Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Welcome to the 2017 Meltdown Drags

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Oct 6, 2016.

1. squirrel

squirrel

scary handling is bad...hmmm....

I wound up fixing most of my handling issues by adding air to the rear tires, and taking some out of the front tires.

powrshftr and Gammz like this.
  2. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Been getting this set up along new shifter for reverse pattern. Also has a transbrake. Other trans lost 3rd gear. Havnt pulled it apart yet to see whats wrong . Going racing this weekend to make sure all is good. 20170624_105017.jpg FB_IMG_1498319307749.jpg

3. Slopok

Slopok

Can someone please tell me what the spectator admission price is for an adult & children under 12 for Saturday ? Also what time do the gates open? Thank You!

loudbang likes this.
  4. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

http://meltdowndrags.com/schedule/
    I think most of that info is here?

Slopok likes this.
  5. Saxxon

Saxxon

I'm good with the Canadian stuff... don't drink nearly as much as I used to. Health concerns and common sense have taken over. (Stupid old age) I now prefer to sip in a gentlemanly manner and enjoy the company.

We talked briefly about a Nitro tune up for the Prefect... but it keeps getting faster every time we take it out and we do nothing to it - so why mess with it. As for the Scout - I'm about ready to take a sledgehammer to it these days. Once I get it sorted out I plan to encase it in plastic so I don't screw it up and then - maybe - have a winter where I'm not messing with the combination.

loudbang and Uncledirty616 like this.
  6. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Saturday is $20 for adults... best deal you will ever find. 10 plus hours of racing... not just 60 cars racing!

Kids are free under 12

The gates open at 10 am for spectators.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Slopok

Slopok

Ok thank you very much, see ya's there!

loudbang likes this.
  8. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

[​IMG]

"Back to Byron" Evil Twin Shirts AVAILABLE!

9. IMG_3128.JPG IMG_3130.JPG
    What's that Uncle Dirt!? Can't ya see I'm thrashing here! Cleaned up our other set of magnesium 5 spokes, and bringing some short shoes for the Child. A 1" reduction (6" less roll out) ought to put a little more scat in her scoot!.., and way easier than changing the rear cogs!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  10. powrshftr

powrshftr

Lookin forward to seeing you guys too Joel.It's been too long!

Dog_Patch and DubG like this.
  11. powrshftr

powrshftr

image.jpg
    That's actually one of the issues we're addressing today,Jim.I thought 15psi was tons,but Jon T told me some of his buddies run 18-20psi in the same size tire and they actually hook BETTER,not worse!You learn something every day.
    Also booked in a front end alignment for Thursday morning.

Most importantly: Happy Independence Day to all our American Brothers!:)

Scott

12. Tires are a very miss understood thing. Every car has different needs. The tires side wall has to be matched to the weight of the car. A 3500lb super stock takes a stiffer side wall than a 2500lb altered. Some cheating can be done with tubes. Tubes stiffen the tire. Either way you have to have the right tire to start with. The more pressure you can run the faster the car will go period. Photos taken of the launch are great tuning aides. If the front of the tire is wrinked up or folding over itself the pressure is too low. Big burnouts look cool but destroy sidewalls. The sidewall turns brown when they get burned making the tire junk. Tires with white letters show it real good. Most tires today only need a few seconds to get up to temp. The ideal tire temp is a temp that matches the track. Thats why some crews uses a temp gun. So on a sunny
    day with a air temp of 80 and a track temp of 130 only 50 degrees is needed. That only takes a few seconds to get that kind of heat. The additional temp will also increase pressure by a few pounds so there is a balancing act there. No tire even setup properly can make up for a poor suspension. Measure the circumferance of the tires to make sure they are even. Missmatched tires really effect handling. If not even we inflate the small one to 35lbs and let it sit in the hot sun. It will stretch. Keep a eye on it. If the tires are dry and worn tire softener does work. We have a home made brew we use that can bring a tire with a durometer reading of 50 down to 35 real fast. It brushes on.

loudbang and powrshftr like this.
  13. Help me out here - what's "less roll out"?

loudbang likes this.
  14. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And...I got some great advice from an old Lions Gasser Guy. He mentioned all the old school Gasser tricks we replicated on the Austin...quarter eliptics, 60" ladder bars etc., etc., were done back in the day for a reason: crappy tires and slick race tracks. Take those same successful weight transfering techniques and ad state of the art rubber and VHT soaked start lines and it is over kill. We run 18 to 20 lbs. in the slicks to help replicate some slippage and let the old school stuff do their job!

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  15. The measured distance a tire rolls in one revolution, its fancy speak for, it's gonna go through the gears sooner, and turn more rpm in the lights, and less tire mass to accelerate, Translation.., better ET ;). We went from an 11 x 29 (92" roll out) Hoosier to a 10.5W x 28 (88" roll out) M/T. We were turning 7200-7300 before, should be 7500-7600 rpm now. If the air is similar to last year, we should run a mid 10.40, maybe a high 10.30, but that's about it for this engine. It's still got the Skeeter killer oil rings in it, so I finally dumped the dyno oil, lashed the valves, and adjusted the clutch/lightened the counter weight some, so we're are just slightly tweaked from last year. I'm gonna try out my ole 950 Holley 3BBL, but I'm bringing the purple rain carb too. The MSD box we had the last 2 Meltdowns was screwed up, and stuttering the spark at about 1200 feet, so I changed it out to an old reliable box and coil that has been used for dyno work without issue. I'm hoping the old box was holding us up more than we realized, so the replacement box will give us a pleasant surprise. It was a surprise to me that those Hoosiers ever hooked at all, as they were on the car when we bought it, in 2004.., you know, 12 YEARS AGO! Their age was making me nervous, but we're still bringing them for back up.

16. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Rocker studs ready for pins! Last box of 3/32 Spiral pins in Grainger's system will be here tomorrow, less than 1 minute per stud[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

"Back to Byron" Evil Twin Shirts AVAILABLE!

17. The coupe was out at wisconsins largest car show handing out event flyers. I met alot of people who are coming. I passed on alot of info. There should be several new people coming this year. ATTACH=full]3581184[/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

Dog_Patch, loudbang, enloe and 5 others like this.
  18. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I realize I am not a racer but a swap meet guy but I have a question. It looks like I am going to try to head out Thursday morning and I was wondering if there was a way for swap meet guys to get in Thursday evening.
    if there isn't, Is there a Comfort Suites or a Hampton or something else close by?

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  19. Todd's Rod's

Todd's Rod's
    from MInnesota

goes to paint sunday gonna be a long week. still have a lot of concerns about my limited experience level. But we will be there. worst case we will be old and slow. If you are slower then 13.99 do you need a helmet? I find this tech inspection confusing however we are following the rule book one item at a time. IMG_0691.JPG

20. DubG

DubG
    from Nebraska

i don't know for sure but i do know it's never a bad idea incase stuff hits the fan...

wyatt "the Gasman" Gammel

Dog_Patch, saltflats and loudbang like this.
  21. cs39ford

cs39ford

The close by would be Rockford or Rochelle. Super 8 in Rochelle /Dekalb. Also Dixon That makes it a 40 mile away Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    enloe, loudbang and DubG like this.
  22. DubG

DubG
    from Nebraska

You should be able to. I know my dad and I are gonna try and get there Thursday a little after noon and there's a grass area we camp at next to the car.

wyatt "the Gasman" Gammel

enloe and loudbang like this.
  23. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

FYI, They had a fatality crash at Byron where the driver was ejected out of a 9 second car recently. I would expect them to be fairly strict on safety equipment inspections at tech. If you know something isn't good, I wouldn't expect them to give you a pass on it at tech.

Dog_Patch, DubG and loudbang like this.
  24. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

All-

The guys at tech (Byron track staff) have been tightening things up every year. Unfortunately much of it is due to common sense items. Last year racers had to buy over 30 dual carb return spring kits from the Brothers Specialty Auto booth in order to pass tech....THIRTY!

Be safe and be smart...this is not a competitive event or Street Outlaws. I remember last year a guy ran a 9.95 and came over to talk to me to apologize for going under 10.0 and that he wouldn't run that fast again since he didn't have a license...that is smart and the right thing to do.

It goes to the first rule of the Meltdown...BE SAFE!

BigDrag, powrshftr, DubG and 6 others like this.
  25. powrshftr

powrshftr

I started researching helmets today.
    If everyone (like myself) who bought one of those cool looking Biltwell Bonanza helmets,thinks that just because it's fairly new it will meet Snell 2015 requirements,y'all better check again.
    I'm helmet shopping tonight.:(

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

saltflats and DubG like this.
  26. I will volunteer for tech duty on Thursday. I bet I could get deep into the 150 on the wait list.

loudbang, DubG and saltflats like this.
  27. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Be Safe and Have Fun
    If you have a question on something about your car just ask someone will be happy to help.

loudbang and DubG like this.
  28. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

I wanna go fast...... Ricky Bobby

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang, saltflats and DubG like this.
  29. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

So Gammz when are you buildin a car?

loudbang and Gammz like this.
  30. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Man. That's a good question...... wait didn't I kinda build one already?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang, saltflats and DubG like this.