Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Welding on rear axle housing?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RMR&C, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Poh

Poh
    from Quincy,Ca.

I just finished these two this week, one for a back halved 34 ford pickup, the qc is for a 34 Ford 3 window. Both done with a jig. I have done them without one, but now I don’t have to.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

anthony myrick likes this.
  2. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

There is also available from welders supply outlet a form of heat absorbing mud that comes in a can that you can use over and over.

3. alchemy

alchemy

I think with the heat putty or cold rags, by the time the heat reached the putty/rags the damage would be done. Shrinkage will happen right at the weld point.

4. murpa

murpa
    from .

I welded four link brackets and shock mounts on a 8 3/4 Mopar and it would take out the left seal in a few miles. Took it out and brought it to a guy with a jig and he could not believe how far off it was. he was able to straighten it. and i have never had a problem sense. I Done Warped It Bad !

Poh likes this.
  5. If you want to find out if any axle assembly or rearend is straight. mount two bare rims that are matched on it. place the assembly in a known to be straight section of channel or I beam. If you have 4 contact points on each rim its perfect at that position. Now slowly rotate the center and watch to see that you have the 4 contact points on each rim the full 360 degrees.