Register now to get rid of these ads!

weld in 35-40 ford k-member???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hammerndollie, Sep 20, 2011.

1. hammerndollie

hammerndollie

Does anyone know of anybody offering a k-member kit for the 35-40 ford frames? I have a customer wanting his tudor stiffened up. I will most likely end up building one from scratch, just looking for some ideas on how to go about it. Thanks
    Mike

2. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am only aware of generic kits and the one that opens up the center for a 700R4. why does he think his chassis is "loose" ? is it not boxed? boxing and welding the intersection of the X legs to the main rails will go a long ways. also is there any damage / hacked out area(s) that need attention?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  3. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

I think Henry has the best center x-member going and it came stock it in all his '35-'40 frames... As a matter of fact it came on all his frames, '34 to '48 inclusive... an then some... Maybe he just wants stiffer shocks???

4. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

5. George/Maine

George/Maine

I guess you are talking about the trans area if stock,Chassic Engeering has a good one bolts in,thats for a different trans.If going to IFS should be boxed in front.

6. hammerndollie

hammerndollie

This is a very "interesting" fella. This is a running driving car built about a decade ago. He claims there is a shimmy at about 50 mph. I guess a really smart guy he knows says the frame is flexing. I kinda doubt it, but I'm going to go ahead and stiffen either the stock k member itself, or build something from round stock, I'll know when I get under it. It's had a junkyard mustang II put in by God only knows who, god only knows how, and I think his troubles are there. He does not...

As far as stiffening goes, it does still have the stock K, but someone has torched out large windows for exhaust, trans clearance, and a few others I can't figure out why. I will fill the useless windows and form some strapping around the cut edge of the clearance cuts. And just in case the rivets that hold it all together are worked loose, I'm going to weld it straight to the rails. Does anyone see this being a bad idea?

7. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. hammerndollie

hammerndollie

Mainly streetrodders around here, like I said, older(90's) build. Not everyone is blessed with the grace and knowledge of the hamber...

I climbed under the car today, GOOOOOD LOOOORD! I can see a handful of handling problems, from the cracked lowers to the rag joint on the steering gear. A new customer isn't necessery, but some work is. Even wierdos need work ya know... I'm going to start by stiffening up everything on the underside, please the man, then move on to the REAL problem areas, thanks for the help though!

P.S. The bad idea was asking about welds replacing the rivets... Thanks tho!

Until we all meet again in Spaceballs II, The Search for More Money.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
    48fordnut likes this.