Register now to get rid of these ads!

Well , it finally happened to me.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mac_55, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Nice interior you got in that rat rod...

2. I believe "beater" was used years ago and to me that's WAY more offensive then rat rod especially coming from another car guy. I think a lot of people see rat rods as a build style, but calling somebodys car a beater kinda says you're driving some pile of shit that you don't give a crap about. Back in the day the term deteriorated to some street rodders calling anything that wasn't a perfect pro built car a beater. Pretty derogatory if you're the owner of a nicely finished but not perfect ride and way worse than some uninformed dope calling a car in primer a rat rod.

3. Nice '55, love the stance!!!!

4. Mopar34

Mopar34

Rat Rod! Now there's a catchy little phrase. Abused and over used. It's become a common every day word. Some people use it to cover every kind of vehicle imaginable. 90% of the time it's used to describe something that ain't even close to the real thing.

If ignorance is bliss, then there must be a helluva lot of happy people out there.:D

BTW, love the 55. Gasser looks are the best! :D

5. I am just thankful that you are not driving this thing around.

There is definately a difference between Rat Rod and Traditional Rod, but the new craze seems to be CLOWN RODS.

The uneducated will always assume that they know what they are talking about.

Maybe next time ask him if his Chevelle has a 235 in it?[/QUOTE]

Clown Rod is a great term for cars like that, we should use that.

6. SquigMachine

SquigMachine

if someone tried to drive that thing though....i would say he had some balls

7. Brahm

Brahm

You know, I don't mind you talkin, on rat rods, but I've had just about enough of you yeller belly sons of bitches talking shit about my Mullet! Just cause you ain't got the balls to keep it business up front, party out back and long since sold your Oakley razors doesn't mean we all stopped partying when Getty Lee steps off the stage. Ya'll better watch them flapper of yours or me rofus here are gonna turn "traditional rod", it to a pile of rat rod parts when we run it over with our shit kicker truck YA HEAR!

Attached Files:

8. Mac_55

Mac_55

9. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

If it is a hot rod and looks ratty,
    Is it a ratty rod?

10. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

So excited, they dropped off my RR project today:)
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DLHfyEoOEHY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DLHfyEoOEHY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    The black velvet diva's for the firewall

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  11. SquigMachine

SquigMachine

i think if you find pieces and throw it together then it may be called a "rat" if YOU the owner call it that...no one should call it anything other then a bitchin car unless you tell them different.You just asking for a punch to the throat if you go calling peoples stuff what you think it is

12. I have to be honest here, I call my '39 chevy pickup a "rat rod" when I'm looking for parts on craigslist. When people know I'm building with parts that cost little or no money (because that's all I have) they seem to always refer to a rat rod... it's just easier to go with the flow and I've come across some good deals this way. It's actually how I found and traded parts to obtain the cab in the first place. :rolleyes:

13. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Kinda deja vu here. I was helping my son with a '76 Valiant (last year before Volares). All intentions of doing everything right, but on a budget. He was working for the $$$ for each phase we'd lined out. Had it in gray primer (looked cool like that; I've always liked that phase of body/paint).

My son drives it to school & kids start talkin' about his Hooptie. Made my blood boil, 'cause they couldn't SEE this project was going somewhere! But I let "Hooptie" roll off my back.

Rat Rod??? Hell, NOBODY has ever DEFINED for me what the hell a Rat Rod is supposed to be!!! Shit, I think it may just be a TRENDY term -- like Hooptie -- and all that crap will pass out of the vernacular SOME day! (I just hope somebody doesn't come up with a new term JUST as irritating!!!)

14. hey there is a multi-million dollar magazine called "Hot Rod" that features mostly "Muscle Cars" anyone gonna spend nine pages bitchen about that.. It all comes down to pop culture terminoligy.. no need to get riled up about it.. if they don't know the difference so what.. you do and that's all that matters..

15. Brahm

Brahm

Ha, Good call, and there is a website dedicated to traditional Hot Rods called "JALOPY JOURNAL" jalopy sure sounds pretty ratty to me ;)

16. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

Thats good right there!!! touché