Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Well, I'm done!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Just passed my 6 month of retirement. The days are much shorter now than they were 7 months ago. Congratulations, enjoy.

2. I left the car factory Oct. 1995. Officially retired Oct. 1997 after a two year layoff pending retirement. Time has flown by. Fastly approaching 73 years old.

3. catdad49

catdad49

Maybe you're just sad, but you'll get over it! Enjoy.

4. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I taught History/Social Studies for 38, Science for 25, Math for 30, Advanced gr. 8 Math for 7, Law for 11, French for 3 ( my high school French teachers would consider that accomplishment a miracle!), and a couple of less memorable subjects for about 15 all tolled. I was lucky as I get bored with some subjects and was able to swap around. Maybe I was "hot rodding my schedule'!

5. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Congrats and welcome to the club. As I always say, when it comes to retirement....I can highly recommend it.

6. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Retired 8 yrs ago this month and have not looked back or had a boring do nothing day, hell I can't even get a nap in with all the crap I got going on, honey doo's, buddy doo's, grandkid's, RVing, etc. ....you'll see.

7. Retirement, that part of life where you stay home and the checks keep coming in. Hard to beat.
    My usual remark as we reach those golden years is 'never trust a fart and never waste a hard on'.
    Enjoy.

8. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

Been done for almost two years now and I definitely don't regret it.
    Ran a collision shop for a big dealership network for the last twenty years.
    Service manager before that.
    I worried myself sick deciding when to do it but so happy now.
    Takes some adjustment feeling relevant in the world but that passed when I got busy. I do occasionally enjoy a do nothing day when the weather gets too hot.

Congrats. I'm told being a teacher is tough these days so you earned it.

trollst likes this.
  9. williebill

williebill

Congratulations, young man.

10. Congratulations.You're going to love your new life

11. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

as i was told, theres 6 saturdays and 1 sunday every week! and its true, ok what day is it? get in the garage! congrats!

12. brady1929

brady1929

Congrats, enjoy your retirement.

13. F&J

F&J

Hey, I turned 66 on new years eve! ...and , no kidding, I feel and ACT like 18 year old idiot... AND yes1 I do hang with lots of young'uns...but boy, a LOT of Cute Girls of all ages... Wow, WHAT a selection for a single young handsome guy like me! It takes me like 2 hours at the food store!... for just a few things!! Oh, baby!

14. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I blinked and 9 years of retirement have passed. Find your niche and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome, and best of luck for a long retirement.

16. patterg2003

patterg2003

Congratulations on your retirement. Hope you feel better soon. Should stay healthier getting away from the school petri dish. First month feels like holidays. Enjoy life & make some good memories.
    I went early & did 3 years of part time on contracts in the oilsands. Best times ever. Worked with great people & really enjoyed the work. I had decades of experience that dovetailed perfect into the work & I was in my element. It was like playing. Retirement comes with a lot of freedom. Enjoy yourself & keep posting your build.

17. Deucecoupe

Deucecoupe

Congratulations!
    I’m 65, will be 66 this March. Looking at retirement, but feeling nervous about the big cut in income!
    I don’t have any bills, no outstanding loans, house has been paid for for years, no credit card debt, etc.
    Just have every day bills. Like taxes, insurance, food, utilities, etc.
    Just makes me nervous. I’m used to bringing home good money(which I’ve been saving).
    Not rich, buy any means, but comfortable.

Example: Last week my 5 year old fridge died. Just out of warranty. Cost me $2500 5 years ago. Compressor is toast. $875 to fix. Now if I was retired that would really hurt !
    Just sayin. Guess I have a decision to make.

Good luck to you, and all the other fresh retirees!

18. Gray Ford

Gray Ford
    from Illinois

Congrats on your retirement ...As others have said , you have earned it ....Also ..THANK YOU for a career of teaching others, & helping to inspire a generation of young people .....

19. Now imagine those people who say, "I don't know what I'd do in retirement.. I'd get bored! Probably go back to the office!"

Ha.. ha.. I have about a million things to do other than work. Work gets in the way of getting things done. Retirement will be too short.

osage orange likes this.
  20. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Your comment is exactly the way I feel along with missing the students. Boss/wife says we're ok so I guess we'll be fine.

Deucecoupe likes this.
  21. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Hey mate! Do it now, Just do it!

Seriously I retired late 2016 [at 55],
    The first thing I did was sell off all my unused car parts and unfinished racecar projects [I couldn't believe how much $$$ I hoarded , and bought a complete going racecar with the proceeds]
    Now, with a bit of spare time I did a couple of overseas trips [I took my wife to the USA and Canada]

One thing I noticed about travelling, It knocks me around a lot more than before
    So Take your Aussie friends up on their offer NOW or you never will.

Hey it's summer down under so come down and thaw out! Stop off in NZ while you're at it [North Island NZ is just like the Pacific Northwest]
    Aussie and NZ are now in hot rod season [ NZ's nats are 21st Jan , and all the Classic car meetings are around as well]
    Flights to Aussie and NZ are cheap

Contrary to popular belief [a rumour we started:D] we aren't running around in grass skirts throwing spears at each other

You're only a PM message away

22. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Too bad, I could use a little spear throwing to be honest! LOL. Thinking seriously about it.

23. upspirate

upspirate

Congrats!
    I'm 64 and I'm going to bite the bullet somewhere between end of March and end of June this year....almost 45 yrs at UPS and I'm tired! (45 yrs in Aug 2018, but I'm not staying til then )

24. F&J

F&J

I just can't get the hang of how messed up the ssi and whatever else they choke us with! Does anyone know why my SSI instant deposit, was always on the last Thursday? but definitely 3rd week!! for 4 years, I was told it always will be that end of the month!...I go to bank today to see if I am ok to cover some bills...they show the Jan 2018 payment as paid in on Jan 3rd?? of the month, ??

They just keep messing with me and they lose each f;n time...so far, though... up to now... How are we supposed to balance things if this stuff happens? The Ah's took $140 per month out of my SSI starting on my 65 th birthday, as a final push up the Azz, after forcing me to medicareless 80% from my State Highway EARNED 100% insurance! I had over $15k in medicals billed in summer, and I have not/will never, paid a cent, LOL, Ok then, Repossess me? They did not win that one either! oh, and I doubt I will renew my drivers permit, as I think it is for 6? years, and my health issue has no solid answer yet! F'em. I am actually having fun writing this! lol

no golden retirement years for many working suckers like me... but I aint done yet...

HOWEVER...LOL,,,I cannot understand the girls, cuties and wemins around here lately? is something in the water? or whut... I am now also getting hugs!! from strangers today!...oh, and they LIKE it when you go to part ways and say I 'd like another, please! Lol... dayum, I am between two colleges...so I get some "fresh", or "low mileage" ones too!

25. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Welcome to the club, member since 12-15-17

Petejoe likes this.
  26. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Continue to "teach" here on the HAMB. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

osage orange likes this.
  27. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

80 now and retired at 65. Have had and still having fun playing with hot rods and old machinery, as machinist was my trade, and I've got enough old machines I want to get in operation to keep me busy till I'm 100, LOL Totally agree that I don't know how I ever had time to go to work.
    Stay in touch with old friends and make new ones also, you won't regret it. My theory is stay busy with something, either mentally or physically, as much as you can. That damn "Boob Tube" can soon turn you into a vegetable.

osage orange likes this.
  28. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

As I told my students repeatedly, "We are all teachers, we are all students!".

29. D type

D type
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

congrats and thanks for try to steer all those kids in the right direction !

30. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Congratulations. I'm thinking you'll enjoy it.
    I'm still teaching, just completed a morning session on codes.
    I'm still a young guy at 63 and don't have my full pension established yet only having 20 years of teaching under my belt at this point.

I'm planning to retire myself in 3 years and God willing we will up and move to Vancouver Island to a place with a reasonable sized shop so that I can continue to build things.

Enjoy the retirement, I'll be right behind you shortly :D
    Larry