Register now to get rid of these ads!

Well its almost ready..still

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slickhale, Apr 1, 2011.

1. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

So I've spent about a year wrenching on my Galaxie to get it where i want it so i can enjoy it. Motor rebuild, lots of engine bay paint/detail work, wheels/tires, brake system, rust repair, exhaust, and on and on. I had kinda slowed down on it then the thread about Helen the '60 wagon got me itching to do something. Really all I needed to do was to rebuild the carb that i left sitting on a shelf full of gas thru a hot Az summer and clean up the tailight rings/ rear trim. Seems simple right...

So after climbing over my "someday" 428cj for the 500th time getting to the back of the car i decided to sell it, sold it. Got the rear parts off, fixed and painted them but then found a car on CL i needed a new expansion tank off of so i could replace my leaky one. I went to get the part and ended up buying 3 motors from the guy that were a "good deal" plus a '63 bird hood i still need to pick up. Instead of finishing the car i now have 3 disassembled engines scattered everywhere. All my parts are still off the car. Yesterday i go to look at a manifold the guy lied to me about on the phone so to calm down i go to the junkyard and end up with 3 astro supremes, 2 of which are severely tarnished. I spent 2 hours today trying to shine up a wheel i dont have a full set of, or tires for:confused:.

Now that you've read all my bitching about myself does anyone else sabatoge themselves like me? I cant be the only one who pulls this crap....i hope.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  2. lonewolf52

lonewolf52

Haha I get project ADD sometimes. I'm working on two sickles, my Ford, and collecting parts for a hot rod. Plus other little things. Oh well. It's better than drugs.

3. 73super

73super

Can totally relate. I'll never "piece-meal" a car or engine back together again. Next time I'm getting a full-blown donor car that I can just transfer parts over on. All the time, $$ and running around you do just so you can work on the thing is ridiculous ... Buying multiple parts 'til you find one that works is something I had to do too. But you know what.. I'm still wrenching on my babies.. I'm enjoying what I'm doing.. and the extra parts I've picked up that won't work on this ride WILL work on a future project. Now what I do is keep an eye out for parts that I may use in the future and just build up a surplus. That way, when the next project comes along I've got a good chance that there will at least be a part or two that I won't have to run around trying to find.

Working multiple projects was a mistake I was making too. Work on ONE... it's the only way you're going to make decent progress.

Good luck... remember you're having fun!

4. Yea I shoot myself in the foot all the time.

I really need a gasket set and distributer for an engine I want to put together for my project, so what do you want for the leaky expansion tank? I could use one and I'll fix that one and use it. ;)

5. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

pm me, you pay for the ride and you can have it.

6. Done deal and you are right some of us can't seem to help ourselves. When a deal comes along we just jump all over it and worry about the consequences later. :eek:

7. Moondog13

Moondog13

Yea, I'm completely guilty of such things. Thanks for the laugh slickhale! :D

8. bryan6902

bryan6902

I used to do that, dabbled in imports, circle track cars the list goes on.... Sold EVERYTHING in the garage/storage not related to my project and went to work doing it right. That was 4 years ago and it's still not quite done, but close.....

9. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

hey glad i could help, now i just have to get my wife to see the humor in all this.....