Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Welding on Frame

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by allanjon, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

Not just a good one, but a near perfect one. That is where they become "thin on the ground" and the prices get into the three figures. Something that is not rotted through is a much lower and cheaper hurdle. I see that Dentisaurus is in Mass. The rust conditions in much of the country are more than a bit different than the southwest. Because we have more survivor cars does also change the demand side of the deal. This '40 is my seventh and in the chassis butchery early on was often my own doing. There is a special appreciation for things that are not screwed up. It is painful to read the threads where guys labor over rough projects that would have been junked years ago. '40 number 7 is a deliberate exercise to build without going down that path. The two years was not spent searching but getting a couple of other early Fords ready to sell. I'm still multitasking along with number 7. A Cragar B Model A roadster and a Model A pickup are also in line. No rusty among them. Good Luck: Fred A

2. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

OK, you have a 39 frame, but what year body to go on it? IFS is OK under a full fendered car like a 39-48 because it doesn't show, but on a fenderless car like a A or a 32-34 it looks out of place. I'm keeping my 47 Linc I beam because it's what's there and it works fine for me. It a fat fender, so IFS would be invisible unless you laid on the ground under my car to see it, but what I have is not costing me any more money and like I said, it works fine. There are plenty of options for good brakes for the I beam from Lincoln Bendix brakes to late model discs. The 39 rear would be fine with a low HP flathead, but if you're going with a later V8 I'd go to a more modern open rear, Ford 8"or 9"or 8.8", Chevy 10 or 12 bolt, or if you find one, late 50's early 60's Olds or Pontiac.

razoo lew likes this.
  3. allanjon

allanjon

I went to Back to the fiftys today, and not one vendor, has 1935-40 Ford I beam axles or kits, I was told they stopped making them for those years. Anyone have any ideas where to get one?

4. 3blapcam

3blapcam

I'm not actively looking for you, but I'd bet Speedway Motors has everything you need. If not, Chassis Engineering has something, Pete & Jakes, So Cal Speed Shop... and worst case scenario, There's a MILLION original axles out there that you can send off to be dropped!!! Okie Joe is great at dropping and making sure your axle is ready to go when you get it back! Honestly... I'd go original axle and drop it as much as possible from Okie Joe, new king pins and you're pretty much done! Maybe find a stock front cross member, put it in (if it's been modified) and you're almost done!

I'm with Fred A... there's millions of these frames out there! It's nothing special. I know the guys in my shop will have one for sale pretty soon... we'll ship it up north!

3blap.

Just Gary likes this.
  5. allanjon

allanjon

Thanks everyone for your imput, I found Magnum has the axles, or send out what I have. I will get some photos on here to show progress.

Just Gary likes this.
  6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When did you join the HAMB? Remember when this dude would have been given an electronic extrajudicial summary execution for talking out of turn with that few posts? I do.

It is called contribution, and community building, not showing up, and immediately calling out other people for what they are doing, or not doing.

According to my browser log, I spend an average of 18-minutes on the board per day.

Last time I checked, there are 1,440-minutes in the day. You can ask around about what I do with the rest of my 1,422-minutes. Let me know what you find.

iwanaflattie and Bandit Billy like this.
  7. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

If we wait long enough someone with enough posts will say a mustang 2 is traditional then we can all have them

dmar836, Tutashen, Lucky667 and 4 others like this.
  8. Manager

Manager

He joined in 2008, about 10 months before you joined as it happens. I guess in your 18 minutes you wouldn't have had time to look.

dmar836, neilswheels and Lucky667 like this.
  9. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

clunker likes this.
  10. hotrodmano

hotrodmano
    from Norway

Yes I am. I guess some of you measure knowledge in how many post one have here. Well. Im 53 and have had an actual life outside the HAMB for many moons .
    Oh and...was I wrong in my statement? Just wondering

Sent from my SM-G930F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

clunker and Hubes45 like this.
  11. I was defending you! :cool:

12. Chassis Engineering in West Branch Iowa has everything you need for this car including the dropped axles. No idea which fucking tool you talked to at BTT50s that said there is nothing made for these cars???????????????? fat fender Fords have been hot for decades. . If you are near the Cities contact Jeff Bloedorn, he goes by Titus on here, (he even drops axles) sounds like you need a mentor and he is the perfect guy

X38 likes this.
  13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not knowledge.

You missed that the critique was based on contribution to the community, over time.

Neither has anything to do with age.

Who enjoys someone barging in the door and shouting: "You're doing it wrong!"

Establish a history, demonstrate your qualifications, and actually help people, BEFORE delivering unhelpful criticism.

14. 6inarow

6inarow

I bet there are a hell of a lot more mustang 2s on here than anyone cares to admit

Lucky667, NashRodMan and hotrodmano like this.
  15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio

16. Budget36

Budget36

So I have this old Chevy clip out back, think it's a '65...and just picked up a '32 Ford, any tips on getting this thing to fit?

No, wait, I mean I have this '65 and want to put the '32 axle under it...

Or do I?

PS Hey Gimpy, I see your sig line change, that guy hook you up?

Lucky667 and hotrodmano like this.
  17. How about a picture or two from the o/p , before we get too far off course here.
    So far, the answer is : Yes, no, maybe.

clem likes this.
  18. allanjon

allanjon

19. allanjon

allanjon

Ok This is the 39 in progress, my first photo installed, I am wondering if its better to buy 4 inch drop axle, or send the old one in?

20. He was just kidding. Here's the give away:[​IMG]
    I've seen hotrodmano's posts around, he's never a jerk. That was clearly just a good natured kick in the nuts, (like every other single member does). Sheesh. Read his post history, he has chops. There's only a few truly brilliant people on here, too bad they ain't all as nice as this Swede is...

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Lucky667 and Tman like this.
  21. I was going to respond further on the frame repair. Still haven't seen one.

22. hotrodmano

hotrodmano
    from Norway

Ehhh. Norwegian...pleeease.

Lucky667 likes this.
  23. hotrodmano

hotrodmano
    from Norway

I know. Sorry but it was difficult to respond quickly in a 31 bone with comfort like an ancor :D
    And sorry about the derailing allanjon. Not my intention :)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    Lucky667 likes this.
  24. It had too many syllables, so it was between that and Finn, and I thought that would confuse people here because of Star Wars....

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

hotrodmano likes this.
  25. clem

clem

Pictures of the frame in question would possibly help to answer the original question.

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup. I the seller actual market value, instead of the pittance he was asking, to ship them. He seemed pretty happy, and they look really good.

27. metalman

metalman

If you got a good stock axle send it in. No brainer in my book, less money and quality Henry steel instead of unknown off shore made stuff.

lewk and gimpyshotrods like this.
  28. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

I have had a bunch 39s/40s and only one had a mustang. Ride was no different than a m2.

29. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I had a similar experience. 16 years ago, a guy brought me a 36 Cabriolet with a dropped axle with a C.E. front suspension kit, and powered by a 350 Chevy. It rode and drove great, but he wanted a dressed up flathead, and a stainless independent front end. In the end, I didn't see any difference, in the way it drove. His old front axle and related parts are now under my '40 pickup !

30. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

EVERYTHING you will need for the front and rear suspension can be purchased from Chassis Engineering INC. Its well designed stuff and works great. By the way I have put about 30,000 miles on my 40 with beam axle and Parallel rear kit (and other parts as well) from them. It drives and rides great. They also have great customer service and tech support.
    40magazine.PNG

putz and brEad like this.