Register now to get rid of these ads!

Welding question...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dabirdguy, Nov 24, 2009.

1. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

Hi all,
    I am building some custom motor mounts.
    I have a round tubular bushing from a rear end shackle, with the rubber inside captive.
    I need to weld mounts to the outside steel sleeve while distrubing the rubber as little as possible.
    The sleeve is about 1/16th inch thick tubing.
    I want to weld three 1/2" rods to this sleeve to hold it firmly in space. The motor will mount via a bolt thru the center of the bushing.

I was thinking of submurging all but the top edge of the shackle in a small pan of water and then doing very short overlapping spot wleds, giving the metal good time to cool between shots.

Anyone ever done this or know of a better way?

2. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

How about trying to find a piece of tubing or leaf spring end and install the bushing after welding.

3. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

That would work BUT...
    The bushing I bought is a "one piece" in tht there is a steele core in the center surrounded by a rubber coating inside a steele sleve.
    Adding a spring eye to hold this bushing would be too big and ugly.

4. There is no way the rubber will survive. What kind of motor? We need more info. If it's just a welding question, it will kill the rubber bushings, welding 1/2 " thick rod to 1/16th " wall tube will have to involve heating the rod more then the tube to get good penatration, submersing it in water will cause the whole thing to cool to rapidly and result in very poor welds. You can do it but it will be at the expense of the rubber bushings.

5. skullhat

skullhat

have the bushing pressed out ,or get a new one as mentioned.

otheriwse you're gonna smell up your garage, and need a new one anyway

skull

6. shawnspeed

shawnspeed
    from Attica Mi

find a piece of tube the bushing will press into , weld the rods to that ,then press the bushing into your engine mount