Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Welding

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Nov 5, 2015.

Tags:
  1. I was given two grinders last year.:(

2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I've been welding for 60 years! (not enough lately, though...my wife was assisting me while making a nice new steel table for the shop, 18" X 60". (mIg welding, with my Airco machine)
    About the 3rd weld, she said "Where is my husband, and who the hell are you?" :eek:
    O.K., it's like riding a bike...Just a little 'shaky' lately, and the 'path' keeps disappearing!
    My gas welds still look like TIG welds, so I haven't 'lost it'... Just the 'simple' has become elusive. :D

3. 117harv

117harv

I have had that sent to me a couple times in the last few days. A new meme is created and then takes off like wild fire. I grind a lot of welds, it doesn't mean they are bad.

4. Dapostman

Dapostman

I always prep grind my weld before I weld it. I would love to have more grinders in my arsenal.

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have more grinders than I have welders.
    But I don't use them on my welds.
    The NHRA book says no grinding on the welds.

6. Maybe that's telling you something Harv ?

:)

Just kidding, I've seen your posts here of outstanding quality and craftsmanship.

volvobrynk and 117harv like this.
  7. pitman

pitman

I welded once.jpg
    A recent favorite!

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  8. stimpy

stimpy

Ive been told a time or too I should have rubbed the steel together as I would have had better looking results grinder hell I use a cutting torch to remove crappy welds ..

saltflats likes this.
  9. in that campground.....Luckily I get free grinding wheels from work!

brando1956 likes this.
  10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

grinding welds smooth is period-correct. Leaving them unground is "traditional".

11. Jake Hatfield

Jake Hatfield

Now THAT'S funny!

13. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I just like shooting sparks all over the place. It makes it look like I'm getting something done.

14. slowmotion

slowmotion

Anytime my sons want a good laugh, they talk me into running a bead. Hilarity ensues.

falcongeorge likes this.
  15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I have ground so much weld in my past that the metal shavings stuck to my clothes bunched up in the washing machine and made a big sold rock of rusty bits in the drain tube. clogged it up and flooded the whole garage. I don't really even grind anything much anymore but my clothes still smell like metal sometimes when they come out of the wash.

'51 Norm and falcongeorge like this.
  16. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

bigger the job, the bigger the GOB

falcongeorge likes this.
  17. My missus asked me if I wanted flap discs or stones for my angle grinder then said, "Never mind" and left. She came back with two stones and a box of bandaids. :D

18. I just started learning, so I can put floor pans in my 40 Ford. Seems to be no sweat thus far. I've only got a couple hours in, on my MIG. But then again I'm only stitch welding sheet metal.

19. indyjps

indyjps

If I can get past welding patch panels maybe I can stop grinding my welds. Damn bodywork.

I keep 3 grinders set up when doing bodywork. My favorite tool.

20. Ahhh, just cover the welds with body filler. lol

falcongeorge likes this.
  21. LOL I knew a guy that worked in a commercial body shop and he always said, "Mud will cover a multitude of sins."

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No worries here, Santa Claus don't like me. Go figure...

23. amen, Beamer. Course it creates a bunch of it's own.

24. Its OK I like ya. Uh maybe Santa found out? :eek: o_O:rolleyes::D

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got 4 4-1/2 inch angle grinders that I use all the time. 1 with a grind wheel, 1 with a flap wheel, 1 with a wire cup brush and 1 with a cut off disk because I got tired of swapping out disks all the time.
    When my son shows up when I'm welding he usually just takes the handle out of my hand and asks for the helmet and starts welding on what I have been working on.

i.rant likes this.
  26. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

god invented the mig to fix grinding mistakes.......and grinders to fix welding mistakes

27. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No surprise there ol buddy.

You know, as a kid I truly was Santa's little helper. My dear departed Momma's name was Santa. Then becoming Dad's helper later, well here we are...

28. I gave up on pretty welds long ago, I weld strong. If I don't want a weld to show, a grinder makes it disappear, end of story