Register now to get rid of these ads!

Well, it's started,too late to back out now...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shovelheadrider, Oct 24, 2009.

1. My son-in-law to be brought the donor home last night. '78 LeSabre coupe.
    Tonight we dis-embody it and assess the condition of the 455 Buick that was previously installed in it.

Then, start to stretch the frame to fit my '55 Special that I've had for thirty years. MY wife refuses to ride in it, says it's a old lady's car.

Plans are install the tilt column, suspend the brake pedal from the firewall, Ansen Sprint wheels, red/black two tone, add a Vintage Air heat and a/c,
    and find some Corvair bucket seats for it.

I'm starting to get cold feet now, but I'm in too deep to back out now. I'll probably feel better in steps, first when the car is stripped down, the frame is stretched, and the body is transplanted. Everything else IMO is a piece of cake, but I'm uneasy about the frame modifications.

Not to brown nose, but this sight has been a inspiration to start rodding the Buick, so keep up the inspiration.

The last Frankenstein I built was in '70, a 383 Chrysler in a '54 Chevy. Young and brave at the time. Since then, my thing has been restorations. But, it's time for a change.

Pics to follow as I get them if anyone is interested.

Wish me luck.........:eek:

2. mickeyc

mickeyc

Hello shovel, I am not understanding your intentions, are you planning a chassis swap? If so, this would be much more difficult than adapting late
    model running gear to your existing chassis. your 55 has plenty of room
    for the v8 out of the late model and chassis updates should be easier than
    a complete body swap. I would suggest you speak with someone familiar
    with vintage buicks. Good luck with your project. MickeyC.

3. Yes, it's a chassis swap. The original frame is pretty thrashed, it was hit and poorly repaired in the rear before I got it. Side rails are ok, but the center x member may create havoc with any driveline changes from the torque tube. Subframing was a option, but combined with changing the rear out to a 4 link or to leaf springs is no small amount of work either. Concensus was to change and modify the 78 frame as being easier.

And, if the center x member was to be cut out, the frame would have to be boxed for strength, the configuration at the transmission mount/brake pedal mounting would have to go also . It's pretty tight up there.

The easiest way would be to put in a 322 nailhead, but they are rare up here.

One of the body and frame men that I work with is going to help out also. He has experience in these mods, so it's not like I'm going in blindly.

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

leave the lesabre floor pan and cut yours out, set the 55 right back on top of it! Leave the firewall and everything attached to it, sneak it up right behind the 55 dash!

5. The floor pan was a good suggestion, just not possible here in Michigan. The rear pans were junk, caved in and rusted out. Not to mention the Raccoon feces all over inside the donor car.

So, it will be adapt and mount the 55 floor to the 78 frame. Six inches extension, possible bobbing of rear frame rails,reposition body to frame mounts and possible modification of the trunk floor.