Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Wear your glasses

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steel rebel, Nov 3, 2017.

1. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Guys I just left another of my friends house where he called me to help him. He is 80+ years old and been around cars forever. Never wears glasses A lot of you So Cal guys would know him. The '48 Ford brakes on his '34 five window that he bought when he was 13 and has put a million miles on. Literally a million miles. Has been having brake trouble for maybe a year. The way he works is he helps you and you help him. Works for him and I do owe him. I've been over there maybe three times. The trouble he said was brakes not working when hot. First I wrapped the exhaust next to the master cylinder with insulating exhaust wrap. The next time we/I installed new flexible brake lines. Then he installed a new master cylinder and asked me to come over and help him bleed and adjust the brakes. WE bled and we bled but the peddle wouldn't come much off the floor. I tried to adjust the front brakes. The right front just wouldn't adjust. The adjuster just went around and around. I told him to take off the right front drum. At a glance through my glasses I could see the front shoe had no lining. The back looked fine. He said I had it off a while back and it all looked fine. I love the guy but put some glasses on Bob.

Second story. Another good friend that never wears glasses and is in his mid seventies called me over. Said I have been trying to figure out the gear ratio on this 9" I am going to put in my rod. I have been turning and counting for two or three days and can't come up with a number. Will you come over and look at it. I drove the couple of miles and he had it up on blocks turning the axles. I came over and looked at the tag and it said 3.0. I said Don it is a 3.0 look at the tag at which he squinted and said is that what it says.

Anyway guys for whatever reason you don't wear glasses and are 40 or older you can save a lot of time if only you put on some at least drug store cheaters.

2. I buy mine for $1 each at the "Dollar Store". At that price you can have them everywhere and not worry about losing or scratching them. My eye doctor said they were fine for what I am using them for but a set of prescription glasses might be good if I wanted to do a lot of reading.

Charlie Stephens

3. BJR

BJR

I have to put on glasses to find my glasses!:D

4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man...I was just pacing myself through the story expecting to read about the sliver or line impaling the eye but this is just plain old can't see 'F' all what a relief...I remember this friend of mine wearing those reading glasses and remembering chuckling at how big his eyes looked when wearin them.

But yeah it could lead to catastrophe depending on what you didn't see for sure...:eek:

Holy Shit no lining on my shoes...I look stupid but hey now I know whats wrong...
    images.png

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017

5. I have trouble welding these days,can't see the seam like I used to.
    Ended up attaching a Led head torch to my mask,back to welds I'm happy with again.

kiwijeff, Hombre, partssaloon and 2 others like this.
  6. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

You probably need the "Beer" variety. They help you see things differently :D beer goggles.jpg

kiwijeff, hidez57, 49ratfink and 13 others like this.
  7. Yeah, I was expecting a safety lecture.... although Kerrynzl's post above could be taken as a warning...:eek:

Stogy, Dino 64 and warhorseracing like this.
  8. Well, I have to wear them all the time after an IED almost took out my right eye in 2008 Afg. Still have the eye and can see but it doesn't focus on it's own, right lens in glasses is progressive. Years ago, had a Plt. Sgt. that would come around screaming that we stole his glasses. We would laugh at him ranting and screaming at us until he figured he had them on his forehead.

9. harbor freight use to carry safety glasses with readers built in. i am down to my last pair and they don't seam to carry them any more.

10. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Been in the optical business for 40 years, heard it all. Just glad this isn’t one of those “ I fucked my eye up” stories.
    My favorite is when someone comes in and tells me he can see better with his glasses on upside down ! Thank God I’m retiring soon. Those cheaters work ok but you can get a headache from eye strain because the optical center of the lens doesn’t line up with your eye creating a prismatic effect. Sorry, to get technical, just been doing it for too long

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

kiwijeff, Stogy and David Gersic like this.
  11. 2935ford

2935ford

My glasses are part of my face! :)
    Have been wearing them since I was 5 years old.

Stogy likes this.
  12. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I have an 82 yr old neighbor who has drag raced and had old cars his whole life. This story sounds exactly like the stuff he calls me over to help with. Just the nicest guy ever and so humble but his sight and memory are not so good and it's always something simple that he misses. Like you I consider it a privilege to help him and can only hope to be as ''cool'' as him if I live that long.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  13. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

"Those cheaters work ok"
    So they dont make your vision go down hill quicker? myth?
    Ive been wearing cheaters for a few years, Its surprising what trouble you can get into not being able to see good.

Seems like a conspiracy against me that everyone has decided to make there print even smaller since my sight has declined:D

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    kiwijeff, Dino 64 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  14. All the cool kids wear 'em!
    [​IMG]

Stogy, blowby and Dino 64 like this.
  15. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I'm lost without mine. And a few years ago I got prescription sunglasses. HOLY COW! I can see when I drive in the sun!
    And just recently I've taken to keeping my glasses on under my welding helmet. Getting old sucks...and I'm only 42.

kiwijeff and Stogy like this.
  16. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

@ low budget, it’s not a myth. What happens is the muscles in your eyes that control focusing work so hard to focus that when you use the readers, the muscles relax and never are able to tighten as much anymore.

low budget likes this.
  17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Going in a few minutes to pick up my new pair. Been wearing bifocals for the last 15 years, every time, they get just a little stronger. Broke my last pair a few weeks ago, had to go back to the ones I had before that, just aren't strong enough. They help, but it's a PITA to keep looking through the bottom lens because the top is too weak. Damn eye DR stays so busy it is hard to get an appointment, took me two weeks to get one.

18. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Yup, we’re busy ! Recession proof business.

Stogy likes this.
  19. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

It’s not like I have a choice. Been wearing glasses since I was about 7. Got a prescription that makes people wince and eye doctors swoon. As a bonus, I got a sensitivity to light and glare. Progressive lenses, too. Still haven’t worked out the right combination of light, head angle, and distance to make the weld pool visible and in focus.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Stogy likes this.
  20. BJR

BJR

Sorry to here of your injury, but THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE! Brian

21. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My memory may be going due to beer but my eyesight is as good as ever. I'm sure I knew her mother.

22. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Progressives make crappy welding glasses.
    Figure out your comfortable welding distance, from your eye to the weld. Use one eye, your dominant one, usually the right. Look into the progressive towards the bottom of the lens, now move your head towards the weld area until it’s in focus, measure that distance. Take that measurement and your Rx to your optical shop and they can make a cheap single vision pair which will be perfect for welding.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

flatheadpete likes this.
  23. Good story Steel Rebel. I had to replace a wheel cylinder on the 56 Chrysler .The whole backing plate has to come off for that. I put it all back together including the brake drum and looked down and saw the piece that help keep the brake shoe flat and in place laying there on the floor. I had just put the spring on and forgot the hold down piece. So it glass{which I wear} and the memory too. LOL. Bruce.

Stogy and Barrelnose pickup like this.
  24. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I was thinking of getting the laser eye surgery but then I wouldn't need glasses and probably end up getting poked in the eye.

Stogy likes this.
  25. zzford

zzford

Not a problem here. I can't find the garage, much less the car without my specs.

kiwijeff and Stogy like this.
  26. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Yeh Bruce but that's another thread.

Rebel

Stogy likes this.
  27. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

That's what my dad always said. When I started having problems it was in areas where I couldn't pull my head back to allow my eyes to focus. I had to be farther and farther away to read things. Finally it got to the point where I needed to get glasses or have my arms lengthened. I had to wear safety glasses at work and tried the safety readers but couldn't see well with them. Turned out that one eye needed a different magnification than the other so I had to get glasses. I got trifocals so I didn't have to remove them all the time and got safety glasses that fit over my glasses so I didn't damage them.

I carried a camera to take pictures of things. Then I could take a picture and go back to a computer and blow it up very large. It also avoided writing down numbers.

28. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, what about the one my mother told me about going blind?