in the basement awaiting inspiration on which way punish me.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  2. sololobo

sololobo

That would make Momma a sweet little cruzer! Just saying----A happy wife is a happy life!! ~sololobo~

3. Gerg

Gerg

dude that is badass

4. Zeke

Zeke

Oddest looking lark I've ever seen.

5. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

Didnt Hot Rod Magazine just do a deal where they flew out and rescued one of those out of a backyard in Arizona?

Way cool car... Jealous as hell.

6. chaddilac

chaddilac

I think Anderson has the Olds version of this car, they look good fixed up!!

7. halfcockedcustoms

halfcockedcustoms

Your a dick Jay,,,,,,,,,,,And yes I still want it

8. Anderson

Anderson

'64 right? Great looking car. Slam it on Astros or Cragars with pinner whites and you can't go wrong.

9. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Thanks! I'm still in a bit of shock as I didnt need another car but this one is so close to being finished that for the amount spent on it I wasnt letting it go, (even though its not a Studebaker!) however if the opposing bidder had went 25 bucks higher he would have taken it home.

Yeah its a 64 and its mine HAHA!!! wait,, its the wifes,, yeah thats it, the wifes, she'll look so much hotter driving that.

10. schpud

schpud
    from ME

I wouldnt rattle can if the paint is still that good, fix it up ad drive it. Looks sweet now. I think it may have been sarcasm. But still. Dont paint it.

11. Joatha

Joatha

Nice score, though. My mom had a 66 Skylark convertible - basically the same body/lines as yours. It was a great cruiser.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  12. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

He was being sarcastic. ;)

Your loanshark is a pretty great guy. Please tell him I said hello.:cool:

13. Nice score my man!

14. [​IMG]

My '65 I sold a while back. Similar cars, a lot of fun..enjoy.

15. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Nice score Jay

16. looks like you should get some tuck and roll duct tape to repair it

where did all the good old cr seats go???

17. fanspete

fanspete

Nice score Jay. I saw the listing but had to dig up a water line today....oh well! I'm kinda pretty sure that it came from down here, Carl Leisenfelt used to own it, I think. They're neat cars that get in your blood.

18. Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

Yup, I think it was a couple years newer. And not as near as nice as Da Tinman's appears to be.:)

19. 1954 rocket 98

1954 rocket 98

nice car, looks like it has the 300 engine in it. good motors iron blocks w/aluminum heads. had a 64 skylark myself for a while before i traded it for a 51 lincoln my current project. i say go with a set of old buick rims
    like mine.:D just my opinion.

Attached Files:

20. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Just be glad you didnt buy the van,Id get her running put an interior in it and flip it,Or give it to your wife....

21. cowboyinachair

cowboyinachair
    from colorado

i have a set of them 14 inch 5 on 4 3/4 bolt pattern what are they worth

22. If thats a four barrel carb, its the "super wildcat 355". Good for 285 hp at 355 ft lbs of torque at 2400 rpm. Put a 500 Edelbrock on it, good for 23 mpg at 60 mph all day long. Not bad for a 300 cid "little" v8. I got one in my 65 skylark daily. I swapped it in when the 225 v6 died.
    Wheels? torque thrust "D"s are my choice

23. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

A freind of mine's wife has a sky blue 65 convertible, she loves it. looks like a good buy.

24. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Went and got it today,,,, really should have gotten it yesterday as after they pulled it back inside it must have been used for a staging area for everything that needed to be moved. Lots of scratches on the decklid, hood and down the sides that werent there yesterday. Most of em will buff out and I am still happy about the deal for sure.

Anyway, I was able to give a good going over,,, battery was shot so I dropped a spare in and started checking things out. The power top switch is busted and you have to use magical powers and a pair of vise grips to make the switch work. No big deal if I cant find a switch I'll use a power window switch mounted out of sight to operate the top.

Cool thing is the top goes up and down perfectly, and once I got it up I found out that the top is NEW. Its filthy and has a couple spots around the rear window that the edging has popped loose but shouldnt be a big deal to fix.

[​IMG]

Got the trunk open and found some spots that need repaired thanks to the rubber floor mat, but its still solid enough that it can wait till next winter for a fixin. Mostly surface rust and a couple bad patches. Oh and someone took a can opener to the passenger wheel well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone know a good sheetmetal guy that could fix that for me?

The floors are in about the same shape as the trunk, pinholes but mostly sound, seat supports are fine,, so are the rockers and body mounts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The shifter linkage isnt adjusted properly so it doesnt want to go into park but another easy fix. Checked the fliuds and turned the key, cranked over just fine but no spark, pulled the cap and rotor and found that someone had done a complete tuneup on it but hadnt adjusted the points. Closed the gap and she has fire. Dumped some gas in the tank and filled the float bowl thru the vent, pumped it a couple times and lo and behold,,,,,,,,,

It fired right up! got a bit of a lifter tapping but other than that it seems fine, no smoke, no BANG BANG BANG, and soon settled right down and idles smurfectly. I let it run for 1/2 hour or so, never got above 180 and it has good throttle responce too. So I dont even have to rebuild the carb.

Since it didnt want to go in park I put the rear end up on stands while I started it in case it was in gear and since it was up in there I yanked the rear wheel off and guess what,,,,, the brakes are fairly new as well and the hoses are new.

I ordered a dual chamber master cylinder for it and will rebuild the wheel cylinders and we are ready for a road test! I'll have the parts Tuesday and should have it finished by the weekend.

So, I dont have to replace the top, no ingition work, tires are good, it doesnt need paint and bodywork, brakes are an easy fix, hmmm not sure how this goes from here. Usually it needs everything or at least everything needs taken apart and rebuilt so I am in unfamilar territory.

As for the wife,, she took it rather well as I decided it would make a great early Valentines gift for her. Here she is still somewhat in shock over the whole deal.

[​IMG]

And I dont have to live in the basement for the next 10 years!

We have decided to sell her Falcon, anyone interested? One of kind Hamb tech week winner kinda thing, should be worth a couple million just because of that right? I'm gonna post it in the classifieds here pretty quickly.

25. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

And I always thought that if I didn't take any money to an auction then I couldn't buy anything. I see your.....eh....connected?:D My wife would love that car too.

26. The cats are gonna love it too. Convertible tops are kitteh magnets.;)

27. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Congrats on your new ride .Just watched the video .Did that lifter eventually pump up....Anyway good luck this upcoming weekend ,On your roadtrip......

28. uncle buck

uncle buck

:D I can't wait to see the finished look. Them tractor grilles look bitchen on really fat fendered cars like this! As for the smoke stacks , that will be a challenge to accomplish :rolleyes: Neet little cruiser ya picked up

29. silent rick

silent rick

never thought of the old man as a source of money. how's the best way to approach him? maybe drop an obscure dylan recording in front of him and when he bends over to pick it up, snatch his wallet?

30. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That would be the one year only 300 V8 with aluminum heads, right?