Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects weight certificate

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unkamort, Jul 16, 2012.

1. unkamort

unkamort

how would I go about finding a state certified scale somewhere between San Bruno and SF? I have appointments for the smog ref and brake and lamp cert on Wednesday... I'd like to get it all done in one day to avoid having to rent a truck/trailer twice.

2. Special Ed

Special Ed

Let your fingers do the walking.... :)
    Simply look in your local yellow pages under "Public Scales".

3. Any truckstop.

4. flyin54

flyin54
    from modesto ca

Check your yellow pages for scales or truck scales, or call the DMV and ask them. It's been a loong time ago, but I think there was a truck scale off of Army st down near the piers. Seems there was one near the Cow Palace as well.

5. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

what those guys said.....any truck stop worth their salt will have one....getta meal and visit with the hickied wait staff!

6. Cerberus

Cerberus

Make sure a certified Weight Master weighs it and gives you a wet signature weight certificate. DMV is very picky about this.

7. fordpatina

fordpatina

I took a truck to a acrap yard they gave me a certified weight for it and it worked just fine. good luck

8. Any chance you could find the information published somewhere that you could use? What type of vehicle are you dealing with? Have you tried the Early Ford V8 Club site (assuming it is a Ford) and fordarn with the question of published weights?

Charlie Stephens

9. goose-em

goose-em
    from Louisiana

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, it will cost you between five and ten bucks and they will give you a certified printout with the weight on it.

Google certified scales or truck scales or Cat scales in your area.

http://catscale.com/cat-scale-locator

11. unkamort

unkamort

Thanks for the replies. Only 2 listed in the local phone book... the one in south city is no longer in business. Try the other one tomorrow. The internet search turned up nothin' but yelp reviews so far. As I said I got dates with the smog ref and brake and lamp... I'd also like to run it by the trans shop and let him take a quick look at my kick throttle set up, so with traffic Oakland may be out of the picture. My trailer skills are sadly lacking. Trying to use my head to make all this as painless as possible, and get it all done!

12. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

smog ref? Are you titling a "Special Construction" vehicle?

13. unkamort

unkamort

yes... its a special construction deal

14. well if you are in a farm area a grain elevator had a public service inspected scale

15. Cerberus

Cerberus

When I was in the business, I had Suisun Valley Fruit Growers weigh my trucks. Their address 4163 Chadbourne Rd, Fairfield, Ca 94602. On the town border with Suisun off 80. (707)425-2503. You should be able to find a closer certified weigh station. Contact Bureau of Weights and Measures, Ca.gov, via internet.

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use the one in Oakland.

17. I used the local United movers scales. Ten bucks includes a certificate!

18. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

We have a Mayflower Moving Company that has a scale plus they can certify a weight certificate.

19. unkamort

unkamort

This is turning into a real problem... closed, won't weigh vehicles, or just flat won't answer the phone. Been at it all morning with no good news

20. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

If you have AAA, they may be able to direct you to a scale. When I moved to California and brought my El Camino with me, I went to get plates for it and was told that the state considers it a truck and therefore has to be weighed (?!?) and a certificate provided. AAA sent me to a scale about a mile away from their office. Done.

21. chevymike

chevymike

I have used a local moving company twice with weight certs for DMV. Check you local larger moving companies.

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well being as NOR Cal is a big place it's hard to tell if you are in the bay area, Stockton or up in Yreka and a bit difficult for anyone to come up with a viable location.

You might even be able to get a weight slip from the local scrap yard that would work.

I suggested the Cat scales earlier because their weight slips are a no nonsense professional weight slip that is universally accepted.

23. Ball and Chain

Ball and Chain
    from Nor Cal

That place by the shell station off grand ave exit right as you get back on 101 does the weighing.

24. Its been 4 or 5 years but the scale by the cow palace was operational then. I weighed the truck before heading back with my tools etc.

25. Yes, location specifics could help. In Livermore you can go to the dump on Vasco Rd. I used that before for an old truck.

26. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

When I moved South recently I neede to transfer my registrations. I built my m/c trailer using a 39' Ford rear end back in 68', and they told me to get it weighed. I asked where and they said any truck-stop, so I did (700 pounds).

27. unkamort

unkamort

Sorry... I thought I'd said I live in San Francisco. I found a place out off 3rd and Cargo Way that says they can do it. Hope for the best.