Register now to get rid of these ads!

Welder price advise

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by poofus1929, Oct 13, 2009.

1. mottsrods

mottsrods

That's exactly right, by the way, i just found a Lincoln 175 on local craiglslist for $500. It comes with a tank, regulator, spool of wire, and a cart. Anybody want it, pm me and i'll send you the link.

2. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

BINGO!

Do yourself a favor and use that $150 to buy a nice used Victor torch and a decent set of regs.

Your sheetmetal will thank you.

As an added bonus, once you learn to metal finish, you'll be able skip most all that bondo sculpting and the endless sanding that comes with it.

:D

3. 38plymouth

38plymouth

Pawn shop deal??? Make sure it works before you put down your cash. Pick up a small roll of 030 flux core and a tip. Take a couple of small pieces of 1/4" steel and try it out first. Good luck.

4. The only thing I could think of is if it's in a pawn shop, make sure it's not stolen merchandise, too.

5. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

6. 60 GASSER

60 GASSER

If you buy this 110 or another get a heavy cord! I tied into one leg of my 240 volt tig cord and run my 110 on it that you dont have voltage drop and it doesn't weld like shit.

7. my47soto

my47soto

I wish I could comment, but I was a cheap ass and bought the northern tools 135, works well for me until momma lets me upgrade. It's your money spend it how you feel, but make sure it works. No need to add insult to injury if it's junk.

8. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

i have three welders, miller 250 tig, hobart 200mig and a lincoln 3200hd, ibought it for the 110 volt portability, i can tell you i use it pretty often, it welds just fine and you cannot buy a new one for 200. i would try it out and if welds good i would jump at it. it is set up for gas or flux core. i paid 200 for mine at a pawn shop it welded like shit , but when i opened the side cover i noticed it was wired for gas not flux. i paid the man took it home changed the wires on the terminals and it welds great, be sure and check how it is wired before you condemn it. they are a decent welder for the money, jmo

9. giddyup-go

giddyup-go

my millermatic 135 is just fine for sheet metal its 120v, and it cost me around 600. It came with everything needed for mig. If I weld anything bigger than like 3/16 angle I'll use my Lincoln buzzbox, its old but man I get great welds out of it. Your only gonna see the difference between 120v and 240v when your weld somthing thicker, The more amps your gettings out of your welder draws more amperage from the electrical. 240v is just better at handling the bigger draw.

10. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Like someone else already said, if you can't weld the sheet metal from a 27 model year car with your 220 volt welder, you need to do a lot more practice. I can weld 20 GA sheet with my 251 miller using .035 wire.

As far as the used Lincoln (or any other used welder) at the pawn shop (or any place else), the only way i would buy that was if I could try it out. You have no idea what that welder has been through. You already know the gas guage is missing and the whip is beat up, did the last guy burn up the unit too? Gene

11. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

Dude.........get yourself a decent welder.......220 volt..............Need to weld something thin like autobodies..........
    1. use .023 wire
    2. change your polarity
    3. change your shielding gas.......

I'm a professional welder, faber', and enginebuilder..........there's no reason why you can't get a good deal on a quality Lincoln or Miller.........as you were told......Lowes has em', cheap, and with the .023......there's no reason why you can't tack up 'modern' sheetmetal bodies........unless your running WAY TOO HOT!

12. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

AMEN BRO. !!!!!!!..................:cool:

13. Vinny of Destruction

Vinny of Destruction
    from wisconsin

That was me :D and I use 035 wire in mine as well .