Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Welding in a Walden insert Model A Coupe.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Raunchy, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Raunchy

Raunchy

I will soon be welding in the Walden Insert on a 30 Model A coupe. I found a thread on here where a guy called Grits said you can weld the insert in THEN put your wood in. The thread he referred to is gone. Has anyone actually done this? I would like access to work the welds which is not possible with the wood in. Also if you have done one did you set the insert down in the recess on the top and it sets on the tack strip or cut the roof to fit the insert and butt weld it? I want to retain the wood and paint the inside of the roof. It would be easier to do without the wood in.

Sent from my SM-N960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can't you work out how or if you could get the wood back in with the top welded in?

I can't comment on an insert on an A but to the best of my knowledge all Bobby's inserts are for flush fitting. Only this last weekend I eventually summonsed up the courage to remove the tack strip on my 3w to commence my install. Have some final trimming to do and will soon be welding! I'll be putting the wood back in but on a 3w that can be done from inside.

You could always ask Bobby anyway! Super helpful and approachable guy if you don't already know him.

Chris

Lil32 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. Raunchy

Raunchy

Nobody can help on this?

4. wahoo

wahoo

On the Walden speed shop website, there is a tutorial on how to chop a '32. In the last episode, they weld in one of his roof inserts. Definitely worth watching the whole series.

scrap metal 48 and Rich B. like this.

5. Raunchy

Raunchy

Thanks Wahoo.

6. Never2low

Never2low

@Flop, might have some input.

7. Raunchy

Raunchy

I watched the #20 of the 32 chop and it shows the basics of doing one on the 32 but I would still like to know if someone put the wood back in after the top is on? On a model A.

8. clem

clem

Are you referring to all the wood, or just the cross braces/tack strips that hold the netting up ?

FWIW , on my 32, we just welded our own steel insert in, whilst the perimeter wood was left in place.
    All the cross bracing ( or whatever it is called) was missing. I don’t intend to replace it at this point, but don’t understand why with a little forethought and planning and maybe modifications, it couldn’t be done.

9. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Here's a pic of the top replacement on my '31 that shows the bows. As you can see, if you weld in an insert first you won't be able to put the bows in from the top and secure them as the factory did.
    [​IMG]

lothiandon1940 and Dino 64 like this.
  10. If it is a solid roof, why do you need the wood bows, they were there to hold up the chicken wire? You can make some sort of headliner bows that bolt in the sides if you need it for upholstery.

11. Never2low

Never2low

@flt-blk is right. You really shouldn't need any of the top braces, but if you want to add one or two, for something to attach a head liner to, then cut them short and add an end that bolts to the side rails.
    Like this;

Capture.PNG

Raunchy likes this.
  12. Raunchy

Raunchy

I was worried about burning the wood where the top tacks down but I think the insert may be outside of that. And I can put it in afterwards that's the plan. Thanks for all the suggestions.

13. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

Please take pics & post them along the way. I am interested in seeing what you are doing.

14. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I hope you are not thinking you can get rid of all the top wood just because you are welding in an insert. The header is what the visor is attached to and the the door fit is determined by the side wood attachment to the header. Nailing the side panels to the side wood also adds rigidity. If you get rid of the wood, SOMETHING will have to retain the door fit (at a minimum). There's really good reasons all that wood is there (and not just because tooling was not very advanced back then).

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Is that metal under the bows?

16. wdglide

wdglide

Well. Did you do it yet? I'm getting ready to do it myself in the next few days. I was curious if you came up with anything on the wood. Also any other experiences or suggestions?

17. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Really can’t see how you could install the bows after welding. There should be enough of a gap around the edge to put a welding blanket to protect the wood.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  18. wdglide

wdglide

Got my wood installed after the insert. It was very easy. I posted a thread on it.

akoutlaw likes this.