Register now to get rid of these ads!

wear your eye protection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bloodyjack, Mar 27, 2008.

1. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

it's something to do with the "rods&cones make up of a blue eyed person.Blue eyed people can usually see better in low light conditions than other people .Now if you happen to be a blue eyed weldor for 30 + years you been weld flashed about a bazillion times and can't see shit without about a zillion watt bulb lighting the scene!And even though you learned to wear eye protection for everything junk just sneaks around all that safety gear and gets in you eye anyway!I've had to go through the drill thing 4 times and every time I had safety glasses on and a face shield!I can just immagine how much drilling they would have had to do if I didn't wear safety glasses all the time!No I'm not super carefull I need the Bifocal safety glasses to see!

2. BadLuck

BadLuck

Im stepping up to a snorkeling mask! Eye protection with a rubber gasket!

3. Elvisaurusrex

Elvisaurusrex

[​IMG]
    I even wear mine when sanding, grinding, screwing..
    Pun intended.

4. 21stud

21stud
    from California

I can't even go under the car without eye protection. If you think it can hurt your eyes; don't even think about doing it without protecting your eyes. !!!! Losing your eye site for being stupid/lazy is not cool.

5. sammyg

sammyg

My parents always tell me that they will buy me whatever safety gear I need, can't put a value on new eyes.
    I have 1 good pair torching glasses, 1 good pair safety glasses (with spares of course, incase one breaks) they're old school, wrap arounds. Other day I was putting my oil pan on, something broke loose, you know it, right into my eye. But there were some glasses in the way, so it bounced off. I'm a firm believer in them now.
    When I was around 8 years old my mom bought me one of those wooden helicopter on a dowel things. The kind you twirl in your palms and launch upwards, and it kinda floats? Yeah my dumb ass did it the wrong way (was curious) and WHACK right in the left eye. Grandpa rushed me to the only eye doctor open on that saturday morning, refusing to let me go where I needed to until it was checked.
    I love my safety gear.
    I'm also toying with getting cert in plate welding. I use an auto darken mask for MIG. Well CHECK THOSE THINGS...! turns out after 10 years or so they go bad, replace it!! Got flash burned twice when it malfunctioned in the same day. Thought it was bad battery's. Replace them. Does it again. Welder goes off, hood goes in the trash can and we go invest in another hood. It's a sucky feeling, sandy eyes with limited vision. Plus cucumbers on your eyes.

6. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Quick note since we're on the safety subject.

A good friend of mine passed away from a rare cancer at age 37 they believe was caused/aggravated/whatever by exposure to motor oil/fumes for many years. In his case besides being an architect and motorsports writer he was a major collector of petrol-belia, and breathed in oil fumes from dozens of those cans every day and night of the last 30+ years(he had thousands and created one of the first collectors guides I believe). His family asked me to let people know so they don't have the same fate. Love you and miss you Earl Ma. You're always in my heart.

I also wanted to mention that exposure to oil/chemicals can cause what's described below. I used to work in the oilfield with super strong cleaners and whatnot and I knew a guy whose hand was permanently dried out, like a bad chapped hand, from exposure to these. I guess that's the 'defatting of the skin' they talk about. Anyway once its done its done, no lotion or anything will fix it. It's a good reason to wear those latex gloves.

Skin Contact:
    Lubricating oils are generally considered no more than minimally irritating to
    the skin. Prolonged and repeated contact may result in defatting and drying
    of the skin that may cause various skin disorders such as dermatitis,
    folliculitis or oil acne.

Finally, Tinnitus is the ringing in your ears you hear when it's silent. It's caused by cumulative exposure to loud noise and only gets worse. The damaged/degenerating hairs in your ear generate this high pitch tone. If you're reading this, odds are good you have it, and nows the time to start using ear protection so it doesn't get worse and make you crazier than you are already! ;) :D

/safety rant off

7. 1gearhead

1gearhead

Did the same thing about a year ago. It was piece metal from die grinder and it went in to the pupil. End result I lost 50% of my vision in my right eye. WEAR EYE PROTECTION!!!!!!!!

8. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

Actually I was thinking masochist (sp), though you might be able to make some cash as the poster boy for how NOT to work in a shop.

9. tjm73

tjm73

Why would you not wear eye protection to begin with? You only get two eyes.

Glad it worked out for the plus in this case.

10. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

Home Depot sells goggles that are not as bulky as those used in chemical labs that work well over glasses. I don't grind without them. Had a cutting disk explode on me a couple of weeks ago and would have smashed my glasses (and eye probably) but the goggle took it, though nicked the plastic.