Register now to get rid of these ads!

Weld thru primer - What brand do you use?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jeffrob, Dec 7, 2007.

1. jeffrob

jeffrob

Read a ton of old posts on the subject, a lot of mixed opinions on the 3M brand.

What brand are you using? Or are you using anything at all???

thanks

2. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I've got some 3m stuff at home, don't remember the part # though. But my next can will be some cold galvanizing compound. It's alot cheaper and actually has alot of the same chemicals as the weld thru primer.

3. jeffrob

jeffrob

Does the 3M can completely empty?

Many of the older posts stated that the can was half full & would not spray any more. Another guy mentioned that 3M was addressing this problem, but there were not any newer posts related to that.

4. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

i use the wurth stuff and it works great. you do not get the splatter like the 3m stuff.

5. gotwood

gotwood
    from NYC

You will never get 1/2 the stuff out of the 3M can. Actually I just picked up Krylon weld through primer at ACE Harware. Never tried it?

I have used quite a few and honestly the 3M is the best but the price and the aggrevation just sucks. There is a Greek brand sold through supply houses that works fairly well. SEM is also not bad.

6. Weld through primer? What the hell is that?........

Just kidding ....We use U-POL weld#2 copper rich primer (it's actually a COPPER color and not a zinc primer) and SEM 39783 and have had no probs at all. 3m just sucks but if you HAVE to use it store the can upsidedown and shake the hell out of it before use.

7. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had two cans of SEM weld-thru-primer and both of them stopped spraying after about half the can was used. Bought 'em both at a paint supply store and both were less than a couple of months old. I tried cleaning the nozzles with thinner and warming the cans in hot water, shaking the shit out of 'em, and nothing! They were just through working.

8. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

I"ve always used Weldmark spray galvanizing PART #wm 306. It's a zinc rich coating that I get from the local welding supply store, about $7.00 a can. Always have had good luck with it. Its manufactured by Dynaflux out of Indy Indiana.

9. 3M has adressed the problem with the 5917 weld thru primer in the purple can. Most of the old problems were from the tip becoming clogged after initial usage. Look for the purple can. Great stuff

10. 4woody

4woody

Me too- bad luck with SEM

11. jeffrob

jeffrob

Thanks for the replies. I will check my local weld supply store next week.

12. TxRat

TxRat

I use the 3m stuff. works good for me..

13. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

I've found that the Norton brand is really good. I've been through cans of stuff at the shop and it has never clogged. In fact it I have to pay attention when spraying cause it blasts out the can. U-pol is my fav but its pricey. The cold spray that they sell at tractor supply is great stuff to...

14. tinmann

tinmann

3M works great if you have the patience to let it dry for an hour or two. But like the others have said, you pay way too much and only succeed in emptying half the can before the nozzle clogs and craps outs.

15. ryangobie

ryangobie
    from Jersey

ya'll holding the can upside down and emptying the tube and nozzle by spraying it until only propellant comes out after you're done? that works for me with spray paint.

16. That is the trick to keeping the heavy zinc content flowing.

17. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I do that religiously, but the SEM still clogged.

18. Rustoleum rusty metal primer works good.