Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Welding patch panel from inside?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HRS, May 4, 2017.

1. HRS

HRS

If the inside of the piece is accessible, say a cowl side, is it preferable to weld a patch from the inside?

I noticed on my roadster cowl, the gas tank hole was filled with welds from the inside.

Thanks!

2. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Filling holes in my firewall, welding from the inside. Less clean up in the outside. As long as you get good penetration with your welds, you're good. Did my quarter panels that way as well.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think it's good when using MIG. That way you don't need to grind the hard weld. When welding with TIG it should fuse flat enough and not need as much grinding.

loudbang likes this.
  4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

This is my firewall, cut patches to fit hole(s) and hold or get someone to hold a thick piece of wide flat thick brass stock on the back of areas you are welding it to. I then tack welded (MIG) holes and patches from outside and will TIG them up later. The weld won't stick to brass and no dags on the inside making it easier to finish later. Brass will get HOT.
    If you can't find someone use some magnetic triangles to support the brass against the panel and then hold it flat with some steel RHS tubing behind on the magnetic supports sandwiching it to panel..
    upload_2017-5-7_13-25-53.png

upload_2017-5-7_13-26-31.png

Last edited: May 6, 2017
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

jackalope likes this.
  6. chop job

chop job
    from Wisconsin
    1. WISCONSON HAMBERS