Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Welding Wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ekimneirbo, Oct 16, 2021.

1. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I have some OEM aluminum wheels that I really like. Problem is they only came in one width. They are perfect for the rear tires I want to run.............but I want some narrower ones for the front. I have the ability to cut them on a lathe and make them narrower, but don't know about getting them welded after the cut. Since they will go on the front of the car, they are pretty important. Am I worrying too much or have many others already done this. If they were steel, I'd see no problem. Oh, pretty sure they are "cast" aluminum.

2. Had a couple friends build some like that. I sold one some old slots that were narrowed up. Biggest issue would be how corroded the originals are. Could be a bitch to weld. The ones here were parted and rejoined with a "stepped" overlapping joint. it was close to a press fit before welding

dana barlow, X-cpe and ekimneirbo like this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know about the welding cast but can say that there are a few states where it is against the law to weld a rim up like that going in either direction for street use.
    Usually the guys doing that I knew were making wider wheels for circle track cars and cutting two wheels apart to make one wide wheel. That was dirt track guys who didn't have the money to buy new hoops but had a buddy who had access to a big lathe who would cut the wheels for what amounted to beer money.

4. Must be some real Nanny States folks live in. We reverse, narrow, widen wheels all the time. Of course in my circle there are some really talented fabricators.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can't weld up your own tube frame in this state and get it past inspection unless you are a certified welder, it is inspected and passed by a certified welder or you had a certified welder do the welding. Reason, too many scabbed together frames showing up and some involved in accidents because welds broke. That straight from the state patrol inspector to me. You also have to bolt your hitch on your trailer rather than just weld it for the same reason.
    We had a big problem with back ally "rebuild shops" stitching cars together and selling them around here about 30 years ago. They would buy two identical cars one hit in the front, one hit in the rear cut them in half and weld them back together, spread some bondo throw on some paint and stick them out at the curb for sale with the title to the car that was the front half. I saw one that broke in half in a mild one car roll over. That was a soft roll that if you had done it in an old VW bug you would have rolled it back on it's wheels checked the oil and driven off.

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

7. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Eric Vaughn/Vaughn Machine in CA has both widened and narrowed cast aluminum wheels for me.

9. Welding cast aluminum is no big trick as long as it is clean, and has the correct pre heat. I will say I will not weld any aluminum wheels for street cars period! Way to much of a liability issue. If the car is in involved in an accident even if it had nothing to do with a wheel failure, If it is found out the wheel was altered/welded law enforcement and lawyers will have a field day going after the person who did it.

10. pitman

pitman

Recalled, where Al has no endurance-value, vs. Steel. which if made having sufficient 'design-capacity' does not fail. Fatigue strength is a fascinating subject.
    Goodman diagram: https://images.app.goo.gl/aViS7iZfchmJ388P8

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    ekimneirbo and VANDENPLAS like this.
  11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Eric is the man if he’s still in business. I believe he is in Pasadena.
    If you was to see how it’s done go to You Tube “aluminum wheel repair” watch the Middle Eastern guys fix and build rims. Unbelievable what guys can do.

ekimneirbo and Tman like this.
  12. personal freedoms. I have more than you.

13. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Some OEM wheels are forged aluminum and some are cast aluminum, I would think the forged wheels would make the job much easier and safer.

ekimneirbo, pitman and VANDENPLAS like this.
  14. I just watched another where those "inoperable" aircraft were being rebuilt from others like insurance rebuilds with junkyard doners.

ekimneirbo and VANDENPLAS like this.
  15. Legality/liability aside, there are vendors who repair/widen/narrow aluminum wheels, just don't expect it to be cheap...

ekimneirbo, VANDENPLAS and Tman like this.
  16. I did a quick search, there's a lot of alloy wheel repair shops out there. There must be a bunch of 'em, google search specified 'near me'...

ekimneirbo, VANDENPLAS and Tman like this.
  17. We also have shops that will widen or narrow wheels for your car.

https://weldcraftwheels.com

ekimneirbo likes this.
  18. Bummer

ekimneirbo and seabeecmc like this.
  19. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I know that you can get wheels widened or narrowed here in Michigan.
    @Tman got my point.

ekimneirbo and Tman like this.
  20. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

My point was, why bring politics into this. They don't hot rod.

RustyBullet likes this.
  21. Actually Noem does. Between the ride the Guv leads every year at Sturgis she also hosts the Various OT mustang Camaro and vette rally's leading a cruise for each. Just need to get her in an early roadster. ;)

22. So she's not HAMB approved? .... LOLOL

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  23. pitman

pitman

Careful....careful!
    All we need is few True believers!
    Things go south quick-like :eek:

24. At work I deal with a welder that has more certifications then I got hair on my head.

there is a lot of structural stuff that he can weld up no problem , the law states as long as the person doing the welding is certified in ( what ever certification is required for that particular job)

But , there are certain jobs when he needs to get an engineer to inspect and tell the welder “ how to repair / fix / build / what ever it is I’m asking about ( overhead guards on a forklift are a thing that cannot be touched or modified with out an engineering stamp )

my guess would be wheels would need a welder who knows his stuff to accomplish this. As has been stated last thing you need or want is an accident and they are your wheels have been modified.

there are a bunch of places up here that straighten and weld aluminum wheels. Not sure if they would widen or narrow them , but it’s a start.

pitman, ekimneirbo and fauj like this.
  25. I don't think this would be a big deal. Lest we all forget, a fair percentage of aftermarket aluminum wheels are already of welded construction. Both American and ET sell two-piece welded wheels with a cast center and have for years, I'm sure there's others too. I'm not aware of any of these being problems. Like I said, just don't expect it to be cheap...

ekimneirbo, brigrat and Tman like this.
  26. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I'll take my crow well done...

27. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Another vote for Eric Vaughn in Monrovia, Ca. He's a super cool guy and does outstanding work going back to the early Pasadena area days of PWood, P&J, etc. He no longer widens wheels but does do wheel narrowing. Give him a call.

https://ericvaughnmachine.com/Services.html

ekimneirbo likes this.
  28. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

As far as liabilities go, I'm 76 so don't think I'll be around for any lawsuits. Lets face it, if you build any hot rod and sell it to someone else.........if they wreck it they can find a basis to sue you.:)