Register now to get rid of these ads!

Well , it finally happened to me.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mac_55, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Deadbird

Deadbird

No accounting for taste. Don't sweat it. Nice car man.

2. you need not worry, lots of us have rat rods....in the general public's eye,

3. Labels are just that. When someone uses them incorrectly it just helps sort out the Real from the Pretenders. Now you know what He is and you can move on to a better Class of Friends.
    The Wizzard

4. rstanberry

rstanberry
    from terrell tx

They walk amongs't us and they vote too.

5. chromedaddyo

chromedaddyo
    from Ohio

Looks lke the sedan is a gasser, Wow and a hemi!!!
    Someone please gouge mye eyes out, oh the pain....................

Bad ass bad news pick-up!!!!

Dave

6. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

any old car that doesnt have 20'' wheels and shinny paint is a rat rod....come to except it......we're dealing with people that watch 2 guys garage and think thats what its all about.....i for one am tired of the term and most of the cars...

7. NITMARE

NITMARE

TV and Mags have made everyone think that if you actually have the nerve to drive a non completed ride that you are going for the "rat rod" effect...fuck 'em

The people that know their shit get it. The ones that don't get it, don't matter. No worries.

8. You got to get used to it guys !! As my wife says "" Not Everybody Is As ANAL About Cars Like You Are Bruce "" Now that's when I tell them it's a Hot-Rod built on the 1960s format"" And get the fuck off of my lawn !!! >>>>.

9. Savannah Red

Savannah Red

Seems the term r_ _ r_ _ was developed just a few years ago, and for some
    folks this is what they think when they see a primered or heavy patina on a
    vehicle. They usually don't look past that to see the work that has gone into
    the vehicle whether it's finished or not. We called these vehicles "beaters" in
    years past & those were much if not the same as these vehicles today. I also recall the phrase "its neater in a beater" from years past. By the way I think
    your 55 looks great!!! Keep up the great work! Just wanted to add my two
    cents:D

10. NITMARE

NITMARE

Oh....and if you are wondering if the "rat Rod" trend had died....I think it officially happened when guys decided to try and make new shit look old.

[​IMG]

11. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

He mean't well - he just needs to be educated. Getting a guy like this educated may help spread the word. Without getting pissed, explain the facts to him and tell him what you are building - it may just spread ;-)

12. nice dune buggy...there.... feel better

oops too late ...real nice old DODGE

13. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

That's not a rat rod, that's a street fuel freak 4x4 top nitro boat rod....

14. Mac_55

Mac_55

Heck thats more of a compliment . Most dune buggys ive seen are well engineered lol.:D

15. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Who cares what someone else calls, YOU know what it really is.

16. Mac_55

Mac_55

:eek::eek::eek::eek::D:D:D:D:D:D

Thatll never catch on , to many words for the guys on hotrod tv to spit out . :p

17. g-lover51

g-lover51
    from Dallas Ga

Hey your 55 is one cool Rat Rod. Sorry had to do it. That is a very good looking car. It is frustrating to have some numbnutts call your ride a rat rod when you are building it yourself and busting your ass to make it perfect. I had some assclown tell me my car would be cool if it were shiny. That was right after I had finished rebuiding the front suspension, engine and transmission in my garage. He was in a Honda Accord. So oh well screw it you can't please every one and you sure as hell can't educate every one. Your car is one tough looking 55

18. Hambone64

Hambone64

Always fighting with the rat rod term! I dig on SOME 'rat rods.' Everyone on here has seen at least one they were attracted to, visually, and it would be BS if they said they didn't! I love a fine patina'd 56 Cadillac with nasty rusted out pipes and shagnasty whitewalls.

19. ol'skool29

ol'skool29

unfortunately to some people, old car = rat

20. While this whole rat rod thing is a big deal here on the HAMB I gotta tell ya, a LOT of car guys use this term and while it may not be accurate, they don't mean any offense by it. A buddy of mine I work with who is a top notch paint and body man and builds some nice stuff calls over to my building today to tell me he just picked up a 49 Chevy pickup. He goes on to tell me about the build (flat green paint, cream colored steel wheels and original type interior) and says he wants to "rat rod it out". Now this guy doesn't build junk and I know he's not callin' his truck a piece of shit either. There's just a lot of folks out there, car guys included that think if its got steel wheels and a flat paint job that it's a rat rod.

21. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

DA masses are ASSES. Saw one of those crash and burn tv shows the other day and they were showing some Saudi dip shits drifting and of course, wrecking big time. The narrator at one point called them "drag racers", geeze!

22. havi

havi

In today's world, cars are put into 3 categories. Tuners, Muscle cars, and Rat Rods. :D :(

I work with a few car guys, all muscle car guys. I merely mentioned I was looking at a '50 Plymouth with really no dents, but some patina, and was thinking of getting it and get it running. " oh you're gonna make a rat rod?" "um, no, just want to see if it'll run again." It is what it is.

23. Brahm

Brahm

It's an M8, not mine though, I've got a Doo 800, and an M6 short track. I had a polaris but the clutch went out so it went away. My Ski-Doo on the other hand is a rat rod, hmm or maybe it's a gasser.. You tell me?

[​IMG]

All kidding aside, In terms of Rat Rods. I dig a lot of them. Like anything if done tastefully they can be pretty cool. It just depends on who built it how creative they are and how far they push the envelope, and that goes with any car. Just because you use wrenches for a shifter, or door handles, or cobwebs in the grill doesn't mean you can't have an interesting themed car. How many hamber cars all have the same style pin stripping, "bomber" look, are made to look like they are from the world war 2 era, ect.. There are 2 kinda of cars in this world, cars built by people with taste, and cars built by people without.. sometimes we don't agree on who's on what side, but what are you gonna do. I personally have never seen such disgust for a moded versions of an American car, from other American car enthusists like I have on hamb over Rat Rods (I mean come on some of you are so bitter you won't even type the words out).. It's not like we are talking about dropping B16a's (honda race motors) into 32 chasis.. or giant Weapon Type R spoilers on the back of your roadster. Lighten up folks!

24. while i drive my truck to shake the bugs out, i know it's gonna be called a rat rod. sure it looks rough now, but i know what the plans i have for it are...so i've decided to take the term back..that's right, i'm taking it back. the more i use it, the less offensive it will be!! so embrace your "rat roddyness" let the fools call it whatever...for you know what it will be when you're done, and don't let the term bother you...just take it back, take the power back!! (hmmm, i wonder if sarcasm shows up on computer?)

25. Aren't you supposed to reply like it's the most natural thing in the world "oh pretty well, how's your mullet-mobile running tonight?"

26. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

the term rat rod is only used by uneducated car guys!!! some times you just have to smile and try to educate them in a way not to insult them.

27. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

I went to a show last weekend and they had a Rat Rod class. They wanted me to put my car in that class because there wasnt any that had shown up. I got real stern and looked the guy in the eyes and said "It is NOT a Rat Rod" and he said OK. I guess he thought trophies were the reason I showed up. I won 1st place last year because I was the only "Street Rod" there... But that I can live with before Rat Rod.

28. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

Somewhere there is a culture so underground that they actually use the term rat rod, embrace the it, and build their cars around the term. Too bad their culture isn't spelled with K like ours' is.

29. henryj429

henryj429

Well, is it any worse than having someone ask you,"is that a PT?"

How the hell a 36 Nash 4 door looks like an Obamamobile I'll never know.

30. jimb0

jimb0
    BANNED

so the dude liked your car and called it a rat rod and you got mad. is that what you are saying to us?