Register now to get rid of these ads!

Webber carbs on a SBC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swimeasy, Nov 17, 2011.

1. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I would like to know more about these....:D

2. Duntov1967

Duntov1967

Yep. I am having Jim Inglese build the entire setup of the triple Offy IDA manifold shown above. He has already mentioned that because it is a plenum manifold, the standards IDA's are way too big even thou there are only three of them. Some custom made chokes are the answer to get them way down in size especially for use on the street.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  3. gow589gow

gow589gow
    from Indiana

Running Webber on my Pantera. Webbers have many throttle plates; 8 typical. They must be held down well to keep idle under control. This requires a long style spring which keeps pressure even when position is at minimum.

I set up a lawn mower spring for throttle return:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Whoa!

Here's 'nother set I spotted on the entry road to the 5/13 Jalopy Showdown:

[​IMG]

Side drafts; I know....

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  5. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Would these out perform six 94 two barrels ?.........My 355 made 550 hp w/ my setup 6x2, I would need to look at the dyno sheet to see the torque #'s........The torque # took a hit because of the maifold design which was an old Offy..........Wonder if this setup and intake would give me better #'s..........especially torque wise.............I have wondered about this for awhile and never played w/ these...........Thanks, Dave

6. gow589gow

gow589gow
    from Indiana

Well I guess the car is other but the engine is good candidate for a lot of things. It is a 400 stroked 434. These blocks are still $50 in a junk yard. The hidden secret is the blocks are basically Cleveland's with an extra inch of deck height. Heads are Cleveland heads. Easy cheap power.

7. 32STUPRES

32STUPRES

How about Weber 48's on a BBC? This is Bill Akin's 40 coupe that's I've driven many miles with this setup and no probaalems! I have a friend that is completing a 34 phaeton with a SBC with Barnes heads and Weber 48's on a custom made intake...will be killer!.....Joe

The second photo is Bill's 29 roadster with the 4 cam Ford Indy Engine and of course Webers.........

Attached Files:

8. wideglidejoe

wideglidejoe

Mine isn't a SBC, but here's my pic anyway.

It's a 428 FE stroked to 462 cu in w/four 48 IDA's.

I'm in the Tulsa, OK area (Broken Arrow), and I'm looking for someone in the Tulsa area that is a good Weber tuner. If anyone knows of someone, please PM me their contact info.

Thanks,
    Joe

Attached Files:

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Being that I haven't played with 97 on anything outside of two or three on a flat head, I can't really answer that for you. I can tell you that my gut feeling is that you could probably pull quite a bit more out of a properly set up and sized Weber set up, with better drivability. The tune ability has always been the key with Weber stuff. Not only can you tune up and down the range foe all or any given barrel, but you can tune sizing and flow characteristics as well.

10. 32STUPRES

32STUPRES

Might ask Jim Smith at Hot Rod Garage in Sand Springs, OK or ask someone how to get in touch with Doc Parsons...they both either know about Webers or can definitely put you in touch with someone who does...Good luck......Joe

http://www.hot-rodgarage.com/index.htm - Jim and Jason Smith, owners

11. TV

TV

They are not hard to set up, first get the chokes right. Then get your jets and air correction jets correct. They will work almost as good as fuel injection. We are running one on our Bonneville car.

12. TV

TV

Oh yes, set up right they will perform like fuel injection.--TV

13. mechanic58

mechanic58

I used to drag race VWs back in the 80s. I always ran 48 IDAs. I used to tune mine one cyl at a time. I always did it with my engine on my test stand though. I'd remove 3 spark plugs and run the engine on one cyl and tune it based on the sound of the exhaust note. I'd repeat the process for each cyl. It was the most effective way I ever found to do it. I'm not sure though how well that would work on a V8.

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Inglese webers and front drive dist.

Attached Files:

15. Duntov1967

Duntov1967

Oh my, that is beautiful.

16. Duntov1967

Duntov1967

Paul may be messing with us. Although they look similar to Moser heads, the plug wires are coming out the side, not the top. Not a Hemi head. And it says 16 valve, not 32 valve. And why twin cam for only 8 valves? Maybe a 4 cyl. head sat on top of the SBC? LOL

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  17. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

wow, I just found this thread, that´s some great info!
    Suscribed!

18. madmike3434

madmike3434

I saw a set of 3 videos posted on U TUBE showing FAST FREDDIE showing how to tune the weber setup using a special gauge you can buy to measure the air intake down each of the 4 center throats in IDA 48's.

Fast freddie was a big big seller of weber systems, similar to jim ingalese

google it.

mike

19. gow589gow

gow589gow
    from Indiana

When I got my Webers they were purple. I completely disassembled them, powder coated them then re-assembled them. I set the engine up on a stand and did the initial tuning. The whole process was real helpful to getting familiar with the carb:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. LBH

LBH

I am amazed that no one has mentioned how easily the throttle shafts can be bent ..... which gets the butterflies out of sinc and makes it really tough on an IR manifold application ........ to synchronize the cylinders they have to be perfect ...........tp

21. Leviman

Leviman

I have a set of 48s on my ot beetle. Love 'em! Honestly they're not hard to tune, and the sound is fantastic. I'm going to put a set of dcoes on my pontiac ohc 6.

22. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

65' 327 with inglese "maserati setup" and Summer's Bros. front dist. drive. Valve covers are the ones Gennie Shifter had about 30 yrs. ago. "Fake" dual overhead cam covers, but I thought they would look good with the webers, so have been looking for a few years for a set and finally found these. Makes the sbc look exotic, I think. Thanks for the nice comments all!

23. Duntov1967

Duntov1967

Glad you found those covers Paul. I have never seen those covers before. What goes on the front of them?

BTW, Jim I. picked up that 8 stack with the covers that I mentioned to you. It seems he never saved a pair for himself. He got the entire package just to get the Inglese covers.

24. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

I had been looking for the matching inglese covers as well, but ran across these. Still hoping to find a pr. of the inglese covers to match the webers. Glad Jim got em! He was my first call when I found the webers and to ask about valve covers. Super nice guy!

25. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

These aren't the fancy Webers, but I had such good luck with one one my previous Iron Duke motor decided to use them on this one, Going in a T.

Attached Files:

26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

27. Another Ford system converted to dare I say EFI.
    70 boss 302 going in our 32 Roadster

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    daddio211 likes this.
  28. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Nice! Like to see the '32 they are going in.

29. Got a ways to go.
    01-23-14_4.JPG 01-10-14_1.jpg 12-28-13_2.jpg

daddio211 likes this.
  30. Yep you can buy trhe complete setup from Jim Inglese. Part number 4x48IDA

jiminglese.com or 203 623 0659 it is $4.650.00