Register now to get rid of these ads!

webers & s/blocks?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by onelow48, Sep 26, 2003.

1. onelow48

onelow48
    from Maryland

I've been having carb problems since I got my ride on the road. For some reson I find myself looking into weber set-
    ups. They look so money. Does anyone have any imput. I
    don't want to be tuning every oother day. Are the decent
    on gas milage?

2. purple

purple

<font color="purple"> If you're talking the 4 2 barrel set up, they need to be adjusted often. </font>

3. onelow48

onelow48
    from Maryland

That is one off them I've seen, I have a book at work
    that shows some manifold parts and show a veg diagram of
    six webers with a fuel rail. It states small block app.
    The cover of the book is missing. I am at a loss. I allso
    show other app's with fuel injectors. Any clue? Before I
    deside to spend the cake I want to explor all the options.

4. It'll be easier to sort out your present combination.And alot less money.But they do look good.

5. onelow48

onelow48
    from Maryland

Yea I'm with you. The weber thing is now but later. Just
    wanted to know what to keep my eyes open for. I work with
    mandral lubing and have all ready started the colection for
    the zoomy's. Moma said! One mans junk another mans tresure.

6. Rix2Six

Rix2Six
    from So. Cal.

Hey.. this is a place where I have some expertise. I worked for the largest distributor of Webers in the US from 78-88. And I was the "go-to" guy when anyone in the area had a Weber problem. When I was in College, I was working one day a week and selling more Webers than the rest of the store did all week.

Normally the set-up you run would be 4 48IDAs downdrafts. If you want a tinker free ride, I'd recommend against it.

I ran 2 48IDAs on my VW. First, you gotta get them jetted in right. Their strenght is also their weakness. There are a lot of changable parts... off the top of my head there's chokes(what we would think of as a venturi) aux. venturis, main jet, air correction jet, emulsion tubes, idle jets, idle jet holders and pump squirters. I may have missed some. Needless to say, even if someone is running the exact same set-up as you, the jetting can be different.

Next is Syncronizing the carbs. Once I got used to it, this would be a 15 minute job every week or two. With 4 of them, it's gonna take longer. Better linkages need less sycronization... One advantage on a V8 is all the carbs are mounted on a single slab of aluminum. On the VW the manifolds are separate and have a vastly expand and contracting motor between them.

Also, IDAs are racing carbs. They don't have much mid-range but that can be compinsated for by going smaller on the chokes.

7. onelow48

onelow48
    from Maryland

Based on your experance. What would you say is the dollor
    figure on used set-up if I come across one. I'm willing
    to try it. I just don't want to get shafted. If I don't
    like the set up it will look good on the book shelf.

8. My dad has been running a 4 carb Dellorto weber setup on a small block for years now. Never has run all that great. We've tried all sorts of different jets, idle and air adjustments, etc. It's been a major PITA. If you're looking for something just to slap on, give a quick tune, and go this is not the type of carburation you want to use. They do look and sound cool, however.

As my brother likes to say... K.I.S.S.

9. Rix2Six

Rix2Six
    from So. Cal.

A wild ass guess would be $2K for a complete setup. If anything, I'm on the low side. I'll ask a few ppl I know about what the going rate is.

Also, not many ppl know that you need to run a fuel pressure regulator on them... no more than 3.5 PSI

10. Rix2Six

Rix2Six
    from So. Cal.

I've messed with Delortos some and they are not Webers. Of course they're a lot less $$$ than Webers. It's not that they're bad it's just you get what you pay for.

11. metalshapes

metalshapes

I love webers!
    They are very ajustable, The trick for the street is to go WAY small on the venturi size. ( you are flowing some unbelieveble CFM anyway ), so the carbs get a good strong signal to work of. They can be tuned to give real good milage.
    After they are set up right, the only thing that would need more tingkering than, say a Holley, would be the syncronizing between the 4 carbs.
    Dont go for the 48 IDA's, they are to big for the street, and they are expensive ( about $900 a piece ).
    What kind of Smallblock do you have?

12. Here's my set up. Got them about 10 years ago. I've had them on the 48 twice now just for shits and gigles. They are going on my bubble top project. Not sure what the carbs are. Hell I'm not even sure who made the set up. I think the intake is an Ultra. It sounds cool. You can hear each cylinder sucking like a quiet exhaust.
    Clark

Attached Files:

13. metalshapes

metalshapes

I got this setup from a guy that had it on a '70 style C-cab that he had bought that way. Could not get it to run right, and with that linkage I'm not surprized.
    It is an original Shelby intake that was modified for Sidedrafts. And it has 40 Dellorto's.
    I was going to put it on my '64 Falcon Sprint V8, but i sold the car...

14. metalshapes

metalshapes

Here's another...

15. From what I've read/heard while trying to learn how to tune these types of carbs is that Dellortos are on par or better than the Weber brand. If they were cheap knockoffs I don't suppose they would have been the carb of choice for Lotus and Alfa Romeo.

We also have a set of Solex side-drafts that are supposedly setup and jetted for the 355 they are to go on, but I can't confirm that since the motor and car they are destined for has been sidelined by other projects for the past decade.

16. Rix2Six

Rix2Six
    from So. Cal.

[ QUOTE ]
    Not sure what the carbs are. Clark

[/ QUOTE ]

Look like 48IDA They also made 46IDAs but they were pretty rare. Could be 40 or 44IDF. If you give me some more close ups (each side and top) I might be able to give you a more positive answer.

17. Jimv

Jimv

Total performance sell INGLESS carbs which is kinda a knock off of the webers &amp; They're the only ones who swear by them, they're alot of trouble. look like shit,&amp; the performance iasn't that great!! stick with a 3 duece or 4 duece setup if you want multi-carbs &amp; then you wouldn't have to worry about anything.
    JIMV

18. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I had a complete setup from Ingless (sic)........and they ran very poorly. It was a high $$$ deal. Chrome, polish and all....the set looked great. I had the fuel pressure regulator too.

Never could get them to run correctly. I gave up and sold them to a guy and he loves them.........but he never drives his Tbucket either.

[​IMG]

19. BigJim394

BigJim394

I knew of a lot of guys who tried to run a Weber on a big inch Harley in the 70's and early 80's. They looked cool (though I thought they stuck out too far and made you have a "one knee out" riding style). Few guys actually were able to get the performance benfits they thought they would get out of them.

Most guys eventually when to a Dellorto or usually an S&amp;S carb as they couldn't get the Weber to run right (and that's just one carb).

20. metalshapes

metalshapes

The only reason I prefer Webers over Dellorto's is because all my spare jets and spare parts are for Webers.
    The Dellorto's are suposed to be just a little bit better than the Webers, but nothing you'd ever notice on the street.
    They are both beautifully made, and very efficient.
    I have had years of trouble free driving from several cars on Webers. ( Including my tow vehicle at the time! )
    Once set up right, the difference in torque is unbeleveble.

21. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

My dad and I built a 302 with quad webers(48 IDA's) and once set up,were totally reliable and that motor screamed.when your tuning them,either on the street,or a dyno,the important thing is to go slow and get one thing right then move on,and keep records of every change you make,as there are lots of variables as someone else mentioned.
    we had a lot of trouble with sync-ing them early on,so we rebuilt the linkage system with less joins and high quality rod ends,made a big difference.I'd say theyre worth the effort.

22. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Webers are Italian. Italians make Ragu.
    Nuff' said.

I'm joking, shit I gotta Weber on my '63 Consul Capri, good carb, much better than a Zenith.

23. 46mopar

46mopar

Six webers and two turbos it might work.

24. What happened to the injection you where going to get.That would be the most trouble free.Then 2 turbos,or you could put 5 turbos like the old man had on the pulling tractor,then 6 carbs;You would really be cool!

25. onelow48

onelow48
    from Maryland

Alright! Got to thinking! Every time I go to work and see
    anther sad Import pass by me I want to get furter away from that hole thing. If you know what I mean. Any way I got
    a Job interview in the am. I can't stand that hole seen.

26. 46mopar

46mopar

Thats it I going to talk to Glasshole's old man and see if he can hook me up.

27. onelow48

onelow48
    from Maryland

Hook you up with what?

28. 46mopar

46mopar

six carbs and five turbos.

p.s. read you pm's

29. onelow48

onelow48
    from Maryland

I'm not with you? Have you ever herd off the. (Garlits
    ins 600 street induction) Looks realy cool. It uses a
    preformer intake with a Holly or a Edalbrock carb. There is
    a show coming up. October 18th. It's in Dundalk "hun".
    If it seems far You and the girl are wellcome to crash
    at my place.