Register now to get rid of these ads!

Welding chrome exhaust tips?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by a/fxcomet, Feb 14, 2004.

1. a/fxcomet

a/fxcomet
    from Eugene, OR

I want to weld on some chrome pinciltip exhaust tips. The guy at the exhaust shop said they just tack it in 3 spots in the inside of the pipe. That way it looks clean from the outside. I was wondering how safe this is being so close to the gas tank? But exhaust shops are welding on exhaust systems all of the time, and welding near gas tanks, right? Do they have any special operating procedures? Could I tape up the cap?

Just dont want to blow anything up.

2. I;d say just take your time and use as little weld as you need. As long as you've got a tank that isn't leaking all over the damn place, you should be fine. My friend welded his chrome fishtail tips on his '64 galaxie at his house... and he's just an amature welder. He did three small welds as well.

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

We weld em every day.

4. polisher

polisher
    Alliance Vendor

minimal weld at three or four different points.
    If you over heat the chrome and blue it, polish with aluminum oxide.
    Don't subject the chrome too excessive heat, if it's triple plate it will blister the copper and you'll need a plating job, invisibly touching up chrome is tough.

5. Get everything really clean, and you'll be alright. The cleaner the area to weld, the less sparks will fly....

6. Just don't weld them to the tank! [​IMG]
    Make sure your tank isn't leaking, put some sheet metal between the tank and exaust while your welding, if the exaust is close to the tank. Or you could take it to a muffler shop. It takes about 5 min. Can't cost much.