Register now to get rid of these ads!

Well it's my turn, hyd throwout is leaking!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SaltCoupe, May 23, 2012.

1. SaltCoupe

SaltCoupe
    from Indiana

Maybe a thousand miles on it, the throwout is leaking. Might have over extended itself but I keep losing pedal and I can see it dripping from the bottom of the bell housing. I'm done, gonna chuck it in favor of a slave cylinder. Already have a new Wilwood 3/4" master cyl installed on the car, just gotta get a 3/4" bore slave cyl. I'm thinking S-10? I have a clutch fork and I have the manual throwout bearing that came with my clutch and pressure plate and I have to re-install the clutch fork pivot ball. I will fabricate a bracket for the slave. Am I missing anything? Any suggestions?

2. xracer40

xracer40

3. Jedidiah

Jedidiah
    from Ft Worth

I just switched mine over from a hydraulic bearing to a slave cylinder this past weekend. I originally used the hydraulic bearing thinking about what a slick setup it was and then had nothing but trouble with it. I ran it for a little over four years and had to rebuild it twice. When I saw it start to leak again I knew I was ready to change. Making the bracket sure would have been easier without the body on. I pulled out my floor to get to things a little easier. Don't forget that you'll need a spring from the clutch fork forward to keep tension between it and the rod. It was a pain in the butt to have to do but it is sure worth it. My hydraulic bearing was shimmed correctly and wasn't over extending, the orings in it just didn't hold up.

4. SaltCoupe

SaltCoupe
    from Indiana

I had'nt considered a spring on the clutch fork to keep tension on it. Thanks Jedidiah!

5. SaltCoupe

SaltCoupe
    from Indiana

Thanks for the link xracer40. Very slick set-up.