Register now to get rid of these ads!

Well, I've done it...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by theHIGHLANDER, Jan 3, 2012.

1. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I severed my relationship with my employer. This was 3 xmas's in a row without compensation (my regular wage!) and there's enough reasons to be banned from here for excess use of bandwidth if I were to spell it all out, so I won't bother with any of that. Some of you here have gotten to know me fairly well, some of you know me almost too well:eek: It's safe to say, I'll be just freakin fine. What I do will now be done for me and the clients I'm used to serving with no real set backs in sight. Since I have just about everything I need to do just about anything from the ground up right in my own backyard, well that's where I'm starting out. I sell, I woodgrain, I restore, I fab, I finish, I customize. Pretty much everything except sewing. I have few worries and some real support out there so shame on me if I don't move forward. There was a serious opportunity for a dream-come-true operation but when that dream becomes a nightmare, time to move on. It's already looking like I'll outgrow my home shop pretty fast and I figure I'll simply handle it as it happens. My focus is quality, honesty, and that thing that shows when nobody's looking...integrity. Those are truely a way of life for me, not punchlines or sales pitches. I love what I do, I always have, and that love and enthusiasm is real and tangible. It shows whether you're behind the wheel or in a group of your peers. I've been on the phone with friends both old and new over the last couple of days. One who wasn't aware of my decision said "Damn Jocko, you sound better. What's up?" He answered his question before I did. I guess I did the right thing.

I'm looking forward to catching up with many of people I've missed, and looking forward to a new chapter in the life of an all-in car guy. This stuff is supposed to fun and rewarding. Shame on me if I don't get back to that. 2012 will be a great start. Thanks for reading this, and thanks to those of you for your past support and opportunities.

2. specialk

specialk

Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life - you're well on your way to that right now.

Good Luck!

3. Wishing you well, I think you will do fine.

4. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

YOU GO MAN!!!!!!!!!!
    I can tell it feels "right" in your gut.
    I hope theres more work for you and peace than you realize now.
    Go gettem.

5. Highlander,
    Two things come to mind.

#1 does this mean you won't be stitching me an interior any time soon?

#2 And I mean this from the bottom of my wicked little heart. You'll do well my friend.

6. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Right on Bro

you got my PM's;)

:cool:

7. swissmike

swissmike

Good luck with your business. Consider becoming an Alliance Vendor and posting your services here on the HAMB.

8. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Good for you.There will be high and low spots but every day you wake up and know your in control of what you do.

9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good for you. Best of luck...but with the attitude you have, you won't need it.

10. You have my best wishes old buddy!! Perfect time for a move like that. If you need to rent shop space, landlords are looking for people and ready to deal. Lots of spaces open too. Sadly, alot of guys are going under, and tools and equipment are penny's on the dollar. Check out this message board called " the H.A.M.B. ". become an Alliance vendor and meet some great people. Just watch out for this highlander guy, he will rip you a new one if your not paying attention. :rolleyes:

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good for you man!!! That rules!! Good luck to you!!

12. jimmitchell70

jimmitchell70
    from CT

Good job taking the bull by the horns.
    With that attitude, you're going places.
    Have Fun!

13. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

I've always enjoyed reading what you've had to say. Sounds like you've got your head screwed-on straight. Also sounds like your heart's in the right place. When your talent and demeanor aren't appreciated where you are, you're best off moving on to a situation where they are appreciated. You're making a healthy move. Best of luck for 2012. DD

14. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good luck brother!

I am truly excited for you. I have to admit that reading your post got me fired up. As has already been said, with your outlook and attitude you will do well.

Go get 'em!

Thor

15. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

attitude,attitude,attitude,get on down wiff your bad self.good luck

16. Congratulations
    Now what exactly is it that you do??

17. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Wishing you all the luck in the world....you already have the talent!

18. Zerk

Zerk

Wish you the very best of luck! A guy with your abilities and integrity ought to do well.

19. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Sounds to me like you're already on your way to becoming independent...Congrats and full speed ahead...and don't look back.

R-

20. flathead okie

flathead okie

Wish I could do the same thing. Been with the same company 35yrs, no retirement. No bonuses. No other skills tho. Good luck

21. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

I did that a few years ago and went to barber school. Never looked back. Never regretted anything except not doing it sooner. I was worried at first, but with some help from the good Lord and my wifes support... I came out on top.
    My dad used say two things:

"Do not live for today, but for tomorrow because tomorrow, today will be gone and you wont have nothing"

"A regret to a pesimist is a lesson to an optimist"

22. Good for you, man!! Good luck and let us know what we can do to support a brother.

23. pay attention to details, keep overhead low, costs down and learn to live with financial ups and downs. with your attitude you will be fine. good luck.

24. belair

belair

Best of luck to you. If attitude is any indicator of success, (and it is), you'll do great.

25. The adventure begins......best of luck brother.......you'll do well.

26. rick finch

rick finch

Dammit....what do ya mean you don't sew.

You will do just fine my friend.:)

27. From someone who has done something similar, Good job, well done.
    This will end up being one of the best desicons you ever made.
    Good luck, although im sure you wont need it.

28. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

You are at the same point I was at about three years ago. Just keep your head in the game and keep going forward. It's taken a bit longer to get stabilized than I thought it would, but it has been worth every minute of it!

29. Go Jocko! ...F em!!! Good luck to you bud, you'll do well!

30. Da' Bomb

Da' Bomb

Get going on a HAMB O'Dex add. Plenty of folks looking for fab help