Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Welding Helmet

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mike Colemire, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

There was a thread on here about this but I just thought I'd share my experience. I had a fairly new HF helmet and have been having problems seeing while trying to weld. I had tried a few others with the same results. I tried the cheater lenses, up to a 3.5 with no luck. I got lucky and got a used Jackson in nice shape and with a 1.5 cheater in it, I was amazed at the difference. This thing is awesome. I was blaming it on age but this helmet sure changed things. Hope this helps someone out there.

Jet96 and slack like this.
  2. Big Plan Dan

Big Plan Dan

Thanks, Mike. I've had the same problem and given up on welding. All I could see was the puddle...nothing at the edges that would lead me in the right direction. I couldn't do a plasma cut (same reason) although a young guy using the same equipment cut an alligator out of sheet metal. I don't ordinarily wear glasses so my eyes aren't that bad. I thought it was my helmet but tried a couple of others without luck. I will look into the Jackson.

3. SNS FAB

SNS FAB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You might look into some of the new colored lenses also. I've tried the yellow and blue ones. They seem to filter certain colors differently, allowing you to see the puddle and what you are welding clearer. If you have light reflecting into your helmet from the back side that could have a negative effect also. Hope this helps.

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

A good quality welding helmet is the answer for a lot of people who have trouble seeing through the cheap helmets which many times aren’t worth the effort of taking them out of the packaging or box.

The cheater is helpful too but you are suffering from the typical old guy syndrome in saying and thinking that your eyes aren’t that bad.

Truth is that as you get older you will eventually need glasses for a lot of daily stuff and especially things like reading and welding.

Your eyes are nowhere near as good as you think they are if the young guys are showing you how it’s done :D

Uncle Bob likes this.

5. gene-koning

gene-koning

My eyes don't work like they used to. There are a few things I've noticed with my welding helmet.
    First, the lenses on the helmet get dust and smoke covered pretty quickly, dirty lenses makes it harder to see through.
    Second, I wear eye glasses that have the automatic darkening lenses, sometimes I have found my eyeglasses to be pretty dark after doing several short welds. That is not suppose to happen, but it does. I bought a new pair of non-darkening safety eyeglasses and that has helped a lot.
    Third, I've gotten to the point where I often have a trouble light shining on what I'm working on. Welding in shadows makes following a line a lot harder. The extra light makes a huge difference. Gene

Uncle Bob, KoolKat-57 and trollst like this.
  6. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I only wear reading glasses, 1.75, I even tried them welding and couldn't see. I had pretty much given up on welding also, dreaded to even have to pick it up. I welded 2 frame rails on the bottom yesterday and could see just fine. I know my eyes aren't as good as they used to be but I can see to weld now. When I'm not using the helmet, even if it's for just 5 minutes, I put it in a garbage bag. There was several Speed Glass and Jackson helmets, used, on ebay but they bring good money.

7. gene-koning

gene-koning

I weld for a living. When the helmet isn't on my head, its hanging on the welder. I've gotten to the point I clean the lenses every day. I take the lens apart and clean both sides of each surface with water and a soft cloth. You would be surprised how much stuff collects on those lenses in a day. Gene

alanp561 and 73RR like this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good point there. I run into the old eyes thing welding and usually try to weld outside in bright sunlight.
    I've got about 5 welding helmets counting the small lens one and the large lense Jackson, the HF I bought several years ago, one from Coastal farm an Ranch that sucks, and the Optril OSE Evolution that I bought off a guy who got it in a package deal with a welder but already had a favorite helmet. That is the one I use.

9. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

I'm a big fan of my 30 yr. Old speedglass , an have tried others...

10. Modelabc

Modelabc

If a guy is MIG welding [wire] it is usually best to go to a #9 lens before going to 'cheaters'. The # 10 usually supplied is a tad dark unless you are doing arc & etc.. Usually the #9 will solve the problems with 'seeing' the puddle in the dimmer light generated by steel wire welding. . Sure, if it is just 'bench' welding in easy positions and you have some extra money and want to look cool buy one of them big clunky Auto Darkening hoods. I made a living for a lot of years welding and I'm here to say that the heavy hoods are not only uncomfortable they often too big to get into some positions. An old 'composition paper' Huntsman cannot be beat in price and utility. By the way....ya gotta learn to 'hide' a lot lot of the arc with the cup....then you'll be able to see where you are going, especially with a butt weld. Sometimes it's best to use soapstone on the joint to be welded as it is then easier to see where you are at.

alanp561 likes this.
  11. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is something I learned by accident several years ago and it helped me a bunch. If you have not tried it, please do as it will make a difference.

13. southcross2631

southcross2631

On my Harbor Freight auto darkening helmet . I set it on 9 and I have taken the straps off one of the free headlamps from harbor freight and velcroed it to the top of my helmet. Now when I have trouble seeing I just reach up turn the light on and it shines directly on my weld . Helps these 68 year old eyes .

Bugsy48, seb fontana and pat59 like this.
  14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have never tried a Jackson helmet.
    Just wonder if any of you with a Jackson helmet have tried a Speedglass?

15. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I talked to one guy that liked his HF helmet better than his new Speed Glass. I heard good reviews on the SG helmets. I can't see crap through my HF, tried 2 new ones, with light or what ever. The Jackson turns to a blue color when you strike a weld. I figure I'll save money now, won't use near as many grinding wheels, LOL.

16. Did this a year ago and damn what a difference it makes for these 70+year old eyes...... plus light was free.velcroed it HF welding helmet....
    welding helmet light.jpg

Bugsy48 and seb fontana like this.
  17. gene-koning

gene-koning

I've had a lot of autodarkening helmets over the years. They tend to come in 3 levels,
    1) Cheap. Low investment, usually crappy head gear and non-replaceable batteries.
    2) Mid range. $100+ range, usually have much better headgear and replaceable batteries.
    3) Expensive. $200+ range. These have headgear with lots of adjustments, replaceable batteries, and many have more light sensing detectors.

There are options spread out over the price ranges, some lower priced helmets have options usually found on higher end helmets. Some of these options include, but are not limited to headgear choices, battery choice, viewing size, adjust ability, outside shape, and color options. Helmets are a lot like shoes, find ones you like that fit and work for you.

Things on the option list for me are:
    It has to have replaceable batteries.
    I don't want the cheapest headgear, nor do I want one with lots of adjustments that don't stay put.
    I want the biggest viewing area I can get.
    Lens adjustment is great, but not on the outside of the helmet.
    The narrow helmets fit into tighter places.
    I don't care what the graphics on the outside look like.

I've had 2 Speed Glass helmets, one older one, and one more modern, I wasn't impressed with either. My current helmet is a mid range Hobart. it seems like a pretty good helmet. Gene

18. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

After several "cheap" hoods I broke down a bought a Speedglas 9100 from Cyberweld. Best hood ever! Cheater lens (plastic kind) of your choice fits right in. I beat that hood to death every day at work.

19. Agree with all you said....I have been using a #9 gold lens for 25 years with good results......but also listen to the arc for fine tuning.....