Register now to get rid of these ads!

weird coil ...mallory? need id

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56olds-ERDY, Sep 20, 2004.

1. 56olds-ERDY

56olds-ERDY

ive never seen a coil like this one.maybe it was a common one i dont know.the only numbers on it are on the bracket.24957.theres what i think is a M on it.anyone know what years these where around?
    eric

Attached Files:

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Is Mallory Magspark (I think that was the trade name). This was used with a special distributor with dual points set to open alternately like a dual coil distributor, not overlapping like a normal dual point, and the coil itself had two sets of windings that fired alternately through the center pole to a conventional single-coil cap. In other words, a dual coil and a dual point distributor dropped into a blender...

3. 56olds-ERDY

56olds-ERDY

woh thanks for the info.i guess i wasnt expecting to hear that.that is some wild stuff.
    eric

4. NorwegianV8

NorwegianV8
    from Sem City

I got this one
    n,o,s in the box, it say:
    Mallory rev-pol,reverse polarity
    change-over kit
    to convert mallory double-life distributor to the rev-pol system 6-volt
    Not shure year but the form say printed in U.S.A. 2-62

Attached Files:

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, rev-pol...now what the heck was the magspark?
    Blasted memory leak...

6. OldsRanch

OldsRanch

My dad's 53 stude built in 1959 has that same coil. Weird!

Thanks for the topic, its another piece of the puzzle.

7. LIMEY

LIMEY

I've got a Mallory mini mag with a power pack & a coil simular to that, i think mine dates to about '62 or there abouts.

8. 56olds-ERDY

56olds-ERDY

cool soo its a reverse pol. one then.that would make sence since it was on a 394,but the story goes it was in a 40's gasser.
    eric

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Found a 1962 Sparkomatic mail order catalog under my desk. Mini-mag was a real magneto. Magspark is ANOTHER dual winding thingy, containing a "transformer" (??) and two windings, apparently working from normally spaced dual points, and giving two sparks per cylinder! My flying guess is that the points were separated electrically and so fired the two windings separately a few degrees apart, but that is a guess.
    RevPol isn't in this catalog. My memory would place its intro to the mid sixties, but I don't have any other olde catalogs here.

10. 56olds-ERDY

56olds-ERDY

thanks for clearing that up bruce.thats very confusing the way they made them look soo simular.
    eric