Register now to get rid of these ads!

weatherstrip wont stick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LOWLIDX50, Jan 15, 2008.

1. LOWLIDX50

LOWLIDX50

Heres the deal,I am having trouble getting the glue to stick to the weatherstrip itself. I am using 3m super weatherstrip adhesive .My customer supplied the weatherstrip not sure of supplier other than it says tiawan. I thought maybe it was old glue so I bought another tube ,no luck. I wiped the rubber off with thinner to remove any release agents but this didnt help.It was about 68 to 72 degrees in my shop at the time and was kept warm for at least 24 hours.I have never had this much trouble in the past .Any help would be great.Lowlidx50

2. Are you using the yellow or the black 3m stuff? If you put the adhesive on both the panel and the weatherstrip and let almost dry then stick together, this works the best. Use the black stuff. I used these products for years but have switched to the GM weatherstrip gel (black). It dries very quickly and when you set it in place you better have it where you want it because it is stuck for good! Holds on corners excellent where 3m always tends to pull away after a while. If you need the GM part number PM me and I will find it for you.

3. C4 Metal Werks

C4 Metal Werks
    from California

I have had much better luck with the Lock-tite brand weather strip adhesive.

4. Try your w/strip adhesive on a different piece of weatherstripping. Unless your adhesive has been around for several years it probably isnt bad. Some weatherstripping manufacturers are using the newer silicone based rubber for their parts. This stuff will not bond with anything. We went though this on the Facel . Found a different supplier that made the weatherstripping from the proper material and the problem was fixed. Also be aware that this silicone material has a different compression characteristic and you may have additional problems with the fitting and closing of doors and lids.