Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Weland drag star 6x2 chevy v8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Louie's private parts, Jul 23, 2018.

1. So I've held on to this for a long time. Make a long story short i was going to run it on my 54 chevy chop top but realized it was a huge mistake. So my best friend was going to turn 21 so my gift for him was going to be that intake with the holly 94's but he died just shy of his birthday. So it sat in my upholstery shop since then. I held on to it all these year. I realized that i would always get reminded about my friends tragic death. Im ready to let it go but dont know where to start. Here's a picture of it on my 54.

Attached Files:

2. Classifieds.

3. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Back in early March, 1960, we built a 283 SBC with a Weiand 6 carb manifold. It had 6 Stromberg 97s. When it was complete, we put the SBC in our 40 Willys coupe for the B/Gas class at Lions Dragstrip. It took a while to get the carbs adjusted and running well. The sound it made when we stepped on the gas pedal was intimidating.

Once the adjustments were made and everything seemed OK, we were driving on the streets for a test run. The acceleration was instantaneous and the lightweight 40 Willys flew down the block, headers, mufflers and all.

We ran it in the B/gas class until early June when we got a hold of an Isky Gilmer 671 blower drive and complete set up for our SBC. By then, we made the 283 into a 292 with speed parts to go with being a 671 powered SBC. We really wanted Hilborn Injectors, but could not afford them at the time, so we stuck with the 6 Stromberg 97s on a new, flat Weiand maniford for the top of the 671 blower.

Again, more adjustments were needed and finally, it ran well. The last test was a cruise as far as the skimpy Moon Tank would allow for a run to the drive-in restaurant in Bixby Knolls. (our estimate was to be able to drive 8-10 miles on the 2 gallon Moon Tank.)

Jnaki
    upload_2018-7-29_4-26-38.png upload_2018-7-29_4-30-35.png
    The 6 Strombergs worked well with and without the 671. But, in the end, when we took the Willys apart, the old Weiand 6 Carb Manifold for the 283 without the 671, was the first to go when we listed it in the Drag News Classifieds. There were no hold backs, as we were liquidating everything drag racing, from our home built 40 Willys parts and motor. The new buyer was going to put the Weiand 6 carb manifold on his 283 Chevy sedan.

As sad as a memory is and was back then, there were no tears shed when the old parts were flying out of our garage door to anxious buyers for their new builds.

Let it go…you will feel better once it is gone. We did after our tragic Willys end.

upload_2018-7-29_4-24-46.png
    The motor was accidentally listed as a 283, but it really was a 292 c.i. and the complete motor went to a buyer from the Midwest. Everything else was gone in a few months. Nothing left except for a hydraulic floor jack and our Craftsman tool box with all of the guaranteed for life sockets, screwdriver, wrenches and stuff.

mad mikey likes this.