Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Welcome to the 2017 Meltdown Drags

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Oct 6, 2016.

1. yeah, Dave really is !!

loudbang and saltflats like this.
  2. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Yeah tanners wheel stand antics are great he knows how to put on a show here is the link to the video

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I just wanted to thank all involved and all you guys that brought all those bad ass cars. I retired from racing (open wheel dirt cars) in 2005 and just started playing around with hot rods. I drove mine 200 miles there and had to drive it back home, so it's not really a race car but I enjoyed myself all the same and I was able to run a 12.88 @ 111 so I was pretty happy about that. Problem is I'm feeling like I'm getting that bug again like I need to build something more like a dedicated strip car. Just exactly what I said I wasn't going to do HA!
    EDIT: I Just noticed that my post makes it sound like I just recently started messing around with hot rods where is says "I just started playing around with Hot Rods" what I meant was I started playing around with Traditional styled Hot Rods In 2005 when I retired from racing. I've always been a car guy. I grew up around racing, my Dad managed the local dragstrip and ran A/Fuel dragsters and later Sprintcars So I've alway had muscle cars ETC... I am terrible at conveying what I actually am trying to say when I post on message boards.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    Dog_Patch, racer-x, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  4. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

AJ maybe you should tell everyone how scared you were on the first run against me my little mouse motor scared the elephant in yours so bad you red lighted so bad the clocks didn't even count the run I'm not even sure I would call it a red light because the light never came on lol sad part is when I left way after you I was right on your roll cage when I crossed the line you know what they say the car always runs it's best just before it blows up lol I am probly glad the clocks didn't work cause I would guess that pass was in the high nines which was way faster than I should be goin and I'm sure the track officials would have shown me the way out the gate lol

5. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I have been thinking the same thing

loudbang and Russco like this.
  6. old sparks

old sparks

If you have some skills a welder and a tubing bender available, you can put an 11 second bantam or dragster together for less than 5 grand. I have a friend who runs 11.40s with a stock 350 he pulled out of his old street rod in a 23 t altered. He claims to have less than 4 grand in it. He said the most expensive thing in it is the convertor. I gave him an old t body and a 9 in. rear end We bent the cage up at my place in two days. Of course with a 4.56 gear it`s just a matter of time

7. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Hey, it was great pitting next to you and your crew this year, and thank you for the tow back to the pits also the use of your fryer. We had a great time and hope to do it again next year.
    We will be praying for your son to beat this, hope I can meet him next year.:cool:

Deuced Up,

Thank you for the gift cert.
    Kilpatrick has a machine shop, going to start building a 302 s.b.c. for road trips in my 64 Chevelle.
    I have the sj 327 block and 283 crank, this will help speed up the build.

Norb

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  8. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No problem, glad it will get used. It was great to meet you and put a face with the name (or avatar so to speak)...
    In fact that was the best part of the trip for me, meeting so many great folks from this thread!

55belairx2, Gammz, saltflats and 2 others like this.
  9. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

Thanks Norb. He's doing pretty good so far. Im getting ready to go back to hospital for the day and overnight now. We had a great time and look forward to pitting with you again next year. Hope to be in the 11's by then! I'll pm you my number. See ya buddy

55belairx2, Gammz, saltflats and 3 others like this.
  10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I need to give a big THANK YOU to Randy aka Deuced Up for stopping by my house on the way to the Meltdown Drags.
    We had started talking and messaging back a forth back in February about some lettering on the car to give it a look more worthy of the spirit of what we are doing.
    Now I know this is not hand painted but I can say that Randy knocked it out of the park.
    So this was Wednesday night at 10 pm that he shows up as Nathan and I were finishing up the rear brakes and bleeding the system.
    Here's some shots of the master at work in the tight confines of my shanty town shop fighting for space to get the job done.
    And I have to thank Ric and rest of you guys for all the salty slang's to give me the vision to name the car.
    And I think Randy did a killer job of pulling of the vision I had in my little pea brain.
    20170712_221455.jpg 20170712_222408.jpg 20170712_230024.jpg

11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Another shot of how close it was to getting the car done for the big race.
    This was Thursday morning making final adjustments before we hit the road.
    20170713_084827.jpg

12. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

Glad you made it Salty! The car looked great with the new lettering! The blurr effect is really cool!

13. jimdillon

jimdillon

I agree the lettering looked period correct IMO, good job Randall. Car ran pretty good too James.

14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Thanks I just need to work on making the car a blur when I hit the loud peddle.
    Thanks as much as wanted to step up this year is was just not in the card.....maybe next year.

15. I think salt shaker fits perfect and looks great. Its not over done. Really sets the car off.

16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Thanks.....It kinda keep the eyes above the lower belt line and we don't want to got there if you know what I mean.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Salty, talking with you in the staging lanes made the time fly waiting for the track crew to get there brake in. The new lettering really pulls the whole car together.

loudbang and saltflats like this.
  18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Thanks.......Man was I sleeping on that run....you would have thought I was taking lessons from Jeff.
    I think my mind was still thinking about the rear end swap and not the racing part.

loudbang, 55belairx2 and enloe like this.
  19. stupesnova

stupesnova
    from wisconsin

It was nice getting to meet many of you and also to reconnect with others! We had many people come up to us and say that they had been following the build on the H.A.M.B. Many of them never gave us a name but said they were impressed with how the car looked. Thank you again to the Meltdown crew for doing what they do! I was very happy to see the MDA recognizing the Young Guns! Wyatt, David and Carly are hopefully going to inspire other kids to put down the video games and keep this going! They are the future! If we can help out with anything please just ask! Looking forward to seeing many of you at the Fall Out and the Pie eating contest in June!

20. Smokeee

Smokeee

21. Smokeee

Smokeee

22. Smokeee

Smokeee

23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

24. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

This 60 BelAir had to have been one of the coolest cars at The Meltdown.

25. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

[​IMG] lt looks like I need a little suspension work. Great picture though

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. Skai High

Skai High

Thanks John and thanks for the help rounding up a pair of axles after my friend broke 1 and twisted the other on the first pass Saturday. I will have to get the car running better and get the right gearing so I'm competitive next year. I hope to see you back in the 55. I also hope to see James again but not so much of the back end of his and everyone else's car.

27. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

I'm rather fond of this shot of the Skai High car.
    skai high.jpg

28. SLCK64

SLCK64

So I dont start a new topic of a easily answered question....Short of a "full cage" what would be your guys' recommendation of a roll bar in my more door 64? 6 point? Going for some rigidity and just safety. High 11 sec car tops.

Obviously for Uncle Sam's pie eating contest and Meltdown Deags.