A little over a week ago I made a foolish decision that caused me a large health set back. Our outdoor wood burning boiler that heats are home, large shop and a portion of our barn that is a wood working shop needed an emergency repair. It is very cold where we live (Tweed Ontario) and had been -30C at night and not much warmer in the daytime. One of the cast iron grates had broken and as a result, we were unable to auger out ashes. This prevents air to circulate and keep the fire in the boiler hot. I had to make a new grate from 1" x 1/4" bar stock. As my mig welder was out of gas, I decided to use my arc welder. I could not find my respirator so I opened the shop door and directed the smoke out with a table fan. This was not good enough. Between the welding fumes and the boiler smoke I developed severe lung congestion that took two trips to the hospital to get help. I am recovering but am still at home coughing up large amounts of gross phelgm . I have learned a lesson from this and have taken steps to avoid a similar problem in the future. I bought new respirators with proper filters and a large industrial air cleaning unit for my shop. I hope my experience will help others that safety must always come first!