Register now to get rid of these ads!

Well , it finally happened to me.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mac_55, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Thanks. I thought that I was the only one that remembered the term.

The Ol' Man called them Jalopies. Only finished rides were a hot rod to him IE paint and upholstery to those who actually drive a beater/jalopy.

2. H3O

H3O

you should take that guy with his chevelle to the track and show him what kind of HOT ROD you built!!!!! :D

3. -Brent-

-Brent-

So true. You're a modern day philosopher Tman. :)

4. Mac_55

Mac_55

No no no .

THIS is a hot rod snowmobile !!!!!!!!!! Love this thing

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313

take it to the strip and let him see your tail lights all the way down the strip and then ask him how he thinks your RAT ROD is doing..

6. PUNK RODDER

PUNK RODDER
    from KC, MO.

[​IMG][/QUOTE]
    I am just thankful that you are not driving this thing around.

There is definately a difference between Rat Rod and Traditional Rod, but the new craze seems to be CLOWN RODS.

The uneducated will always assume that they know what they are talking about.

Maybe next time ask him if his Chevelle has a 235 in it?

7. You can always fall back on the joke we used to tell in the first grade on that one... kid asks another kid: "are you PT?" ... if they say no: "You're not potty trained?" ... if they say yes: "you're a pregnant teenager?" ... So when they ask "is that a PT?" you say "No, it's not a pregnant Toyota."

8. Imperial Kustom

Imperial Kustom

Definitely a bitchin' machine you have there!!! I get the rat rod shit all the time too. And I build trucks, so there goes even more respect cause they aren't bellybutton cars. It sucks, but, people are ignorant and don't perceive an unfinished vehicle as just that. Unfinished.

9. Mac 55 ...

IMHO this was your chance at a so-called "teachable moment".

After politely stating "lot more than a rat rod pardner", you could have elaborated to "Mr. Chevelle" how over the years, the Rat Rod term has really become a negative label ...

... that the term is no longer synonymous with a "Raw, Unfinished, Traditional Hot Rod" ... but that it has become a term associated with the rusty, unsafe, clownish, "trash rods" that in no way pay homage to the Hot Rodders of the '30s, '40s, '50s, & '60s.

BTW ... dig your '55 Chebby low-rider ... but you should really fix the hydraulics before trying to drive it on the street with the front-end stuck up in the air like that! :rolleyes: :D

10. If it runs like 99% of the tri-five "gassers" I've seen lately that would actually be a mistake.

No offense MAC I'm not saying that yours is a stone. I just haven't been too impressed with the performance of the "gasser crowd" as of late. Yours probably runs out fine. I'm assumeing that paint or at the very least primer is a future plan? That style of car really looks nice with a couple of coats of paint.

11. guess being a dickhead makes you cool these days! years ago it would have been off to jail, paying for heavily massaged dental work for a comment like that but lately the jailhouse food sucks!:rolleyes: you did get rid of that mullet didn't you?:eek::D

12. Mac_55

Mac_55

But if i drop the front end , it wont bounce when i rimp the gas and stomp the brakes , gotta have that bounce , expecially with ice cube pounding in the cd player right .........................

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA :D

13. Mac_55

Mac_55

Yes sir . I have had alot of guys say i should leave it like it is . But i want it BLACK . A nice black . i figured with the cherry red interior i just finished it oughta stand out nice

14. Tony

Tony

The day's of me being concerned about what someone call's my stuff are long gone.....most have no clue what they are talking about or have never turned a wrench themselves anyway. Also, some do not think the label 'rat rod' is a negative..could just be an innocent mistake.. Don't take any of it personally....with that said..
    That's one BAD looking 55!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'd LOVE to own it no matter what it's called!

Tony

15. All kidding aside...your '55 sits great (not at all like a "streat freak") and your interior looks incredible...

TODD

16. Mac_55

Mac_55

Ohh , again , no offence taken Porknbeaner .

as for a power plant . Ive got a 408 big chev , itll have an unpolished 8-71 on it . We are shooting for 600-650 STREETABLE horsepower . The breakdown we have it should be very easily done .

Itll see track time , but i dont get very far from home usually so itll just be 1/8th mile , but thats still a year or 2 down the road. I want EVERYTHING finished before i even drop the motor in cause i know when the motor goes in , il have to much fun runnin it and i wont finish it

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

boo fucking hoo... someone called your car a Rat Rod.

people need to get a grip. it's a term without any definite meaning.

if someone called my car a RAT ROD I'd just warn them to be careful cuz there are people who get all pissy about that term.

.... just don't call my 49 a Lowrider...

18. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

I might be mistaken, and if so I apologize up front, but aren't you the guy who called out that certain '57 Chevy here on the HAMB a couple of months ago?

Karma's a bitch. LOL

19. Mac_55

Mac_55

Thats fine , your you and im me . Apparently i take a bit more pride in my work .

different strokes , different folks yadda yadda yadda

20. Mac_55

Mac_55

Touche . Well Played . Ill take my lumps with the best of em lol.

21. Brahm

Brahm

Hahah, you can't do pow turns in that thing.. hahaha I wonder how bad that thing trenches or if it rips in the deep ;)

22. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

LOL NP

BTW I like your car - good stance, I like that you did not split the parking lights, great interior and if it were mine I would also paint it black.

23. m.k.bench

m.k.bench

some one called your car a "Rat Rod'. Now your pissed. four to five pages on the HAMB. W.T.F! Who the hell cares. "IT is better to be thought a fool and remain silent, then to open mouth and remove all doubt. :cool:

24. Mac_55

Mac_55

Thank you Kindly. The seats and door panels ive only got 900 bucks in , fella up in new york built the covers and i recovered and did the install . Probably have another 200 in carpet , headliner and rattle can red and clear paint.

25. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

We have the same ignorant people over here in the land of OZ.... I Just smile & turn the other way these days.... I have no time to try and educate the world of wannabees.

26. Mac_55

Mac_55

uhmm no offence but you need to read back through the pages pal . Theres alot of other guys sharing thier stories of similiar expieriences . I may have got a little heated but i stayed very polite .

dont understand , its a Message board , we are all posting messages , think were within the rules .

27. Mac_55

Mac_55

Wait . Youve got 36 posts in 2 years . I guess you didnt know you are suppose to post messages on a message board.

28. chevyshack

chevyshack

I happen to like the term "rat rod". When i hear the word i just picture any old car in primer done up like a gasser or rat fink type hot rod. Whats a rat? A big block. Whats a hot rod? Put the 2 together what do you have? A rat rod to those of us that dont care. Incase you havent noticed todays generation has been changing the definitions of words. Whats peeps? A little marshmellow chick you get for easter. Not today. Its your friends. I can keep going but hopefully you get the point. Rat rod isnt a bad word by todays definition.

29. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've informed a few people...politely of course...that rr is a dirty word among traditional hot rodders. Also that it conjures up images of some kind of thing that's rusty, probably isn't real safe, has a bunch of gimicky things like skulls, german crosses etc., and that the correct term remains hot rod. Young or old, they seem to understand, and sometimes ask where the term came from, etc...............I do have to admit that one morning while getting gas, the only other person there, an older "chick" in tight jeans about my age (52) suggested that her GM xxxx kinda looks like my '46 Ford business coupe...........I couldn't help it guys........I looked at her with a big smile and said, "No it don't"....she got pissed off, wouldn't talk to me.....Hehehe..... Good lookin' GASSER by the way........God, I hope that's right......:D........Rick

30. russ1403

russ1403

before the term "rat rod" came to be,,what did people call a "unfinished project"?

i have seen one reply with a term that was used before the term "RR"
    where i grew up cars that were drivers but "unfinished projects" were either "buckets" or "hooptys",mabye "jalopy" by the "older than me crowd"

how about you guys/girls?