Register now to get rid of these ads!

welding table top question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TRUCKRODDER, Jan 10, 2007.

1. TRUCKRODDER

TRUCKRODDER

I am building a welding table and I am using scrap stuff that I have handy. I have a piece of 1/4 inch sheet that is 4'x6'. Could I double the 1/4 inch up for the top and weld it together in a few places or do you think it will cause it to warp? Thanks in advance.

2. squirrel

squirrel

that might cause it to warp...but also I don't see why you'd want to do that, what would you gain?

3. TRUCKRODDER

TRUCKRODDER

Well I was tthinking the 1/4" would not be thick enough for the top , am I wrong? Most everything I have seen on the internet was 3/8" and up.

4. squirrel

squirrel

If it's supported properly, it should be plenty thick for normal home shop use. Might not cut it at a commercial welding shop....but if you were a commercial welding shop, you'd buy a piece of 1/2" steel

My welding bench is smaller than that, only about 2' x 4', supported on 2" square steel tubing frame, works fine with it's 1/4" top plate. You will probably need some support in the middle of a 4x6 piece of 1/4" plate if you'll be working on really heavy stuff.

5. 61bone

61bone

Depends on what you will be using it for. For general welding and fitting 1/4 inch is fine if supported properly, If you will be using it for forming and jigging you can't go to heavy. My table has a 1" top with 1/2 x 4 stringers and 6" heavy wall legs and a 1/2" shelf supported by more 1/2 x4. Weighs about 2400 lbs. It dont flex , warp or move under most circumstances. Important for straight and trueness.:)

6. TRUCKRODDER

TRUCKRODDER

Squirrel , on your 2x4 table did you put a center brace under the 1/4"? Is 2x4 about right for your uses , seems about right. Thanks for your help. I tend to be an overbuilder , Grandad always built stuff heavy enough for an elephants ass to sit on, I would have wanted it 3/4" and up until I saw the price of plate:D !!

7. squirrel

squirrel

my 2x4 foot table is just supported around the edges, the front edge overhangs the support by 2" for clamping. It sure feels solid to me.

It is too small for some projects, of course. But I'm limited by the size of my little welding room....big stuff goes out into the main part of the shop. If you have room to make the table the full size of the sheet, with room to work around all sides of it, then go as big as you can.

8. TRUCKRODDER

TRUCKRODDER

:) Thanks for all the help! That is what is great about the HAMB , quick response and lots of knowledge. I am going to start on it this week , almost have all my scrounging done.