Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Weather Pack Terminal Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CarQuestions, Feb 2, 2019.

1. CarQuestions

CarQuestions

I seem to be a bit gender-confused when it comes to weatherpack terminals.

I have just realized that the nomenclature of the plastic connector housings is referred to as a "tower" (long skinny thingy that inserts into the other thingy) and as a "shroud" thingy that long skinny thingy inserts into.

There is also official terminology for the metal conductor part and that is the "pin" and the "socket"

Forgive me as I am old-school so I ass-u-med from a cisgendered perspective that the pin should be installed into the long skinny thingy and the socket should be installed into the thingy that the long skinny thing gets inserted into however after researching online I discovered that the socket should be inserted into the tower and that the pin should be inserted into the shroud.

So how do I remove the female looking connector? I have a weatherpack pin removal tool but its diameter is too small to fit over the female socket. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

scotty t likes this.
  2. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

They make different size pins and different size removal tools. You need a larger tool. The tool slips over the pin. Push down on the tool and pull the wire at the same time. The green silicone plug is crimped on the wire by the pin. It goes in and out from the back of the "Plastic Part". The pins themselves come in different sizes depending on the size of the wire used. Also each size of pin takes a different position on the crimper.

The male "Plastic Part" takes female pins and the female "Plastic Part " takes male pins.

scotty t likes this.
  3. CarQuestions

CarQuestions

>The male "Plastic Part" takes female pins and the female "Plastic Part " takes male pins.

They wonder why I am gender confused.

So I have the tool for the PIN however I cannot seem to find the tool for the SOCKET. Can someone please shoot a link?

THANKS!!!

4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

5. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

There is no tool for the socket. It is hinged. Open it. Then push the pins out of the back. Unless your connector is molded. Then the only option is to cut it off. tempsnip.jpg

6. 24riverview

24riverview

7. CarQuestions

CarQuestions

MGTSTUMPY

Thanks for your time in inserting these pictures!!!

I bought the B0040CRUNO yellow handled hollow tip tool however the ID of the hollow tip is 0.020 inches so this hollow tube is perfect for slipping over the weather pack pins however the weather pack sockets have a thicker OD and therefore the hollow tip of this tool does not slip over the socket.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040CRUNO/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am using 20 AWG wire pins nd sockets

Is there another tool?

It seems that the yellow handled tools must come in two sizes.

8. CarQuestions

CarQuestions

So I did find the problem…

It appears that the female “socket” was opened up a little bit whilst I was trying to ram my tower into the shroud and because the pin was not centered in the tower it tried to enter the socket a bit sideways and loosened up the socket wider than normal so that is why my tool did not work.

The use of the correct combination of bad words plus the use of a magnifying glass head light and a small screwdriver did the trick!!! Now my pin will easily insert into the socket and the connection is electric!!!

9. This is why I like Deutsch connectors... much easier to install/remove sockets and pins.

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Thought I'd turn over in my grave seeing this stuff used in our classic hot rods...
    Must have endeavored in these procedures a million times at BMW Service installations, chasing/repairing and teaching electrical/electronic 'operations'.
    But this strain was always left there at the German installation...now it's come home to roost.
    Is nothing sacred?

11. alchemy

alchemy

These are the TRADITIONAL terminals you need:

flag terminal.jpg

The37Kid likes this.
  12. The37Kid

The37Kid

One more reason my cars will never see wire.

Bob